Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

Cool video, thanks. My Tail-Spot is hilarious, such a personality.

When I introduced an Arc-Eyed Hawkfish a couple months ago he went nuts for a while, turning all pale, back to deep purple, and confronting him all over the tank for a couple days. Check out this action shot of the Blenny "yelling" at the Hawkfish. They even got into it a few times, notice the Tail-Spot's bitemarks 'cause the Arc-Eyed was havin' none of that and can certainly fight back...

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202757.jpg

They leave each other alone now ;)

Just wanted to update. My little guy is still happy and healthy. I've had him now for 2 years 3 months. I recently added a pearly jawfish to the tank. The jawfish made his burrow directly under the blenny's hole and the blenny would watch him very curiously. I guess his curiosity got the best of him and now he thinks he's a jawfish :lol: They now happily share the burrow.

My tailspot blenny does exactly the same thing. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I wonder why they didn't like each other. My tailspot only interacts with the cleaner goby by allowing the goby to clean it.

I was thinking it had something to do with colorful eye markings they both have, maybe just some early confusion, but I don't know, he's never reacted like that to anyone else in the tank...

Here are some pics of my TSB. He has been in my tank for 3 months and he is doing great so far. I feed him 3 times a week mysis shrimp and formula one pellets. He also eats whatever algae he finds on the rocks.

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3094-1.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had to join this site just to post here lol.

My boyfriend and I just joined the marine hobby (we've done freshwater for a while) so we've set up a 29gal tank and our first fish was a Tailspot Blenny. They're quite the character :)

We've had him a little bit over a week, and he did a lot of hiding at first (unlike all the swimming at the LFS, which as pointed out earlier in this thread is because they have basically nowhere to hide there). So he's named Waldo now haha. We just recently added a Blue Spotted Jawfish and actually the TSB became much more active.

It's as if having another fish (all we had before was various invertebrates) made him less nervous. He's actually become rather attached to the Jawfish (so now we call the Jawfish 'The Fonz' because he's the cool guy of the tank), sitting in the burrow or near it, sometimes much to the Jawfish's chagrin. So far the Jawfish tolerates the Blenny, unless he gets in the way of the Jawfish's digging or eating in which case a few nips will finally coax the Blenny to leave.

Just the other day we picked up a Firefish, and actually the Tailspot Blenny went after him! We were shocked because they're such a peaceful fish, but after just a little bit of chasing everyone settled down and there's been no issues since. In fact that same night the Blenny AND the Firefish were in the burrow with the Jawfish.

As far as feeding, the Tailspot Blenny has eaten everything we put in, especially being fond of the Cylopes. He also often perches right in the full blast of the powerhead, nipping at particles in the water as they zip by. I haven't seen him grazing too much, mainly just here and there picking at the rocks (which have plenty of algae) but based on what someone said earlier in this thread about how they actually need algae in their diet we just picked up some Seaweed Select. We rubberbanded it to the rocks but I haven't seen him eating it yet, hopefully he gets to it before the snails do. It seems the 4 month curse or otherwise short lifespan of these guys is due to improper diet, even if they do eat ravenously, so I'm hoping we'll find a good combo =/ we do have some Spectrum which this thread also seems to recommend so maybe we'll toss that in as well. Before long I'll just have to get a mini fridge for all the diets these fish need!

• 2 months later...

this thread has turned me :D i will be getting a TSB for my tank soon. its just finishing its cycle. luckily a LFS here always has them in stock. hopefully two weeks from now i'll have one in my tank :D

• 7 months later...

Just added a Tailspot to my tank yesterday. I have a six line and a chalk bass so I was worried he might get bullied a little with them both being semi-aggressive, but without fear the Tailspot is now pretty much the dominant fish in the tank after only one day, plus he's also even slightly smaller than the other two :P the only one that stood up to him was a Randall's goby who is paired with a candy cane pistol Shrimp. But none the less, a very pretty fish and extremely interesting to watch!

Cool video, thanks. My Tail-Spot is hilarious, such a personality.

When I introduced an Arc-Eyed Hawkfish a couple months ago he went nuts for a while, turning all pale, back to deep purple, and confronting him all over the tank for a couple days. Check out this action shot of the Blenny "yelling" at the Hawkfish. They even got into it a few times, notice the Tail-Spot's bitemarks 'cause the Arc-Eyed was havin' none of that and can certainly fight back...

Arc-Eyed%20Hawkfish%202757.jpg

They leave each other alone now ;)

Awesome picture and awesome fish. enough said :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Kailua-Kona

Picking up my first TSB today. From what I've read on this thread it may be hard to keep a Tail Spot for more than half a year. Anyone out there who has successfully kept a TSB for more than a year?

Seems like they eat most anything, but a lot of you have talked about F2 flakes. I hope I'm able to keep this fish for a good long time.

Mr. Microscope

Reviving this old thread: do tailspot blennies eat algae or cyanobacteria?

They pick at the rocks a little, but I doubt they eat cyano. Here's a cute .gif of mine. I really miss it.

TailspotA.gif

MIne would eat pods off the glass, whatever he found on the rock, mysis which he learned to steal from acans after the 6 line taught him. I haven't heard that they were difficult at all. I heard the opposite. I rarely fed him in the Evolve as he was pickin' off pods left and right.

Kailua-Kona

I added the TSB to a quarantine tank which had a live rock from my sump in it. That rock had all sorts of hair algae on it and the Blenny has been going to town.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
ittybittypilot

Seems this thread makes repeated revivals. So I'm jumping it! I added a TSB 2 days ago. He's still showing stress spots, hiding, breathing a bit harder than I'm comfortable with, and I've not seen him eat (I've been gone alot, so it's quite possible he's eating when I'm not home).

As others have mentioned, he was a very active swimmer at the LFS but there were no rocks in his tank...so go figure. I had done some reading before I purchased him and did come to the conclusion that these guys are indeed true omnivores but do require a diet heavy in algae. Thankfully I already have a plethora of fishy feasts in my arsenal so I've just been offering everything and hoping he's eating when I'm not around.

Seems these guys feed more at night? Or has anyone noted a pattern to their feeding preferences?

I'm pretty excited about this little buddy. He's the only fish in my softie tank (just Acans, a xenia, and CUC buddies).

I rarely fed, once a week a couple pellets as mine was feeding off the glass, off the rocks, picking all the time. Very self sufficient.

I miss mine. I moved him from my Evolve8 to my 34 and he was there before my 2 black clowns but they happened to hover in the corner where his home was facing, so he was afraid and rarely came out. I guess he eventually starved, I could never tell because his body was in the rock and all you could see was his head popped out. But I'm revamping my Evolve8 and will get another. Anyone know how you can tell if they're male or female? I called mine Slim, for obvious reasons, finding any small crevice and able to back up into it like a dumptruck in reverse, hearing the back up beeps.

And here was mine w/ my other favorite, my 6-line who also happened to jump out when I put him in my 34. I'm getting these guys back. I called him Slide.

044_zps98f872b4.jpg

ittybittypilot

I'm with you, I rarely feed. My FW planted tank is pretty self-sufficient and and hoping my nano-reef will be that way as well. I buy my livestock based on needs of the tank, not needs of my own eye. I wanted a pretty fish who was fairly hardy, would do well in a nano, and was part of the CUC. Blenny fit the part. Too bad the TSB's are a bit higher-maintenance, but I'm ok with that and I will just offer him a variety. I target fed my Acans today, now my 2 hermies are going nutz! There are some bits o' mysis floating around, maybe Lenny The Blenny will nibble on that. :-)

ittybittypilot

Lenny is eating! He doesn't know I'm watching, I had just swished around a blob of Rod's Food and he eye-balled a few little "chunks" and then went for it! YAY!

• Like 1

The only thing you have to be very careful of is this. When you turn off the circ pump, they have an automatic magnetism to hide in them. Always make sure they're out before you turn it back on. I like the look they give you when they're hiding behind some coral, like, I can see you but you can't see me. Like they think they're being that evasive, like they're some spy.