Coral Vue Hydros

[STOCK] ZooGirl

ZooGirl

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! :)

So last night I'm staring at the tank and I notice these tiny creatures. They have a clear tail like a pod but there body is reddish. They were running on the bottom then would start swimming. They were about 3mm long and looked just like little shrimp. They weren't pods. I don't have any shrimp in this tank yet, but maybe they were on the coral or rocks or something. I wish I could have taken a pic of them but they were really fast. I guess I'll have to fly Ann over here to take some pics for me! ;)

I've also seen some tiny metallic green pods, very cute! :D

Oh no, they weren't flatworms. They were more pod like, but really really looked like tiny shrimp. Plus they were swimming through the water like shrimp do. Clear tails and red bodies...weird.

Now that's more like them. Weird, where would I get live mysis from? I have never seen live ones before. I feed dead ones to the corals. I guess they came in on a coral maybe. Thanks Josh, such a good detective!! :lol:

LOL...your welcome....prob came on some LR or something....they might have came as eggs or something, who knows...but its really cool that you got some...i want some...lol...i would put them in my Pico.....wait till tehy grow up...and multiply....free food for your other fish/tanks/coral ...if you have other tanks/fish. ...anyway thats so cool

So lookee what else Dennis sent me:

tunicate1.jpg

Looks like a tunicate to me. I just noticed it today. I was rearranging some frags and this guy deflated as I stuck my tweezers in the tank. I had seen this brown blob on the little zoanthid frag earlier but I thought it was just a crusty bit of algae or something. Who knew it was alive!! :P

I also wanted to share a close up of one of the new little acan frags. This one has turned out to be quite pretty! :)

colormorph.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, it is for me too pomby. My LFS only has huge frags! I buy most of my corals online, which hurts because of the shipping but I always try to buy more than one frag at a time to help.

seriously, zoogirl, you are an inspiration! I love your tank, your photos, everything! haha..... I hope that i can get some frags like that for my tank sooner or later (only problem is money.... college and this hobby dont agree with each other very well ;) ) Keep up the good work, you have my vote so far!

tanner g.

Thanks a lot Tanner, that's really nice of you! I appreciate it!! :)

Here's a couple more acan shots.

Acan Echinata:

HappyEchinata.jpg

And some hungry Acan Lords:

HungryAcans.jpg

Haha. Noooo, the one Tigah has is a different green and stripey! :P

I'm sure when he does frag his he'll have more than one. :D

Very cool looking squirt! B)

More wonderful coral shots, those Acanthastrea are really beautiful. How long does it take for daughter polyps to grow?

Best regards

Ann

Thanks Ann! :)

That's a great question and honestly I'm not sure. I've noticed some grow faster than others and I don't know what the factors are since they are in the same tank. I've had the gray frag for probably 3 months now and when I got it was just one polyp and now it's two full ones. I have a little red one that I bought at the same time, it was one small polyp and now has two tiny baby polyps with it. Both are spot fed which I think helps them grow faster.

I would really like to know factors of growth also. everything in my tank is growing like crazy. I now have 1 baby Zoo for every 2 that I once had, Zenia of course has doubled, I have about 3 times as many cloves, a baby Ric. What I do is add B-ionic to the tank daily, add some DTS every 3 or 4 days, frozen Mysis for the fish once daily, and add a small amount of water for top off. I've only done 1 water change and I only changed 8oz.

Tony, I've noticed much more growth with my LPS than the Zoanthids. All of the LPS seems very happy and healthy. There are two babies growing off of the Dendro and my red Blasto also has two babies. The green Blasto was a bit stressed and damaged when I put it in the pico but has now recovered quite nicely.

Most of my Zoanthids are open and healthy looking but with not too much growth with the exception of the biggest colony which just keeps getting bigger.

The only real tragedy in this tank has been the red Zoanthids. They were so perfect and cute but have partially died. I don't know why when the others have been OK. I seem to have better luck with LPS than softies in general. I am the ultimate mushroom killer. I know they are suppose to be "easy" but they die on me. I love LPS and they love me!! :lol:

I don't dose anything, maybe I should. I feed a tiny bit of Cyclopeeze or Prime Reef flakes everyday. All of the LPS get spot fed with tweezers twice a week with either frozen Mysis or frozen Prime Reef. Once a week the tank gets a couple drops of DT's Phytoplankton.

I manually top off everyday (been too lazy to make an auto) and usually the day after I spot feed I change a bit of water. I also then change the filterfloss at the same time. I feel that I need to change the water so often because of the heavy feedings for the LPS. I don't know, maybe I should keep the water a bit dirtier but so far seems to be working. :)

It would seam that everyone on this forum has there own recipe for success. Your tank looks great so why do anything different. I too have some orange and green Zoo that look like there dying in my 20 gallon tank at home and so far I'm stumped as to why that would be happening.

Here's a couple Zoanthid pics from today.

UltraPinkZs.jpg

LimePinkZs.jpg

Comparing the first image with this one take on 12-7-05 you can see it's showing some growth. Yay! :lol:

UltraPinks.jpg

Archived