Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[CUSTOM] crazywolf

crazywolf

Thanks Travis!

Definitely an awesome movie! Casabubu

I will add more of my plans once they get going. I decided to use a stock tank even though I'm entering the custom category. I don't use photoshop or such so the only pics will be of the real thing. I have the tank cycling now with it's LR and LS. I will seed it with some LR from my 6g tonight. I doubt I have a chance against the seriously stiff competition but I'm going to try. I don't really have a tank to pull super nice stuff from nor am I willing to break my 100$ budget for the comp. I have been wanting a pico for awhile and this was a good excuse. :D

Good luck everyone I look forward to seeing everyone's tank!

Thanks everyone! It's going well I'm about ready to start testing to make sure the cycle is over. I seeded the tank with a bit of LR from my 6g. I'm already seeing pods and such. This weekend the stand/hood comes together hopefully. I have pretty much all the livestock for the tank already. I have one more bit I'm looking for then it will be about letting it grow and fill out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's not done but I figured I would share the hood and base I made. It's my first go at this but I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. First a few pics to show how everything is setup. This is not final I plan on moving the heater into the HOB so it's not visable.

no_hood_1.JPG

no_hood_2.JPG

no_hood_3.JPG

I created a 3 sided viewing area. I plan to setup the rock work to take advantage of all sides. I'm still not sure about how the final aquascaping will look.

hood_left.JPG

hood_front.JPG

hood_right.JPG

I'm starting with 36w's of PC initially but as you can see I've already installed another socket to upgrade to 54w.

lighting_1.jpg

lighting_2.JPG

ballast_1.JPG

This is how the hood comes off for working in the tank. I plan on adding a nice clasp on the back to hold it in place.

hood_off.JPG

Well thats it for now. I plan on sanding and painting this weekend hopefully. I also need to install at least 1 Fan as it runs too hot with the lights. Currently the heat cannot escape.

Nice design! Are you going to setup some sort of splash guard or take your chances? fingerscrossed

Thanks! I'm quite proud of it. :D

Probably take my chances. The water is 3-4" away from the lights. I have not decided though. I still need to do a reflector or at least paint the inside of the hood white. I have the glass top that came with the tank. I might try and cut it to fit the HOB and leave it at that. I've never cut glass before though. Maybe I'll hit HD and get some acrylic. Crap now you have me worried :huh:

Sorry to make you worried omgomgomg

What I was originally thinking for you was to get some cheap plastic wrapping from Home Depot and cover the electrical components. Maybe some sort of wireloom or silicon for the electrical components. It's very easy to splash working in such a small tank as I'm sure you've noticed.

Glass is easy to cut, I'm not sure how sealed your hood is over the tank but with that kind of light over it (36, possibly 54) you'll experience a lot of evap. I cut a glass top for my Stock entry and it's helped a ton with the evap even with the cut I made for the HOB (AC150) I'm running the sattelite 18w (group buy) and was loosing about 30oz of water a day. With the top I replace maybe 10oz twice a week.

You've done such a nice job creating the stand and hood, you should finish it off the right way.

What did you use to cut the glass? A dremel or? I think I will do that. I set it on last night just to block any splashing. Also to prop the hood up a bit and let some heat out. Definitely agree on the evap it's crazy how much this thing had not even running the hood.

• 1 month later...

Archived