Cultivated Reef

What was the first coral you got for your nano reef?

Christopher Marks

Your First Coral  

684 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first coral you got for your nano reef?

• Mushrooms
    • Star Polyps
    • Gorgonia
    • Zoanthids
    • Leather/Colt
    • Xenia
    • Candy Coral
    • Other

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Grey and red Acanthastrea Lordhowensis' I found a 5 polyp frag at a LFS for $50. That was the first coral I purchased anyway. I picked up a 3 different Montipora Digitata's(green, purple, and orange),at a local frag swap swap about 2 months before the tank was set up, they currently still being coral-sat in a freinds tank. I should be moving the corals into my tank in the next few weeks.

neanderthalman

I put in mushrooms, as I bought the particular frag for an awesome green hairy mushroom (sold as ricordea...). The rock also had GSP and purple zoos on it.

Edit. Looked just like the one below my post....:D

My first was several multi colored shrooms, an awesome mat of GSP, some orange zoos and a green finger leather frag. Oh and two kinds of xenia

• 2 weeks later...
aquadrone100377
That sucks that you cant pick more than one coral cause i got a 2feet by 2feet styro. box full of corals for free for my first coral,and i got GSP,clove polyps,10 kinds of shrooms,candy cane coral,ricordeas and lots lots more.

holy crap! where did you get all that for free? :o

• 4 weeks later...

I bought two items a ricordia encrusted rock with some zoo's tagging along(orange bullseyes w/green skirt) and a zoo colony(brown w/ green skirts). I voted for the zoo's as they were what I said "sold" to first.

Bill :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Solarflare8806
plus a gonipora...cause they're really hardy!

just kidding...

a mushroom...it was so pretty...

No one should ever buy a gonipora coral because they are the exact opposite of hardy. We still have no clue how to keep them alive for more than a few months. Any beginners out there heed my warning, DO NOT BUY ANY KIND OF GONIPORA OR FLOWERPOT CORAL. You will only kill it and waste your money. This is not an insult it is just a precaution. Anybody who says they have successfully raised one for more than a year is probaly lying. Nice joke P.O.T.U.S. :)

• 1 month later...

My first coral was a Tongue Coral that I thoroughly enjoyed...It lived for 3 months, all the while accepting the supplements and brine shrimp to help fight the bleaching. the bleaching had a beachhead on the very tip of the coral and that line would shift constantly back and forth and the coral fought it off....it finally succumbed after almost 3 months...a true warrior of the coral world...i miss it alot...RIP

montevallofalcon11

Brown Button Polyps, started at about 5 polyps, already up to over a dozen.

Free from a guy at work!

bucknellreefer

I bought my first coral today! I bought the smallest frag of zoanthids i could find lurking at the bottom of the tank, hopefully they will do well....*fingers crossed*

last time i checked, jordan, anemones don't fall under the 'coral' category (or do they?). :P

- my first coral was a frag or orange zoanthids-- they finally were wiped out about 7 months ago. i couldn't stand the darn things after i started buying nicer zoa morphs. lol.

Archived