SaltCritters.com

Overflow Diagrams

Tigahboy

well, the vortext forms because of the siphon effect from the column of water in the pipe, then when the level gets low enought it makes a toilet like noise because the column of water falling pulls in air along with the water.

neanderthalman

That's correct.

The hole in the top of the durso somehow reduces the flow rate. The reduced flow rate means that less or no air is sucked into the intake - no noise.

Holy Crap! Great Thread Tigah!

I really like that you explained some of the noise issues. It would be awesome if you extended your discussion into how to make it quiet at the other end from your experience.

I don't think the water at the bottom becomes stagnant due to the flow created by the water tumbling over the wall of the box.

I ended up making a Stockman for my 33 as I only had 3x5" to play with. I thought I was being really clever at the hardware store, but its exactly like in Tigah's diagram. I made another clever decision by not gluing the standpipe in during testing, but that was a disaster, as the entire overflow box emptied into the sump once power was cut. BUt hey, that's what testing in the garage is for. Pipe is glued in and I'm rearing to go.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

tigah you rock, Now please help me , I have a 1" bulkhead I built a small overflow box that attaches to the bulkhead,Then it an exact copy of your external Durso design below the T there is 1" PVC straight down then 45's to side of sump and then 45's again to go back straight down to sump,In my sump I have a 4'' pvc pipe glued to the bottom of sump were pipe dumps, My problem is its sipioning and splashing in my 4'' pipe, I stuck some old tubing down the top of durso cap but the pipe will shake and the splash any suggestions. Thanks

try making the hole in the endcap (top of the external durso) a little larger (no need for the tubing). that might help reduce the siphoning/rush of water.

you mean gluing the standpipe to the bulkhead? weird, I've never glued any of the parts for a inside tank stockman or durso standpipe. no problems.

Exactly. The bulkhead fit very loosely, more than any of the other PVC joints, and just wouldn't seal. I had hoped to not make it permenant so I could try different standpipe options if I ever needed to.

Chris

maybe the bulkhead was defective. I've never had to glue any of the standpipes to the bulkhead.

maybe you could've glued a coupling to the bulkhead and then leave the standpipe end of the coupling unglued so u could switch out standpipes.

Edited by Tigahboy

Tigah, is your 15s noisy? On that tank you have an external durso correct? I was thinking of doing that on my 20L but it will be in my bedroom and I want to be able to sleep at night.

I think no matter what, there will be some noise (i.e. sound of flowing water).

My 15g is in my bedroom as well. like 2-3 feet away from my bed. but I'm a deep sleeper so I guess it doesn't bother me as much. If you are a light sleeper, maybe it might not be the best for a bedroom set-up.

I think 4" should be fine. but it depends what size stockman u plan on utilizing. and u might have to use a dremel/saw and cut the coupling a little to shorten it...but that won't really affect it's efficiency.

is this an external overflow box like reefnale's or is this a HOB type overflow?

Edited by Tigahboy

It will be an external like reefnale's, but for an 11" cube. I think the overflow box dimensions will be 4" long, by 4" tall, by 3" wide. I only expect at maximum, 300 GPH for the return pump.