inTank Media Baskets

How Did You Discover Nano Reef Keeping?

Christopher Marks

when we bought our house and had to start paying our own electricity i sold my 100g and downsized to a 30g.. then when we were laid off from work at the same time I downsized to a 5.5g.. i was forced into it. but now we have a 55g and and a 33g :) and a 1g fresh

Have had an obsession with puffers for as long as I can remember, so I decided to take a plunge into FW with a GSP tank....after 3 years of my puffers I sold them to try a nano-reef after getting an idea from the dentists' office.

Yeah I did puffers for a really long time. Then I just came across a thread on how-to make a Nano Reef! After asking my neighbor for some glass, I made my first tank. Sheesh that tank was a failure :D

Yeah I did puffers for a really long time. Then I just came across a thread on how-to make a Nano Reef! After asking my neighbor for some glass, I made my first tank. Sheesh that tank was a failure :D

:lol:

adragonlover5
How did you discover nano reef keeping, and how did you get started? Was it Nano-Reef.com, a friend, or a local fish store? What was hard about getting started? What would you have done differently?

Recently discovered it in a book at the PetSmart I work(ed) at: The Nano-Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell. Piqued my interest, so I bought the book and now have many other books on saltwater tanks. I've always loved aquariums and animals in general, but considering I'm a poor college kid in a tiny dorm, I think it'll be a while before I can get a real tank (I have a little betta right now, that's all I can indulge in). Anyway, continuing my research, hopefully this forum will help =)

Obviously I haven't gotten started yet. I'm currently profiling as many marine fish as I can with information from as many reliable sources as I can gather. Hopefully that and compiling lists of highly rated equipment, supplements, foods, etc. will help me avoid major mistakes when I do begin. Again, hopefully this forum can help when I get to that point!

• 3 weeks later...
godfathernikki

About 15 years ago I decided I wanted a saltwater tank but didnt have the funds to set one up. What I DID have though was 10 gal freshwater tank with a single goldfish and plastic castle in it. I went seeking advice from everyone I could find, and everyone said NONONO! 30 GAL MINIMUM. Being 12 years old at the time, I converted it anyway.

And as a 12 yr old with no money to fund my project, I also failed horribly.

I was going for a fish only with dead coral; live rock and sand was something I had never heard of nor was suggested to me at that time. I ended up with some crushed coral, activated carbon, and a single tiny piece of bleached coral that i could actually afford, and a couple damsels. The fish were dead and the tank was slimey in less than month.

Fast forward 15 years, to an older, wiser, richer self purchasing live rock a the LFS for round 2 in a 12 gal Eclipse tank (I continued to keep small freshwater tanks during this time). Upon telling the employee what I was going to attempt, he exlcaimed "Oh cool! So your setting up a Nano?" Much to my surprise, what considered a huge mistake 15 years ago, is now quite popular.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post....been lurking and reading a lot. I just purchased a 28g Nano cube. I still haven't even got it, but reading and plotting away. I've always been fascinated with ocean life. Back in the late 70's I tried having a salt water aquarium. I only had a 30 gallon tank (it was all I could afford). I tried and tried, but failed miserably. Long time ago, but that failure just irks me still.

On the side of my wall on facebook has been this add for this cool jellyfish thing. I clicked on it out of curiosity. I thought it was neat, but overpriced. But I read about it and was surprised at how much things have advanced in the salt water arena since my failed efforts way back when. I still had no intention of giving it a go again....no room for a huge fish tank. But I was interested and each web page led to another web page and another and I started reading about the nano cube and this other one I forget the name of. It is small enough for my space and has all kinds of things that weren't available to me in my previous attempt. I became obsessed with researching and reading and decided I would give it another attempt. I remember bits about my previous failure and from what I've read now, my main problem was inappropriate fish for the size of the tank and not waiting long enough for the tank to cycle. Who knew? This time I plan on taking my sweet time about it and reading buckets about anything before I put it in the tank. I also didn't have a quarantine tank last time, and that was another unwitting mistake.

So, here's hoping I can turn a previous failure into success. I think I'll be coming to this forum a lot.

I had freshwater tanks growing up, but always thought that keeping saltwater was too hard/expensive... 15 years later, I started a 10 gallon freshwater tank which turned into a 25g Cichlid tank with plants... When I had the 10g tank sitting dry, I researched to see what I could find about nano tanks and I found NR... Now I've since upgraded to a 20gH and I realize more and more everyday how the time consuming aspect isn't really a reality if you stay on top of everything...

I seriously ask myself this a lot and can't come to a conclusion! Usually I get inspired from somebody in the hobby. This time I think I might have stumbled upon a youtube video. My step brother has a 55gal but I know I never really took interest in his tank at all nor do I see his tank. Youtube sparked my idea I am pretty sure and I guess I just googled stuff and ended up here... It's all a blur and for some reason I got into this hobby! My mom told me when i told her about this that i had a FW tank in my room when I was very little and I don't remember it... So i have never had experience in tanks!

I wish this site had a way of showing how many hours (or weeks in my case) you have been logged on since creating your account! That would truly show me how I have no life! LOL

michelleshusband

When to local fish store one day and saw beautiful corals swaying in front of my eyes. I had to get more information. I searched the internet for hours stumbling across many forums and video instruction. I started with 2.5 gallon pico reef with 1 tiny damsel and 1 frogspawn. After 5 upgrades in less than a year, I am currently sitting on 40 gallon with 20 gallon sump.

This is a dangerous hobby. So addicting I am not sure if I'll be able to get out :)

Brad'snanocube

Googled Reef tanks and NR popped up then fell in love with saltwater fish!!! also i was going to get a FW for my first tank but loved the colors of SW so much more and took the plunge!!!!

Some friends gave my wife a 10 gallon tank, filter, and heater to start a live rock only tank. Well, yeah.... it's now a full on reef 10 gallon with me looking at 40Bs (or larger).

• 1 month later...
surgicalsense

Wanted to get back into the hobby but with FW, besides that is all I knew at the time and was confortable with. Looked on CL and came across my NC24, knew it was for SW tanks. Not sure which way I wanted to convert the tank. My cousin who worked at the LFS told me about his NC and two months later. I started up the tank :D

• 6 years later...