Coral Vue Hydros

First Try 20g Nano

Pakrat

Quick question.

I have a Poseidon PS1External Pump, I really love it because it's powerful and quiet. I do have one problem though, when I run it at full power it's super noisy because of the constant bubbling from the sump and the draining noise from the overflow.

I tried the durso I made and the stockman as well both make about the same amount of noise. I tried adjusting the amount of air that can go into it with both as well as changing the height around a bit (only a couple of inches possible), none of it helps when I run 450+ gph down a 1" drain. So I cut it about in half with the ball valve I have in line. It sounds 1/2 as loud but it's still audible in my room esp. when I sleep.

Is this bad for my pump?

Any suggestions about how I could reduce the sound?

Help please!

~Brandon

hi brandon, i don't have any suggestions on the sound but i got a question about how you plumbed your pump to your rubbermaid! i'm thinking of doing the same thing myself and your job looks pretty clean. :D oh and did i mention that the LR looks absolutely beautiful?? i wonder if there's a place where i can order something similar. or are you willing to go back to the breakers for a couple of hours and chip me off a good portion? :P

For the skimmer, go for an ASM or Euroreef (but ASM is better bang for the buck, IMO).

As for the overflow, try a Hoffer Gurgle Buster standpipe quietist thing around!... IF that still doesnt quiet it down, add a second drain (still use the HGB standpipes though... they rule!)

Nice tank so far, btw.

Jared

hi brandon, i don't have any suggestions on the sound but i got a question about how you plumbed your pump to your rubbermaid! i'm thinking of doing the same thing myself and your job looks pretty clean. :D

Babycakes,

I got a plastic container from Walmart cost me like $7. It was a cube about 12" x 12" x 12" to maximize volume to surface area, one of the cheap'o stackable ones. Mine says "Homz" on the cover. It has semi-clear faces on two sides, which is good so I can see the level of water in the sump. The drain goes into the rear left side and the intake for the return is on the front right. I plan to add a baffle when I get some time.

I kept the cover to provide support to the sump and to minimize salt creep. I made the holes in the cover with a 1.25" drywall hole cutter. The fans are powered by a DC converter from an old electronic gadget that has long since been lost. (9v 0.6A) It's enough to power my 3 fans :) The fans themselves were scavenged from an old computer and AT power supply.

Nothing special. One thing to note the walls of "Rubber Maid" sumps are quite thin; you have to brace a bulkhead against the sump wall with something. I used an old slipper (aka flip-flop) cut in half and smoothed out so it could seal properly. This provided some bracing to the hole and the bulkhead which would have leaked or eventually leaked. Just drill a hole in it the size of the bulkhead, twist it on and slop some silicon between the parts and your all set!

Slipper_MOD.jpg

There were tonz of sizes of containers; 10g was perfect for my setup. Only have a small problem with micro bubbles which should be fixed when I add a baffle or two.

All I used was a:

Drill

1.25" drywall hole cutter

Wire cutter/striper

Sandpaper

(2) Old case fans

Old CPU fan and heat sink

Old DC converter

Old slipper (flip-flop)

Silicon glue

oh and did i mention that the LR looks absolutely beautiful?? i wonder if there's a place where i can order something similar. or are you willing to go back to the breakers for a couple of hours and chip me off a good portion? :P

heheh It wouldn't get past the agricultural inspection guys. Not by a long shot. I would get fined probably a huge amount for trying to export this stuff and you wouldn't get it...

Probaly for the best. I can't argue with laws that prevent the commercial exploitation of my home. But thanks for the comment :) I'm hoping it will work out.

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about other types of live rock.

For the skimmer, go for an ASM or Euroreef (but ASM is better bang for the buck, IMO).

As for the overflow, try a Hoffer Gurgle Buster standpipe quietist thing around!... IF that still doesnt quiet it down, add a second drain (still use the HGB standpipes though... they rule!)

Nice tank so far, btw.

Jared

jmorris,

Thanks much for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'll try make one of those HGBs and see how it works out, got to find a day I can head out to home depot again though. I did try using a larger diameter standpipe 1.5" and it is much, much quieter. I just added a reducing brushing to the bulkhead. Still have the sound of the water rushing down the pipes, but I don't nearly have that gurgling sound that I used to. I'll probably end up trying all that and adding another drain as well. It could still be a lot quieter but at least I can sleep now.

~Brandon

lol, i call them slippers too! you MUST be filipino. lol j/k. that mod is hilarious and awesome :P keep us updated :P

socalcreations

Ahh, just nice to see the tank up and running Brandon. Looking real nice! You are definately in the right place for a reef tank, being able to really "hand pick" rock is a nice perk! Can't wait to see it progress! Keep up the good work!

-Randy

Ahh, just nice to see the tank up and running Brandon. Looking real nice! You are definately in the right place for a reef tank, being able to really "hand pick" rock is a nice perk! Can't wait to see it progress! Keep up the good work!

-Randy

:) yep everything is cycling and happy so far.

Having a little problem with my light though... It doesn't work atm, but it should be working soon enough.

As for stocking my tank... Things in Hawaii are quite complicated. I'm not sure how it's going to end up, but barring any other errors on my part thing can still turn out ok, I'm just going to have to adapt my original "vision" of my tank to what is possible from what was not.

I've learned quite a bit since I first started. If you want you guys can look at the thread I have in Reef Frontiers where I had a discussion at length about what is, is not, and might be possible in this state. Suffice to say things have changed quite a bit over the past few of weeks.

Other then that I added a new stand pipe and drain to my sump from my overflow and WOW, it made a huge, HUGE difference! It's as quiet as my eclipse 3g that I used to use. No more bubbling, and no more water rushing sounds. I can finaly get a good nights sleep again!

Sump_11_11_05.jpg

Oh and babycakes, I'm not filipino but I know many :) I hope your tank design is going well too! Looks like yours is going to be a lot nicer then mine, heheh. You don't even have it but I'm already jealous.

~Brandon

Not exactly, because things arn't exactly clear. I don't want to copy and paste the whole thread again so I'll make a link HERE. I'll repost my last comment.

I'll post the Hawaii State DLNR link here as well.

Please read the links, before asking me any questions about Hawaii's laws regarding marine life. I'm not a lawyer and I read and understand these laws as best I can. Please make your own conclusions. I've said this once on the other thread and I'll say this ONE more time.

"I realize this and I DO know that it was improper the way in which I took the rock but, it and the associated by-laws are far from spacific and it does not account for several things. As for the rock, what's done is done and I figure the best thing I can do now is to respect what I have taken and return it after I am through.

"It is unlawful to take, break or damage, any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached. HAR 13-95-71"

Ok, taking coral is not allowed here and neither is

"The sale of all species of stony corals which are native to the Hawaiian Islands is prohibited. HAR 13-95-70"

(I never intended to buy any of this and it may also cover importation) But,

"The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS §171-58.5, §205A-44"

I take far under one gallon per day, and I would never sell or otherwise disrespect anything rock, live, or otherwise in my care.

There are also other creatures such as feather dusters that are affixed and somewhat stony, but are commonly available commercially and are exported from the state.

I also read on a web site of a University of Hawaii Professor that is also not permitted to obtain animals of any sort from the mainland (or internationally) without some or impossible difficulty (some permits take years), this is likely so because there is no guarantee that the imported animals even if found in Hawaii do not also harbor harmful ones as well. (so no premiumaquatics fish friends for me) Live and learn I suppose.

Regardless of how this is, there are only regional, size, or seasonal restrictions on fishes and inverts found in non-protected areas (there are few exceptions). If anything I'll stick to that. I know that the anemone Heteractis malu (Delicate, Sebae, or Sand Anemone) is found in our waters, it is not protected, endangered, or restricted.

I suppose in the end my outlook on my aquarium will just have to evolve into what is permitted in my state. I have no problem with that what so ever. I take this as a challenge to learn and expand my horizons, that is what life is about after all, and this is the final word I have to say on this matter."

Anyhow this Maeda? Link

You just gotta read dude, it's a yes and a no. I have the information that I've found in this post in the form of links. Only option that is unquestionably legal is through a University.

Link

If you live in the islands (which apparently you don't, but who the heck knows for real anyhow) there is a set of rules that are in place, there are rules for people whom do not, and rules that apply to both parties. I leave it up to everyone to make their own conclusions. I will do what I feel is right.

~Brandon

Yah this is Maeda. =D

My g/f's account is logged in and I keep forgetting to log out. -_-

From what i'm reading it really sounds like you cannot get coral from the mainland, nor can you take anything native... so FOWLR?

If you have any questions my dad knows somebody down there thats a friend of a friend. He always shoots her questions and almost always gets a big N-O.

The worst part is you guys have access to the waikiki aquarium water faucet!

Archived