ReefCleaners.org

Blenny Thread

Sebea

Virgil Ann Maderich

I just took the plunge and got an orange spotted blenny. I loved him from the start; he has personality to spare, but I was cleaning my tank the other day and he bit me...twice! Now obviously I survived the attack but my concern is that he'll become aggressive with my rainford goby (who to this point has actually threatened the blenny a little) or my seahorses who he has nipped in pursuit of the enhanced mysis.

The seahorses are my greatest concern though they don't seem bothered by him when there is no food in the tank.

I have a 21gal via aqua.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree that blennies are a great addition to a nano tank. They have personality, are interesting to watch and strike fascinating inquisitive poses. I have yet to see my tailspot eat anything, but, I keep stuff available:

-nori on a clip

-crumbled flake, Ocean Nutrition II

-Cyclopeeze

If anyone has been successful with other foods, I'd be interested to know. SH

my bicolor eats thera-a+ pellets by spectrum...

FYI guys scooters are not actually blennies. They are dragonets, and are more closely related to Mandarins than any blennies. If you take a good look at them you will see why.

/edit/

Steel: I have heard that someone else had to sherd nori to get a blennny to eat it.. maybe give that a shot

my bicolor eats thera-a+ pellets by spectrum...

FYI guys scooters are not actually blennies. They are dragonets, and are more closely related to Mandarins than any blennies. If you take a good look at them you will see why.

/edit/

Steel: I have heard that someone else had to sherd nori to get a blennny to eat it.. maybe give that a shot

I know that scooter are not blennies, thats why mine is called "puff - the magic dragonette" :D mine will swim (not scoot) to the top of the tank to take frozen brineshrimp, mysis and cyclops straight from the pipette :)

I just took the plunge and got an orange spotted blenny. I loved him from the start; he has personality to spare, but I was cleaning my tank the other day and he bit me...twice! Now obviously I survived the attack but my concern is that he'll become aggressive with my rainford goby (who to this point has actually threatened the blenny a little) or my seahorses who he has nipped in pursuit of the enhanced mysis.

The seahorses are my greatest concern though they don't seem bothered by him when there is no food in the tank.

I have a 21gal via aqua.

Sweet, finally someone else has gotten an orange spotted blenny besides me. I absolutely know you will love yours. Sometimes gobies and blennies do not get along very well because they have similar body shape. But I would keep a close eye on the two; I don't think you will have any problems. I can't wait to setup my 100g tank, so I can give my blenny more room. Good Luck with yours though!

Jason

scoot46fa.jpg

Not only pics, but vids too!

This vid was taken with digital cam, hence the quality. It is showing my little scooter blenny eagerly accepting frozen food. Also watch as he poos his pants when the pistol shrimp comes out of his hole :)

g6o7d114.jpg

^^ Clicky

We can forgive that.

Claude, it's good to see that your scooter is happy!

Virgil Ann Maderich

Two quick things to note. My orange spot loves Hikari frozen mysis. I have seahorses in the tank so I feed mysis enhanced with vibrance, zoe and garlic. The blenny can't get enough of it.

For those of you who don't have lids, the other night I walked over to the tank (lights were out) to add some ro water. The blenny saw me and freaked out. He went right for the top. I have a via aqua which doesn't have a lid so I made one last year. Thank goodness or he would have been on the floor. Before I made the top I lost the cutest scooter blenny. My lfs said they don't jump. Goes to show what they know!

well, i just got back from colorado, and i cant find my little tail spot!!! hes not in the little cave he was hiding in before i left, and i havet seen any other signs of him (no remains either). im hopin hes on the backside of the LR... i wanna find him but i dont wanna tear the darn tank apart. ive had a neighbor feed every other day while i was gone, so im gonna feed and maybe he will come out. i was feeding him emerald entree, and i saw him eat it. is this a good diet for him?

Should be. However....I finally found what works for me.....I started crumbling Ocean Nutrition Formula II into small pieces and then Swirling it into the tank...he's eating it now. Whew. POI. SH

yeah he is definately a goner..... i checked every piece of live rock, like actually took it out of the tank, and he is nowhere to be found. i dunno why he died, i dont think my 6line woulve actaully killed him. i didnt find any remains either, but my sand star and nassarius snails wouldve made sure there were none left!

This is my new blenny. Lenny the Midas Blenny. He's spent most of his time chillin in his hole, I couldn't have picked a better spot for him.

100_0977.jpg

I have anxiously been awaiting my chance to post on this thread. So far, I must say, Blennies are super cool. How does the behavior of some of the herbivorus blennies compare with the midas? anre they more active? will my guy perk up or are they generally lazy?

there is a lot of debate about scooter blennies, they look like dragonets and some people say they are closly related where as there are some who think they are blennies either way they rock :D

scooter blennies are by far the best hands down, my one named scoot by my father lives in my dads 83 gallon reef he is excellent full of character he may not be as colourful as the midas blenny but he still rocks :D he also has a really cool dorsal fin which he rarely shows lolpost-17802-1135968403_thumb.jpgpost-17802-1135968449_thumb.jpg see pics lol AWESOME i fink he is better than a mandarin :happy:

Family: Callionymidae (Dragonets)

Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

I know i am to you probably PITA but this is spreading wrong information...

Just like that one guy here on nano-reef who sort of like the name middle polyp stony...geez... MPS... one more thing for begginers to remeber and even a wrong one...

OK, I wont bother again... i am starting my own thread. :lol:

50908292907_0_ALB.jpg

41289292907_0_ALB.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures...I took them with my phone and now that I have my camera on hand, the little guy is hiding <_< Hopefully, once he adjusts to the tank, I'll be able to take some better pictures.

Anyway, he is a red sea mimic blenny. I ordered him from live aquaria. I love the half blue/half yellow :happy:

More Blenny Pics from Schwaz Reef:

100_0980.jpg

100_0978.jpg

Ive heard Blenny owners refer to puppy/dog like behavior out of these fishes. Lenny the Midas Blenny kinda strikes me as kind of puppy-esque. Anyone esle feel the same way about their blenny?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I introduce the newest resident to my Bookshelf Nano!

Lenny the Lawnmower Blenny!!!

**Guffaw** **applause** **Insane Clapping**

LennyTheBlennyAlgae2.jpg

Archived