Cultivated Reef

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

Yellow jacket ACAN

LOL thanks jedimasturbator I mean ben. I stepped in late and didn't have time to read up that was my fault im sorry.so where do you get small anemones that they will pick up?

jedimasterben

LOL I couldn't resist :)

You get them from, well, other pom pom crabs. They'll sometimes pick up other things, but at any rate, they'll be fine without them.

• Like 1

I got two pom pom crabs without anemones?

tumblr_m1mhciCCMJ1qao1rb.gif

lol...I'm not Ron Burgundy?

Good god, I want these little crabs. This is what prompted me to start a nano (these and sexies), but I haven't been able to find any. I also can't bring myself to spend overnight shipping on such inexpensive tank additions. I'll try to get one of the lfs to order me some. They had them before I went on vacation, but with my mom taking care of the tank, I was worried they wouldn't make it. Now they are out of stock again.

Yellow jacket ACAN

Thanks Ben I can appreciate that humor and being able to take a joke! Some people get butt hurt if you know what I mean. well I'm glad he will survive but I hope he picks up something at least! Lol I bought him for the reason.Shipping is a b*tch I just save money and put a large enough order so you don't pay shipping.for me I can get things from online that I couldn't normally find around local shops...BTW theyve done study's,you know. 60% of the time,it works everytime.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Good god, I want these little crabs.

Usually one wants to avoid those, ya know. ;)

This is what prompted me to start a nano (these and sexies), but I haven't been able to find any. I also can't bring myself to spend overnight shipping on such inexpensive tank additions. I'll try to get one of the lfs to order me some. They had them before I went on vacation, but with my mom taking care of the tank, I was worried they wouldn't make it. Now they are out of stock again.

I would prep a larger order and order them from Live Aquaria. They have several on Diver's Den right now.

Thanks Ben I can appreciate that humor and being able to take a joke! Some people get butt hurt if you know what I mean. well I'm glad he will survive but I hope he picks up something at least! Lol I bought him for the reason.Shipping is a b*tch I just save money and put a large enough order so you don't pay shipping.for me I can get things from online that I couldn't normally find around...BTW theyve done study's,you know. 60% of the time,it works everytime.

LOL :D

I think someone on this thread had one pick up a bristleworm, slice it in half, and then carry that around for a while... still alive. lol

• Like 1

Usually one wants to avoid those, ya know. ;)

I would prep a larger order and order them from Live Aquaria. They have several on Diver's Den right now.

Lol, yeah. usually one would...

I'm so broke it's ridiculous. Hah. I know 12 year olds that have more money and more stuff in their tanks than I do. I'll wait.

Yellow jacket ACAN

I gues some people have a problem with this crab I have three and they leave my corals alone and go about there business.but It's like the sexy shrimp some have a problem with them some don't.could get a laid back wife could get one crazy b*tch wife... in my case.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have a quick question. What does the pom pom crab do with the anemone when it gets to big?

I ask because the anemone is pretty large and I'm wondering if he will trim it and drop the rest if so I'd like to find it and try and help it to continue growing.

Thanks.

Why wouldn't they be reef safe or clam safe?

IDK, I don't really know anything about them.. most larger crab species are not clam safe, and many are not reef safe.. just a question :)

@CGNano -

I don't have a POM POM, but alway appreciate anyone doing care guides for the species. Having this knowledge (as long as it's accurate) and sharing it is very important to the community. Much appreciated.

jedimasterben

IDK, I don't really know anything about them.. most larger crab species are not clam safe, and many are not reef safe.. just a question :)

They're tiny scavengers, I think only copepods would be scared of them :lol:

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

i just found mine dead in my 3 gallon pico tank.

i am heartbroken. :( my water parameters were good

but phosphates were running high. i had just added media

to lower it last week, and now it is at right level. but

the crab had been in the tank about two weeks.

i don't think i'll be getting another any time soon. sad.

• 1 year later...

Mine is still doing well, 1.5 years in. Survived a brutal cross country move in a car and two mini-crashes. Still has his poms too!

IMG_0722.jpg

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Tonight I noticed something, well, steamy, going on with the pom pom crabs in my 4g tank...

24012864226_3bd2247bb2_b.jpgPom Pom Love by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tomorrow things are going to be all awkward and weird for them :lol:

Pom poms are fascinating creatures. I got the second one recently because the original one had somehow lost his poms. The new one had two poms. Now, only a couple weeks after getting the new one, they both have two poms. It's like crab magic :huh:

Love that this topic is here. I had a 6 gallon Fluval Edge sitting around so I decided to turn it into an invert tank. I added 3 rock flower anemones, a tiny bubble tip, 2 pom pom crabs and 2 sexy shrimp. The pom poms are an absolute delight. Hands down the cutest critters in the ocean.

Here's a YouTube video of him doing his cheer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0T50Yp-CEY

My first post by the way.

• Like 2

Hello all! Last week, I oredered a Pom Pom crab from a LFS, this particular place only ships, no walk-in or pick up. Anyhow, when I received my crab it did not have any of its poms. I realize that the crab doesn't HAVE to have its poms but I ordered this species specifically to see the symbiosis. Anyhow I sent pictures of the crab "sans pom" to the LFS owner and told him it had no poms and asked if I could exchange it for one that did have poms and his response was: "the crabs usually lose their poms before shipment. However, it will keep a tiny sliver of the anemone which will grow into a full one. This is a normal case, so please do not worry". Now...I'm very new to nano-reefing, but something about this explanation seems a little...fishy. I'm sure the LFS doesn't plan on taking the crab back simply for that reason, but if they aren't going to come with their poms, I don't know if I want to order anymore in the future. What do you all think of the explanation I was given? My Pom Pom crab really has nothing in its claws...unless it's some microscopic piece of anemone...Has the guy's fish-story turned me into a stool pidgeon?

I got one with no poms from liveaquaria.com and it never grew new ones. When I told them about it they gave me a full refund including shipping.

I got one with no poms from liveaquaria.com and it never grew new ones. When I told them about it they gave me a full refund including shipping.

Thanks teenyreef. I think I need to try liveaquaria. I want to support a place that takes care of their customers.

• Like 1

Are there any other LFS options in your area? I got my latest one at my LFS. They didn't normally carry them, but when I asked if they had them, they ordered some as part of an upcoming order. It was way cheaper that way, and I was able to verify that it was in good shape and had poms on it before I bought it.

Liveaquaria is great, but it's definitely the most expensive way I can think of to get a pom pom crab :)

• Like 1