Cultivated Reef

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

When a pom pom decides to use aiptasia as it's substitute nem does anyone know what happens when the aiptasia grows? Will the pom pom let it go, clip it or.......? Thanks everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

After looking for so long, I finally got a pom pom crab today!!

However, it has lost both of its anemones. The guy at the LFS said it had them when he got the crabs 2 weeks ago. I guess the nems died in those 2 weeks. He gave me a discount, so I got one. I'm hoping that I'll eventually find another one with nem and they would share.

Sorry, no pics yet. But looks like it is a female. 30 minutes after I put it in the tank, it caught a bristle worm, ate most of it, and is now currently holding a little piece of bristle worm in one claw. I guess as both defense and back-up food :)

I guess it's nice that I have no fish in the tank, so the crab didn't go into hiding at all. It just rested under a monti cap for a little bit, then came out, and promptly caught a bristle worm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My pompom crab...

I've named him Armand, but I'm not sure about his sex. He's got a pretty nice pair of nems though.

When I first got him, look how small his nems were!

th_1d927606.jpg

Armand now...

a528d592.jpg

efa97eff.jpg

Thanks for looking, would love to know his sex and what nems he's carrying. :)

L

I think it's post #426 in this thread that has great pics showing the sex difference.

Thanks, I saw just that. I've never checked under Armand's skirt before! LOLOL He may be male. I'll be watching his underside to see what he is.

L

Nestlée's getting a boyfriend!!! :)

At least, from the pic it looks like a boy. He's supposed to be really tiny. I collect Cancer on Sunday.

Any thoughts on whether they need to be introduced in a special way, or should I just plop him in after temp acclimation?

I've been wanting a couple of these guys for a while but never seem to see any in the lfs' I go to - I may have to ask one to order me some

I've been after my lfs for over a month, and it just hasn't been listed as available by the wholesalers they order from. But other stores may have other sources. LiveAquaria now has them in stock, that's where this guy is from.

would a pom pom pair be a good addition to a sump? I plan on having it doubled as a Frag holding station/rack as well.. :) just wondering here... or would i be better off with other critters

Yeah, when I say "my store", I mean the store where I work. :P It's quite the reputable one, been around for over 8 years. They share the same morals as I do as far as not selling ###### the customers don't need, and making sure that what they're buying will be able to survive in their setups. They're all about educating people and don't mind sitting and talking with someone forever without them buying anything, which is great. Heck, they've lasted this long. *knock on wood* :D

8yrs is not a long time. mine has been around since 1972

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved and I'm glad I have my tank to watch. No Internet except iPhone and no tv. After watching my Harley shrimp eat an asterina star I glanced over to see my pom pom crab just chilling. And to my surprise they are mating. I've had a female for about 3 years now and she has been laying eggs on the regular. So after months of searching I finally found a male. It seems like all I ever see in the stores are females. It's only been a week and they decided to get it on. Ha ha sorry for the crappy pic. My phone is all I got at the moment. But though it would be fun to share.

63ce5b27.jpg

Edited by neuwave

Awesome thread! I posted this elsewhere earlier before finding this here. What does everyone think of 1 pom-pom and 3 sexy shrimp in a 3 gal? Am I likely to have compatibility issues?

• 3 weeks later...

Sharing & Propagating Nems

Thought I'd share my experience.

Got a pompom a year ago; she lost the nems almost immediately and has been pompomless ever since. She sometimes carries substitute bits of stuff, but whatever it is soon dies.

Have been trying to find a male w. pompoms, hoping he would share w. her as others have reported on this thread. The lfs never has them, so finally I ordered from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den.

The new crab had 1 white & 1 brown nem, both very small. Then I goofed and destroyed them by tilting the bag this way & that trying to see his/her underside to determine sex. Turns out to be another female (darn!) and the bitty nems got shredded. Couldn't tell if she still held any remnants.

Anyway, Newbie crab got added to the tank and molted a couple of days later. Now instead of a male/female pair w. pompoms I had 2 females without. :angry:

Was gone for over a week during Xmas, and came back to find BOTH crabs carrying what look like white nems in each claw. If indeed they are nems, then the crabs have both shared and propagated them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll grow out.

Pretty cool. :)

Edited by PinkDamsel
altolamprologus
Sharing & Propagating Nems

Thought I'd share my experience.

Got a pompom a year ago; she lost the nems almost immediately and has been pompomless ever since. She sometimes carries substitute bits of stuff, but whatever it is soon dies.

Have been trying to find a male w. pompoms, hoping he would share w. her as others have reported on this thread. The lfs never has them, so finally I ordered from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den.

The new crab had 1 white & 1 brown nem, both very small. Then I goofed and destroyed them by tilting the bag this way & that trying to see his/her underside to determine sex. Turns out to be another female (darn!) and the bitty nems got shredded. Couldn't tell if she still held any remnants.

Anyway, Newbie crab got added to the tank and molted a couple of days later. Now instead of a male/female pair w. pompoms I had 2 females without. :angry:

Was gone for over a week during Xmas, and came back to find BOTH crabs carrying what look like white nems in each claw. If indeed they are nems, then the crabs have both shared and propagated them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll grow out.

Pretty cool. :)

That is cool :) My male pom pom lost a nem (and 3 legs...) a few weeks ago and still hasn't propagated his other one. The female hasn't shared with him either :(

Sorry is this has already been said, but has anyone on here raised baby pom pom crabs? I have a pair and I see the female carrying eggs quite often but I've never caught the hatch.

My male pom pom lost a nem (and 3 legs...) a few weeks ago and still hasn't propagated his other one. The female hasn't shared with him either :(

I've had the newbie for a month. She is only half the size of Nestlée, and I worried she would get beat up, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I also wondered if Nestlée stole the pompoms, but the little one is also carrying. Us girls are SO cooperative, lol. :lol:

I would think your male can propagate his nem when he's ready. I'm jealous you have a male/female pair - I'm singing "Pom Pom Luv" to the tune of "Puppy Love".

altolamprologus
I've had the newbie for a month. She is only half the size of Nestlée, and I worried she would get beat up, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I also wondered if Nestlée stole the pompoms, but the little one is also carrying. Us girls are SO cooperative, lol. :lol:

I would think your male can propagate his nem when he's ready. I'm jealous you have a male/female pair - I'm singing "Pom Pom Luv" to the tune of "Puppy Love".

Interesting story behind how I got them too. The LFS owner saw them at the wholesaler when they had just arrived from whatever ocean they came from and brought them to the store before they were even acclimated and unbagged at the wholesaler. Then I saw them acclimating at the LFS and took them home. From the ocean to my tank in one day lol. On top of that, they were bagged together so they were probably hanging out near each other in the ocean AND the female was carrying eggs.

I should arrange for Armand to come over for stud service. He's got great, big nems. You measure a male crab by the size of his nems...

:lol: pimping my pompom crab. I'm a terrible mommy!

L

I should arrange for Armand to come over for stud service. He's got great, big nems. You measure a male crab by the size of his nems...

Ha-ha! There's 2 sexy ladies here just waiting to be ravished. Read somewhere that the female molts just before mating; he doesn't, putting a new spin on being hard. Seems the PomPom likes his ladies soft & squishy ..... Hmmmm, I would do well in PP society, maybe should reincarnate as a crab?

• 3 weeks later...
Quick comparability question guys can a Pom Pom and a porcelain anemone crab get along in a reef together??

I have the combo in my 4g pico. Added the pompom first then the porcelains.

i've had my pom pom for about a year and it drops and finds its nems all the time. probably done it 3-4 times in the last year. It never found its second one though.. currently isnt carrying anything.

MGalleryItem.jpg

this was an older picture

Edited by TinyGiant
Quick comparability question guys can a Pom Pom and a porcelain anemone crab get along in a reef together??

I have two pom poms, 2 porcelain anemone crabs and a purple porcelain crab in my 40g

my porcelain crabs both dissapeared rather quickly.

the purple one i havent seen in months (which he might just be hiding)

the white one was in the RTBA for a while and then just disappeared ... never saw the body though. .so he might be somewhere else too..