Innovative Marine Aquariums

Replacement for Nano Cube ballast

Vnnie

BetterThanMcGiver

12 gallon Cube Masters Bio-cube ballast replacement

The EASY WAY i replaced mine. 2 ballasts & two 4 pin U shaped fluorescent lights 9 inches long. Before doing any electrical work ALWAYS REMEMBER TO UNPLUG FIRST WHEN WORKING.

1. turn nanocube on its side, then remove 8 plastic cover screws with top open of course. B)

2. remove several small screws holding aluminum plate and 4 screws holding actual fluorescent lamps connectors. then remove aluminum plate. :mellow:

3. label all wires leading to ballast and 6 plug in connectors with label tape 1-6. take photo of connections if you cannot remember which wires connect. you have to have this correct. the better you label the wires the easier your job! :o

4. work one ballast at a time. Cut two wires about 1.5" from ballast. Use a flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers or wire cutters to pry up the two rivets that hold it on the the aluminum plate and remove ballast. it's easy really! -_-

5. insert new ballast replacement. you can make 1 or 2 small drill holes next the existing to reattach new ballast. take (2) 1inch screws and nuts to re-mount ballast. Use small wire nuts to reattach the two cut wires. test carefully (replug everything) that ballast works fine. you are done. Repeat for other ballast, and put everything back together - plug in connectors, wire nuts connected, ballasts tested, aluminum plate screwed back on, you are done. :lol:

6. notes: label wires! also the ground wire that will un-attach from existing wire nuts. these nuts are crimped on. just take pliers and crimp wire nuts again so the wires just fall loose. don't forget the ground and one white wire how they are crimped together. mine connected to my #4 label.

HERE IS THE BALLAST REPLACEMENT: LC-14-20-C (under $10.00)

Advance Ballast for Fluorescent 14W,15W,19W,20W,22W 120V Input Voltage

Length: 3 1/16" Width/Diameter: 1 3/8" Height: 1 13/16" Approvals: UL,CSA Input Watts: 20W

Mounting Inches: 2 3/4"

i used the 2 screws and nuts from a regular wall outlet to attach the ballast. perfect sizes! :P

i am not responsible for any damage or injury from my posting instructions. simply, these are my own personal steps i took to repair my defective ballasts. i recommend hiring a professional electrician to do the work, if you are not familiar with working with electric outlet devices. :)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

i want to thank the OP for this. Saved me a good deal of money.. i even added a switch on one of the power compacts so you can use both or one of them bulbs :)

Thanks!

Archived