• Created
  • Last Reply
shao-lin nano

embryoguy:

They were originally the 2x9W coralife fixture that can be found here:

http://www.hellolights.com/92x9wcomiaqc.html

Or you can go with this:

http://www.hellolights.com/913wretrofit.html

I've got the 13W version with 6,500K bulb for the fuge light I'm installing behind the tank.

The coralife fixture can be found on ebay for really cheap...I think I got mine by winning a bid a couple years back for like $10.

I just took appart the light kit and re-assembled it the way you see it.

shao-lin nano

Okay guys, I finally got the fuge light installed. It's a 13W 6500 light fixture from hellolights. I got an aluminum bar from home depot and bent it into an L and drilled necessary holes to mount the lights and secure it to the stand.

I cut a square only over the 2nd chamber using a utility knife.

fugelight.jpg

Get yourself a small scraper with a long enough handle to reach the bottom of the chamber. My rear mounted light has been running 24/7 for the last two months and the algae growth on all four walls of the second chamber is extreme. Knowing your attention to detail I'm sure its on a timer tunning a reverse cycle to your hood lights. If not, its a suggestion that I'm setting up now.

shao-lin nano

Thanks trumph....I was actually thinking of a magnet scraper.

The lights are on a timer but not on a reverse photo period. It's on for about 12 hrs a day.

shao-lin nano

Hey Mike, here's a pic of the canister filter in the stand and the chiller next to it. Like I mentioned before, I tried to get the chiller under there too but was not able to, the power cord comes out from the side and protrudes too much.

open_stand.jpg

Here is a side by side shot of what it usually looks like and what I wish it looks like:

What it usually looks like :: What I want it to look like

full_shot.jpg

shao.

in the pic what you WANT it to look like, with the tub ? hehe should it only be in the pic, what it looks like now. and not other one? hehe jking

im sure by the time your done this project. ill look even better than what most of us dream of having our nanocubes look like

keep up good work,.

stoney waters
Originally posted by shao-lin nano

The tub is my insurance policy.

Ya, I've seen the movie.  What about it?

I think he is referring to the electrocution scene.

Did you happen to miss a flight that crashed?:*(

shao.

can you post the tele. of fry's , we dont have that store in the east coast. i want to get the exact one that you have.

thanks

shao-lin nano

What are you trying to find at fry's? The project box? If you want the 2X9W setup gutted and packaged the way I have it just let me know and I can do it and send it out to you or something.

Or if it's just the project box with the wiring I can pick it up and send it to you too. Let me know what you're trying to do.

Here's their number anyway: (714) 688-3000_

BTW, their customer service sucks IMO!

shao-lin nano

Did I miss a plane crash?...hahaha, I get it. It's quite a mess back there but it's just so hard to organize so many wires. But I assure you that it's all wired correctly and quite safe, just disorganized. Like I said in another post, it looks like I spilled a bowl of noodles back there.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Shao,

Thanks for taking the full shot of your super cube. I'm literally amazed at how careful you were to get the canister filter into you setup, that looks great.

A while back I wanted to purchase that exact chiller from aquamedics but never did as I waited for the ICA unit, for better concealment.

Since you are pushing about 22 gallons of water through that chiller how cold have you been able to maintain the system?

Are the lights that hot that you require to run that fan? Just curious to know, because I fought heat like crazy in my cube and the ICA was a very neat little device, assist but not cure the problem completely.

What does the cannister filter have in it? Are you running carbon, chemipure? Your tank should be crystal clear, and from the pics it looks clear. Did you free up chamber one from the sponges now that you have the cannister filter?

Like I said, your lighting rocks and your chiller connected to the cannister is very clever and innovative.

Keep up the good work...

Mike Guerrero

My head is spinning with all these mods. WTG Shao-lin.....I think you found your calling in life. Here's to the new Shao-lin-customs.com. SH

shao-lin nano

Thanks Mike and steelhealr.

I haven't had the need for the fan the past week or so but the temps here in So Cal was crazy couple of weeks ago.

My temps never go above 82 with all the lights on. The MH is on an 8hr period and the PCs slightly longer for dusk/dawn.

Filter has been in use for a month and I just took out the stock carbon that came with the filter and replaced it with chemipure. I've also got a sack of purigen and a sack of phosguard. The water is pretty clear but I have small amounts of crap floating around.

I did remove the stock sponge at first. But when I blocked the intake to keep the main display's water level constant and water would cascade down making splashing noises when there's evap. I cut the stock sponge so it's about an inch thick and put it behind the intake to stop the water from splashing.

The filter and chiller are seperate. I saw someone hooking up the exact same setup in a series. I should do the same to eliminate another pump.

I think I have just two more small mods and I'm completely done for now....but since when are we ever really done. One would be a moonlight, second would be a fan on front lid to eliminate the clip-on fan. A DIY skimmer would be nice too but I'm running out of real estate back there.

If anyone can suggest any more mods I haven't thought of I wouldn't mind trying them out.

Shao...the only prob with the mag-float type of cleaner is that all four of the walls get covered. You would have to keep taking the magnet cleaner out and relocating it. I bought "The Wizard" from PetSolutions and it works great for cleaning the chambers and corners.

For other mods....I've added one for placing a filter pad in back of the intake screen. (Pictures will end up in system set-ups since they are not in my computer yet) I sized mine to accept the Micron Filter Pads that are sold at Fosters & Smiths. Simply cut the pad to size and insert it whenever you stir up the tank or use the turkey baster. You can just leave one in for a couple of days, see how much dirt is circulating in your tank then throw it out. I might make a different one to accomodate a thicker pad such as the Poly Filter..sure beats putting any media into your chambers and it ensures complete water flow through whatever is installed. It also helps keep the back chambers form getting filled up with crap.

Instead of a fan in the hood, an idea I meant to inplement, my two 80mmfans mounted where the two top vents are cool my tank down TOO much. I don't even run the 2 40mm fans that I installed to replace the stock fans. I opened the slots in the top of the hood until they were practically the same size of the fans, then I drilled some holes in the splashguard to facilitate air movement up from the water through the hood. When I'm running the stock lighting without the 70w MH my temps will drop into the mid 70's even with my heater set at 80F. Think I could have padded out the posts to which splashgaurd attaches about a 1/4" and achieved the same cooling results.

My 2 cents and good luck with your TV show.......Pimp My Cube!!

shao-lin nano

You're right trumph...at first I though that I would just let the alge grow out from the sides as long as the glass is clear but I can see how quickly this could become a problem.

I too have 80mm fans on the side vents. I use them to cool the hood and not for evap cooling for the tank. I don't quite understand how you have yours.

stoney waters

shao

I am close to upgrading my lighting and still tossing around some ideas. Of course I have concerns about heat. I was wondering if you have had any warpage or deformation of the hood. Does your hood still sit properly on the trim? I have noticed that even with my small upgrade there was a slight warpage on the sides of the hood causing some spillage of light.

Stone

shao-lin nano

I haven't had any issues with the hood. I have lots of air going through it. Enough where the vent next to the MH feel like a blow drier set on low.

The splash guard portion that is underneath the MH has been replaced by a 8X10 inch of glass from Home Depot (under $2) secured by epoxy. The splash guard is in perfect condition. I've had to re-epoxy the glass to plastic probably from the heat and the fact that glass is pore-less.

My hood never sat the perfectly on the tank anyway.

So what kind of lighting are you thinking about?

Very nice setup. Saw a mention of algae potentially becoming a problem in the future. I got a black scutus and haven't had a hint of algae in my display tank since.

RN

shao-lin nano

Thanks audio, actually it's not that unique since I got the idea from others that have done it before me. But I tried to be as innovative as possible when planning the placement and use of various components under the hood.

The potential alge problem would be in the second chamber "fuge" and may be difficult to clean off the walls and glass. The alge in the main display is taken care of by hand and diligent water changes.

Archived