Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do you use reef keeping books as a source of information?

Christopher Marks

the internet is my only source of information.

mostly forums nano-reef.com / reefcentral.com

it would be easier to start out with books though.

it's hard to use books only, especially if you have questions, want to do anything out of the ordinary or want to be cheap like me. are there any books that would tell me about lighting my tank with LEDs only and growing macro w/ LEDs and how to build my tank from scratch and use great stuff foam background? I doubt it.

Hey Zachtos,

This is off the subject, but you used great stuff foam for your background in a reef tank?

I used great stuff foam for the background on my NC24 viv, but never tried it with saltwater.

Do you have any pictures you can post, maybe even start a new thread with info using the great stuff foam background. I don't think many people even know about it or consider using in a reef tank.

Rick

fishwannabe

Anyone reading Chris Brightwells new book specificaly about nano-reefs? Opinions?

I just ordered it from Amazon.

Fishwannabe

• 1 month later...

The book I really like is a small one, yet it is jam-packed with information. It's called The Marine Reef Aquarium by Goldstein. It's really, quite good, except for the fact that the corals are described in Latin names

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have 4-5 books but only one of them is an absolutely must-own in my opinion:

"Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman. I find myself going back and rereading sections of it all the time. It also has an extensive set of references if you want to look at the actual research. Anybody in this hobby who doesn't have this book should absolutely get a copy.

I've got one more on order from Amazon and one reserved at the library. Hopefully one of them will be worth my time.

DementedLullaby

I prefer books but they are expensive and can get out-dated after time. Libraries have good selections from time to time but not always. The net is a decent source of info but you have to be careful what you believe. Always check out a few places!

One Eyed Bunny

I like to read. So, I own most of the popular reef keeping books as well as a couple marine biology books.

I find them handy and informative. I definately would never purchase a coral, fish or invertebrate without consulting my collection of books and nano-reef.com.

• 5 months later...

I get 90% of my advice from other aquarists, but I hit the books the other 10% when I get 'conflicting' information... A good example is my Copperband Butterfly... The book called it a difficult species to keep, and he was one of the easiest in my tank!

• 11 months later...

LOL, I broke out a old book from 89 the other day and thumbed threw it. I think it was Marine and reef systems and invertbrates by Martin Moe. Lot of out dated stuff on water chemistry but still good stuff on DIY that would still apply such as skimmers, reactors, tanks and sumps.

I get most my info through internet research now but back when I bought that book there was nothing really on the net.

So far I've been getting my information from the web - chiefly this site and Reef Central. (And mostly this site.) Earlier today I ordered a couple of books.

The biggest thing I expect from the books is the systematic organization of the information. I expect to find - for example - something about what kind of animal is a coral. Then break it down to groups of corals and their characteristics. And finally, I expect to find a list of commonly found corals with individual descriptions of their characteristics. Plus I'll be getting information from someone who is a known expert in the field. That's not to say that the folks on this forum are not experts. I'm sure that many have expertise in various areas that exceed the book author. And there are others that do not. I just followed an old thread between two enthusiasts who had just started out. Before long they were advising each on issues for which they could have no personal experience. [boggle.] They were simply repeating what they had read on the site. Does something become true if it is repeated often enough?

There are some excellent attempts to systematize the information presented here such as the Coral Info Database. It's an excellent resource for picking out some "first time" corals and I presume that is it's focus. I can go to my LFS and see many many more corals than what are listed there, so it is nowhere near comprehensive. Maybe we need to start "fishipedia" along the lines of Wikipedia. (Actually, when I googled Maroon Clown, I did find an entry there.) Igreen's Ultimate Nano Fish Guide is also a great start. But consider the quantity of material compared to a printed book and you will see that Igreen has a daunting task ahead of him before his web publication comes close to a published book. This is not to dis' the efforts put forth to put these guides together, but rather to put in perspective what can be accomplished by a hobbyist in their spare time vs. a paid professional.

On the other hand, when I want to buy a book, I have found no better place than the Internet - be it forums like this or news groups - to research that topic. In some topic areas (like computer programming) there is an incredible amount of absolute trash gets published. One of the best ways to identify the better publications is to ask a group of people who have read the books. When selecting reef books, I started with the discussion in the common pitfalls thread (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1018974) and ordered "Natural Reef Aquariums" and "Aquarium Corals" with full confidence that I am ordering the best books on those subjects that are available.

The Internet is a terrific way to connect with like minded individuals the world over. For information that relies on collective experience, it is tops. I don't see it replacing dead tree publications yet. Eventually I have no doubt that it will.

-hank

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
CorvetteJoe

nope. Just internet and advice from reef buddies.

I don't buy any books really, too expensive for something that just sits on a shelf when the SAME info can be found free on the internet.

• 4 years later...

No, I just use the websites like live aquaria when I have a question about care. Mostly for corals because I new to know there temperament and water flow and it is a great website because it has a lot of fish and coral an good information about them

• 4 months later...

I have Brightwells nano reef handbook, marine fishes by Scott Michael, marine invertebrates

By Shimek, and just picked up aquarium corals by Eric Borneman. IMHO these are a few of the best books for a noob to veteran reefer alike.

• 10 months later...
Nano sapiens

Sprung and Delbeeks' 'The Reef Aquarium' 3-book series is still the best around IMO. Even after many years I still read these and they are a great 'go to' resource.

• 8 months later...
fishfreak0114

I use books, internet and this forum. The best book I have is "the contentious marine aquarist" by Robert Fenner

Archived