Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do you use reef keeping books as a source of information?

Christopher Marks

I have quite a collection of Reef Books:

- The Reef Aquarium - Vol 1 and 2, by Julian Sprung

- Aquarium Corals - by Eric Borneman

- Corals - A quick Reference Guide, by Julian Sprung

- Invertebrates - A Quick Reference Guide, by Julian Sprung

- Reef Invertebrates - by Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner

- Marine Aquarium - by Vincent Hargreaves

- Marine Invertebrates - PocketExpert - by Ronald Shimek

- Marine Fishes - PoketExpert - Scott Michael

Plus I subscribe to FAMA, Aquarium Fish, and CORAL magazines

Bob

mushroom head

Never ever used a reef keeping book as a sorce of info. I actually never owner one. Im to cheap to buy one. I just use the internet. It gives me TONS of info.

I started by reading books. but they get outdated so quickly, that I don't see as much utility in reading them.

But, I still keep Fenner's book next to the can.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

Hahahaha.

I actually dont have any reef books but I should get some, since im in the hobby. I like reading but I havent gotten to it.

Usualy i use them for fish research/identification, or if I am looking for design ideas. Usually look at the picture more than i read them i do have to admin.

neanderthalman

I'd like to get a good book on coral/invert species identification. As far as general reefkeeping, it's a changing hobby, so they do get old. Try reading a computer magazine or book from five years ago....it's sad.

Reef Secrets by nilsen and fossa is also an awesome book. Has a lot of interesting stuff even for more advance reefers. I like this book because it answers more of those "how come?" questions rather than just "how to" like most books do. Probably my favorite reference book right now.

I started by reading books.  but they get outdated so quickly, that I don't see as much utility in reading them.

ha ha! yep. a lot of those books still feature pictures of undergravel filters. ha ha.

1980 called...they want their undergravel filters back!

Marine Invertebrates - PocketExpert - by Ronald Shimek

Marine Fishes - PocketExpert - Scott Michael

Those are 2 great books...

Excellent starter book for beginners:

0793821215.jpg

This one with Paletta's helps fill in some blank spots. No ONE book is perfect. SH

The nice thing about published books is that they are usually always peer evaluated and edited so the information is accurate. What you find on the internet could be pushlished by a retail store and effected to make you feel good about buying something rediculous.

A good example is many new hobbyists insistance on using liveaquaria.com as a source of information. I've honestly never seen so much misinformation in one place. From inproper husbandry information or none at all, to misleading stocking suggestions and under-estimated lifespans and adult sizes.

Relying on internet information can be quite dangerous. If you're talking new morphs and popular trends, sure the internet is best. But if you're looking for scientific information, there's better.

Just my, as always, humble opinion!

I have one old book I began reading when I started, but now I use the Internet and my LFS. They are very good and seem to be interested in their customer success more than just trying to make a buck. However, I mostly use the Internet.

I do find it a bit funny that someone can diss information from one source as bogus and then site another piece when truth be told neither one of them really has any more credibility than the other. I've been fishkeeping for a long time, and if there is one thing I know is that the hobby in general is flooded with faulty research, both in print and on the web.

Now, I don't say that to discredit any particular site or author but just because something is in print does not mean that it holds more credibility than a web page or vice versa. If you are operating under the assumption that something in print has gone through scrutiny to prove what it says, you ain't never been around the publishing industry, have ya? lol. Anyone can write a book (and get it published, even better now a days, publish it themselves), anyone can put a web site up regardless of validity. Authors may have good intentions, and in general be "respected" in a hobby but still produce what amounts to scientific poo poo for a book or article. In any article/book just because a few terms and measurements get tossed around that look good, does not mean that there are not 1001 reasons that the conclusions and/or the methods used to reach and prove them are flawed.

There is very little "good" science that actually goes into the aquarium hobby. There isn't really enough that goes into marine biology in general for our own sake as inhabitants of the planet much less to figure out improved methods of keeping mandarin gobies in a box of water displayed in my living room. Yes, I know that better methods developing aquacultured livestock will reduce pressures on ecosystems... but there are bigger issues for marine biology to tackle. Reality is there is just not enough money in this hobby to fund much actual scientific research. (despite the proportionately outrageous sums anyone reading this has likely contributed)

I came into reef keeping with a "grain of salt" mentality regarding research, gathering information and opinions and then in the end generally going with my gut regarding final decisions in terms of what seems to make sense to me or not. In general that works for me. I find that forums like this one (and other FW forums I've been on for years) more useful than the vast majority of published (print or the web) material in general because they detail more real world examples of successes and failures.

• 2 weeks later...
GrizzleBee's

I've got 2 aquarium books I read: the Reef Aquarium vol.1, by Julian Sprung, and Nature Aquarium World, by Takashi Amano...Except that last one's for planted tanks. I also have a handful of of old 80's material, and one from 1966, which is pretty freakin' outdated.

Oh, I know the majority of people wont agree with me in that books are better sources. I/we live in the US where books are as well liked as aiptasia. LOL. I admit to being a book loving 'nerd'. ;)

I have around 30 books on aquariums, fish, corals and inverts.

Even with all these books the web is still a good source of reference to compare the facts. Theres so much mis-information on the net and in books that I think you need to use both to get the (as close to) correct information on whatever it is your researching and learning about IMO.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I started by reading books.  but they get outdated so quickly, that I don't see as much utility in reading them.

lol, i got bornemans book in mine

• 6 months later...
fish n' pets

I think books are a great source of information, when they are up-to-date. I have Reef Secrets, The New Marine Aquarium, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, The Simpl Guide to Mini-Reefs, and a new book on they way!

I know this is an old post....

• 2 weeks later...

the internet is my only source of information.

mostly forums nano-reef.com / reefcentral.com

it would be easier to start out with books though.

it's hard to use books only, especially if you have questions, want to do anything out of the ordinary or want to be cheap like me. are there any books that would tell me about lighting my tank with LEDs only and growing macro w/ LEDs and how to build my tank from scratch and use great stuff foam background? I doubt it.

• 1 month later...
non-photosynt

No, they give just basic information, far from complete, important and useful for daily keeping. Web and forums are the places where are people willing to help, thanks, people!

Archived