Cultivated Reef

I got tired of waiting to buy a nano skimmer...

Nico

I got tired of waiting to buy a nano skimmer...so, I built my own.

The skimmer is 2" X 3" X 15" with a maxi 900. I placed it in the second chamber but easily fits in the first or third. I have it set on a timer to operate 12hrs out of the day. The collection cup fills with a tea color waste and needs to be emptied everyday. Skimmer is still in the breaking in period.

Other than that, I'll let the pic's do the rest...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nico,

That's a sweet skimmer. Are you are able to close your hood fully with that skimmer in the chamber?

I may have to be your first customer! Let me know how it goes.

Nick

Thnx Nick,

Skimmer doesn't get in the way of the hood...fits nice and snug back there.

I won't be selling these...I may get myself in trouble if I do. LOL

you did one helluva job downsizing :D

the thing looks great, let us know if it starts pulling darker skimmate, that thing looks great!

Uchiha, Thnx...

I raised the collection cup last night with the rubberband(O ring)around it and was able to pull out a much darker tea color skimmate. I'm still trying to get it adjusted just right. Thnx again...

Nick

Don't want to get in trouble eh? Hows about the source then so we can try and make them ourselves . . . wait . . . I'd probably loose a limb but might be some other handy folks that would like to give it a try.

I might be able to do it . . . does duct tape hold under water? :P

Looks great though! Good Job!

Dome,

I got the acrylic from a local shop in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

BB,

I'll try and post some DIY plans soon.

Thnx...

Nick

Dome,

I got the acrylic at prospectplastics.com because, I was in the area. I picked up two types, clear and smoked transparent.

There's one place called theplasticpeople.com which is located in Miami. They are closer, just off the Palmetto and have more stock.

Also, I was in Lowes recently and noticed they had a dark transparent acrylic which was similar and much cheaper.

Nick

Archived