ReefCleaners.org

[OPEN] oogie

oogie

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Pic :D

The Nurce top-off is nothing new, and it works very well - I have no idea why people get all wraped-up in the theoretical "what-if" concepts - osmosis? c'mon people ;) the tube that you use to control the water level has an air-gap (vacuum) in it, so there is no saltwater/freshwater mixing. It is slightly difficult to understand the concept of how this system works though - it is a good idea to search for "nurce top-off" to find some diagrams of what's going on.

Inherent inadequacies - It doesn't dose very slowly though - and it is constant, so it's no good for dripping kalk (overnight) in my personal opinion/experience (large pH flux).

The only physical problem that I have ever had with this method is making sure that everything is very air-tight, salt creep has a way of breaking seals, and killing the vaccuum inside the top-off container, causing you to slowly empty it. Cheapest consistent top-off though - and no electrical or moving parts.

Thanks for all the view points on this top off matter.

ToeCutter and MadTownMax, thanks for the insight. It makes me feel alot better!

I have decided to put Precision Marine's HOT1 skimmer for this tank. I will post some pics when it arrives.

Thanks

Upright Joe

Sorry, as soon as I posted that I realized that osmosis only applies to stuff moving through a membrane. I was hoping nobody would notice and call me on it :). I know there's another word that I'm looking for but I've been outta school too long.

Thanks for putting up the name of the type of topoff MadTown. I'll do some googling. I'm actually pretty stunned that the freshwater layers nicely like that. Makes me want to rethink using float-switch based topoffs...

Oogie, I'm sure you've got a bunch of work to do on other areas of the cube but when you do get it up and running, I'd love it if you could check your salinity in the reservoir and put up numbers after a day or two of contact with the sump. If you find yourself with extra time anyhow...

The word your looking for is diffusion*

If you guys want, I can send everyone who wants plans on how to make an this topoff with stuff that every aquarist should have (milk bottle, silicon, and airline tubing)

Originally posted by jmt

I liked the picture of your beaver better.

toecutter.jpg

It took me a second to actually figure out what the new one was :/

Originally posted by jmt

I liked the picture of your beaver better.

toecutter.jpg

how the hell did you guys find that pic of uncle toe? I haven't seen it in a while. this one brings a more accurate image of toelester to mind.

robert-burton.jpg

or this

max104.jpg

Hmm, not sure all that picture means, but anyways, here are some updated shots.

Here is sump area with Precision Marine's HOT1. I needed to re do some plumbing to make it all fit!

sump07.jpg

Here is shot of the tank just 2 pieces of small live rock and lots of base rock. I will add more rocks later. Lots of bubbles from skimmer because I just turned it on!

full01.jpg

Here is controller I am using. Its called Aquatronica from italy!

aqautronica01.jpg

Thanks

Well, you have all the equipment right, but your aquascaping is well...BAD...

What kind of rock is taht? Looks like it came out of my drive way :D.

Sorry for the critisisum, but that's just plain awfull...nothing personal.

It's certainly different and unique,... but it'll be PITA when it comes to gluing the corals to those pieces of rocks, unless you stack them like shelves.

alexwbush: I know! Help me!!!!!

Travis, mdt178: Yeah it looks ugly because aquascaping is not done yet. That is sort of like frame for the rocks. I hope it will turn out ok!

Here are shot of the sump area. As you will notice, I returned my PM HOT skimmer because it made me exceed 12 gallon limit. New skimmer is made by company called Pro Clear Aquatics Systems and model number is MPS75. Its small and its ventury driven. It comes with RIO 600 and I replaced it with Maxi-Jet 1200. Also, I decided use the float switch I already had for the Aquatronica controller I have. I wanted to give it a test.

sump08.jpg

Here is close up of the skimmer.

skimmer01.jpg

Here is shot of little more live rock added.

full02.jpg

Thanks!

mushroom head

Does that skimmer work better than the old one? BTW i think the aquascaping looks pretty cool! Your nc6 has even made me start one up.

FYI if you ever need another small skimmer, a jebo 2003 is great (I wouldnt trust any other jebo products though)

It could probably skim a 55 gallon...

Plus its only $35...

I agree, the rocks arnt... great? you have this awsome setup, but no live rock (yet) if I were you I would just put all live rock, no base rock...

shroom: I think this skimmer will be ok. Its still breaking in so, give couple of weeks and I will let you know.

Maxvan1: Thanks for that info! Any links?

lgoins: Its about to get even more crazier...... Stay tuned!

I am seriously disturbed by the amount of free time some people have! Either I am doing something terribly wrong or Oogie is Dr. Frankenfish!!!:D

In all seriousness, great setup. I can't wait to see what else you have under your lab coat.

Bob

Originally posted by oogie

shroom:  I think this skimmer will be ok.  Its still breaking in so, give couple of weeks and I will let you know.

Maxvan1: Thanks for that info!  Any links?

lgoins: Its about to get even more crazier......  Stay tuned!

no, and as far as I know jebo doesnt make them any more... so e-bay only...

it runs off a 512GPH pump... and has a pin thingy (ahh cant remember what its called!:D ) , thats all I know...

Originally posted by NanoBob

I can't wait to see what else you have under your lab coat.

Bob

You want to look under Oogies Lab Coat?? :x

i love the equipment and all that technical jazz you added to the tank. the live rock is...where'd you get it? i heard premium aquatics has GREAT rocks, i'm going to order some from them for my fuge and the bf's tank.

this tank is CRAZY! in a good way, in a very excellent way :D

where'd you get your pvc and ballvalves and etc? they look awesome.

NanoBob: Thanks for the comment!

Maxvan1: Thanks for the info! I will look in to it!

Babycakes: I am aware of Premeium Aquatics have grea rock! I have used their rock in my other tanks! Great colors and full of life! I wanted to use half base rock and half live rock for this tank. Base rock is just caribbean dried rock I glue together. Live rock I have is from my other tank that has been "Cooked" for about a month. So not much life on them but it has full of bateria! It shuold get covered with some coraline in no time. I get my plumbing stuff thru either Lowes near me or http://www.savko.com.

Here is a shot of my next project.

226W Peltier water cooled by Swiftech water block. I am hoping this would be enough to get me thru summer. I haven't gotten all the parts yet but I will post more as I get this going.

chiller01.jpg

chiller02.jpg

Archived