SaltCritters.com

[STOCK] Apex003

apex003

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright FTS is forthcoming, but here's a couple more of the corals I've added first.

I got these palythoas at the LFS for $30! They were tucked in the back, and I couldn't really tell what color the centers were, but they sure looked purple with green mouth and skirts. I don't know that they're "true PPEs", but they're close enough without having the pay an outrageous premium for the name.:

DSC02148b.jpg

Here's my little frag of alien eye echinopora. It's showing some nice growth since the move to the nc6, and you can see the margins are all green in the area of growth:

DSC01997b.jpg

And now, the piece de resistance. This is Pepe (because I think he looks like Pepe the Prawn from the Muppets). This little guy was at the LFS in Raleigh and I couldn't resist! He's been in the tank since 7/21 and is doing great. He's quite bold now and eats like a pig!:

DSC01677b.jpg

DSC01687c.jpg

And here's a FTS (finally...)

DSC02094b.jpg

Thanks Igoins. I go to a couple LFS, but the zoas and maze brain came from Triangle Tropical Fish in Durham. Some of the prices are descent, but it's weird and inconsistent. Some zoa frags are $60, and I don't think they're as nice as the ones I bought for $8. The reasonable priced stuff is labeled "nano corals". In Raleigh, I go to Fish World usually. My collection wasn't that expensive compared to some you see on the boards and most of the "rarer" (i.e. expensive) pieces I bought before the contest for my 18g Via Aqua and transferred over.

Fishfreak- He wasn't very cheap, let's put it that way. Less than 200 bucks, though. I've always wanted one, and thought a Helfrichi would be the perfect centerpiece for my nc6 and they just happened to have a couple at the LFS.

Here he is peeking from his hidey hole:

DSC01875b.jpg

And another surveying his territory:

DSC02080b.jpg

ya..i wanted one so bad but i only have $140 and im saving that for my new desktop nano..should be up and running by december..have to wait till the Aquapod is out

Good luck with the desktop nano! With all the NCs that seem to be breaking, it's probably a good idea to wait for a more "stable platform". I can't complain about the JBJ product because mine has been great so far *knock on wood*, but I do pray not to loose everything. My downstairs neighbors wouldn't be too happy about the 5 gallons of water coming through the ceiling either...

Thanks Proflatlander! The LR came from Chad over at Reefscience. Very reasonable price, I bought it fully cured, and it never lost any of it's coralline growth during my relatively short cycle. He's local, so I got to hand pick all the pieces with him. I'm hoping that the coralline will spread to the back wall so the whole back is purple, but I have a long way to go for that.

Here's a couple pics for today:

I like this one because it looks like the snail has a big ol' smile:

DSC01859b.jpg

Here's a shot that's about 6 weeks old now, but I like this perspective and Pepe sticking his little head into frame:

DSC01888b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SuperPuffer! That's awesome! The frame makes it look so... elegant. HAHA! Do you have it in higher resolution? Maybe I'll submit it as one of my entry photos! :P

Well, wish me luck! We just got a home offer accepted, so I will be having to move the nc6 to its new home! YIKES!!! Please serve up any advise on safety relocating a tank...

Very nice set-up. Great to see some of the nano's didn't crack and are turning into beautiful tanks.

Also, good choice on the Helfrichi firefish. I've always wanted one, but just can't get over the price tag.

adinsxq- Thanks!

BelowH20- Thanks also... With all the bad news about nc's cracking, I have really been holding my breath! I'm very nervous about moving the tank to our new house, but I'm going to try and be as careful as possible to stay in the contest. The Helfrichi is an awesome fish. It's so colorful and actually very bold and full of personality once it becomes well acclimated and there are no other tankmates to bother it.

• 1 month later...

Everything went fine with the move, with everything surviving and no breakage! Whew!!!

I need to buy a new bulb for the tank to get the light quality back up, though. Nanocustom here I come...

It sure seems like this nano contest kind of died on the vine, especially with the pico contest having so many entries. Does anyone know if this contest is still in effect? I post questions in the Q&A and no one answers, and there are barely any existant tanks left for the 11/30 end date. If anything, this has been a publicity nightmare for JBJ...

Archived