SaltCritters.com

Do you use a protein skimmer?

Christopher Marks

thanks! the tank is a DIY AIO 20l. the background is foam.

Was the foam background DIY also? If not, where did u get it? It's very good idea to use a foam background. I have a narrow tank, it looks bigger with foam background.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reef-luva

• yoshiod9

• Travis

• Stanley

danthenewreefman

I let my sponges eat the poop water :lol:

I like seeing it kinda dirty, more natural, more bugs, more natural all around.

Your natural bio-filter can handle that stuff the skimmer pulls out.

but i got 54w of light on a huge chaeto ball and a fuge half the size of the tank...that is the key

30g main + 14g fuge

4 months...what is a nitrate? I forgot....ammonia, never seen it. Phosphate who?

Edited by danthenewreefman
Amphiprion1

I did for many years, but my newest tank will feature only an algal turf scrubber. Granted, my new tank isn't necessarily a reef, but it will contain some corals and an anemone.

thanks! the tank is a DIY AIO 20l. the background is foam.

I like the rock work and can't even tell it's foam. Very nice!!!

I like the rock work and can't even tell it's foam. Very nice!!!

Where are all of the pics? Here's mine with no skimmer, just small daily water changes and a large weekly.

IMG_0599-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Where are all of the pics? Here's mine with no skimmer, just small daily water changes and a large weekly.

IMG_0599-1.jpg

Very nice tank and great example that a nice tank can be done skimerless. You use frequent water change to export wastes, some use fuges/scrubbers, chemical media ect.. Bottom line is waste must be exported. I just choose to plug in a bad-a$$ skimmer and let it do the work for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here no skimmer

Picture279.jpg

The new tank will have a algae turf scrubber, so I can feed more and not skim out the food.

29G cube/15G sump no filter sock zoa/paly tank only.

Edited by Phyto4life
  • 4 months later...

No skimmer here I been running 2+ years and ran a skimmer for one week in all that time. That was about 18 month ago and the damn thing drove me crazy with the constanst ajustmants the noise and the micro bubbles.

My reef gets along fine without it and I don't add or have to add other products to the tank either as the weekly water changes are enough to keep them right.

I seem to be averaging about a bucket of salt a year and have my own RO unit so the water changes aren't expensive to do anyway. Why should I put up with a skimmer?

• 1 month later...

currently am running skimmer less..have been running skimmer less for an year now, but am working in a new sump and will be installing a larger skimmer with the new sump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...