Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do you use a protein skimmer?

Christopher Marks

person1000000

I didnt when i started my tank end of Feb 08 but i just added one about 4 days ago and it seems to pull alot of yellow gunk out every day and helps make my water look clean and clear would probally recomend on gettting one along with regular H2O changes you should be set

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reef-luva

• yoshiod9

• Travis

• Stanley

• 2 months later...
CorvetteJoe

Nope.

I had one on the old tank because I didn't have a fuge or filter and was borrowing it (just a standard tank)

On my NC12 and my new BC29 I just run filter pad, chaeto and a return pump only in the back.

• 1 month later...

Remora FTW. I used to run assorted crappy skimmers on my tank, with assorted results.

1) Airstone skimmer, kinda worked, got similar skimmate to the prizm

2) Prizm Pro, kinda worked, got darkish tea colored stuff out when dialed in right

3) Skilter, used in an emergency, not worth the power bill on it.

4) Remora, works great and is pulling out black gunk daily.

Everything in my tank has looked better when I run a skimmer however (with the exception of the skilter) and everything is getting really happy and more colorful with the remora on there now, so I use one and enjoy it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am running an AquaC Remora nano on my 12g Aquapod. It fits perfectly on the back with the input pump in the first chamber and the output flows to the second chamber.

It does a great job as I have a decent bio-load (1 fish and coral fed every other day.)

My experience with AquaC has been fantastic - they stand behind their products and don't make you go through hoops to get to solutions.

Todd

pimp4cheddar

I had started a thread like this awhile ago...

But the bottom line is the brought the Remora C along with the surface skimmer box...and my water is crystal clear. I love it.

It helps keeps the surface clean and my cup fills up atleast every 2 days. I had to raise it a bit, because it's pulling out some tea colored stuff...when at first it was straight GREEN.

I guess my tank is pretty clean. I have 1 fish and no corals (which will change this week) so I guess it's running out of gunk to skim.

I was doing water changes every week and it's been 2-3 weeks and I haven't touched my water bucket!

It's great...I was in the same boat as a few of the people here...and said, "as long as I do water changes...it'll be fine". That sh1t gets old really fast, and with a skimmer it helps out.

I spent $240 after everythings, (Remora - $170, Surface Box - $40, Tax)

It's a well spend investment...I had the Seaclone and it was pure trash...

Edited by pimp4cheddar

I do now, though I didn't for my first three years in the hobby.

I now run a Tunze 9002 in my 20H + 10g system. I must have a low bioload because after the break-in and initial scummy load, I don't get a whole lot of skimmate. It isn't an adjustment thing either. Maybe I just need to start adding some juicy foods. :lol:

Also, could we put the poll back in?

Edited by Mr. Fosi
  • 1 month later...

I had nothing and wrote in this very thread 3 years ago when i started my first nano reef. Recently added a skimmer and I am regretting spending the $175 for it. Trying to return it now and should have stuck skimmer-less like i had from the beginning. There's no need ultimately to have one and believe that systems our small need the nutrients, unless you have some crazy fish / bioload.

filefish949
The age old debate, do you use a protein skimmer? Vote in the poll.

what poll?

and yes I use a skimmer... fairly big but not big enough to suck the salt out of the water E.G. BM

Countryreef

I really don't think anyone but me cares what I run. Currently on my 20g I have an Aquafuge with modified skimmer which I think does great. My 75g has a modified Coralife 65 which I think also does great.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have my seaclone sitting somewhere... Might've even been tossed in the trash... I have a Remora w/ a MJ1200 on the back of my 20L and I love it. I'll recommend it until the day I die for small tanks that need serious cleaning. I keep my acros happy... Must be doing something right! :P It runs from about 7am - 11pm (aka the hours I'm usually awake) since it's a couple meters from my bed and loud as all get-out. ;)

No f'ing kidding. I have a Remora on my 20g that is 5 feet from my bed, and it's so frickin loud! But people say to run them all the time. I wanted to check out a Tunze, but I'm not sure if the investment is worth it, just in hopes for a little peace. :huh:

No f'ing kidding. I have a Remora on my 20g that is 5 feet from my bed, and it's so frickin loud! But people say to run them all the time. I wanted to check out a Tunze, but I'm not sure if the investment is worth it, just in hopes for a little peace. :huh:

There are plenty of arguements for and against running them all the time... I only run my skimmmer for a couple of hours a day and it does just fine.

• 1 month later...

No skimmer for me but I'm working on a Algae turf scrubber so I can feed more and leave in the food while taking out nitrate/phosphate I personaly find it's the next step up in the hobby for anyone that is use to running skimmerless tank

• 2 weeks later...

Without skimmer:

Food = happy fish = fish waste = dissolved particles = ammonia + bacteria + misc. organisms = ammonia = happy fish = good

With skimmer:

Food = happy fish = fish waste = dissolved particles + skimmer = dissolved particles = ammonia = happy fish = good

Skimmer fails:

Food = happy fish = fish waste = dissolved particles = ammonia = bacteria + misc. organisms = ...ammonia = sad fish = dead

Is my logic sound or am I missing something?