• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reef-luva

• yoshiod9

• Travis

• Stanley

Ughh I havent used one..Yet, but plan to do so. I have hesitated to buy one because I will be doing an upgrade and want to use that skimmer for the larger tank. I do need one right now though.

Hey there. I have used them in my store system (7ft tall) and on reef tanks over 40 gal. Currently I have a 24 nano and I am not even thinking of one. They pull out lot's of good stuff, which one ends up having to replace them. Water changes are more than adequit.

I run an AquaC Remora 24/7 on my 29 Show. I have ran all my previous tanks w/ out a skimmer before, and I never new how unclear the water realy was :D

Sweet pics...skimmers are great when you got a heavy load...too

many corals excrete "toxic slime" and so skimmers come in real handy.

What pictures?

Yeah, Skimmers help take out the Toxins and other nasties that we can't test for. I have read many posts where peoples corals, fish and Inverts where dieing, even though all of there basic params where perfect, or close to perfect.

I have never run a skimmer until recently when I added a AquaC Remora. I thought the weekly water changes were enough, until I saw what the skimmer is pulling out of the tank. The water also looks much clearer.

A very good investment.

B)

Bob

wouldn't run any tank without a skimmer since i saw how much crap is pulled outta the water column.

reef-luva- what "good stuff" do skimmers pull out of your tank?

....benificial organic and inorganic trace elements.

They can be "too" efficient, if that makes any sense.

For me, my experience tells me smaller the reef...less is more.

Don't over crowd (which is really hard) keep the ammonia down, constant(but small)water changes. Big systems...larger margin of error...nano's, very small margin. For me.... thats all.

Travis...is that your 29 gal show?

...naturally... the tank has it's own balance. The more we pull out, the more adjustments need to be made. If you run a skimmer 24/7, especially during/right after adding "expensive" additives,

your not only wasting time and money but there is no true way to measure the elements lost. Skimmers than run "wet", meaning a lot of water, not just scum in the cup, are examples of this. They also can throw off the P.H. Nothing's free in life kids, every toy has a price. Skimmers need to be constantly "tweeked" to obtain maximum performance. Too much work for me and my little nano. ;)

lol. "beneficial organic and inorganic trace elements"...you sound like you're avoiding the question good sir. :D

honestly though, what beneficial organic and inorganic trace elements are being pulled out of your tank by protein skimming?

I'm glad you find me funny Yoshiod.

To answer your question:

calcium,

magnesium,

strontium,

amino acids

and important micro algea's essential for growth and balance.

To name some....

I have been in this hobby for well over twenty years,

I've seen plenty come and go.

Owned a fish store for a while...so you could say

that I have an opinion.

Everyone knows when you skim, you have to add more.

Well, most people.

I just like mini's to be simple. no skimmer.

I run a euro-reef skimmer rated for a 100gal on my 40gal system...

havn't had any problems so far. Skimmers might remove some good things, but from my experience it seems like it'd be hard ot over skim.

Has any one ever read an analysis on skimate that showed that a, b and c were in it that the tank needs? Something like that would be good to read.

well I only have a 10g fowlr and I thought that perhaps a PS may help so I made the rookie mistake of buying a cheap one, won't say which one b/c I am embarrased, but now I have a $60 powerhead. I had the PS running for about 2 days and could not get it to flow correctly b/c it was an internal and had to be cut to fit. Needless to say the whole thing was a waste of time, money and it cost me my yellow tailed blue damsel

wow, ok, i'm just a little perturbed by your opinion though. lol. instead of being a jerk and flaming you, i think it would be better for you to read about the myth of over-skimming and find out what can and cannot be taken out of the water column by protein skimming.

btw...longevity isn't corollary with knowledge. just because you've been in the hobby for well over twenty years doesn't mean that you are a pro. ;) hell, i've been playing soccer for 17 years, that doesn't make me a pro. :D (the previous statement was a joke...so don't think i was being a jerk!) :D

anyway, here's a link for you to read...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...E+over+skimming

it deals with the thought that people can skim calcium, magnesium and whatnot out of their water column when, in actuality, those elements are more than likely being used up by the tank inhabitants...not being skimmed out. :) check it out...it's a good read.

I have my seaclone sitting somewhere... Might've even been tossed in the trash... I have a Remora w/ a MJ1200 on the back of my 20L and I love it. I'll recommend it until the day I die for small tanks that need serious cleaning. I keep my acros happy... Must be doing something right! :P It runs from about 7am - 11pm (aka the hours I'm usually awake) since it's a couple meters from my bed and loud as all get-out. ;)

Seaclones are so bad... I have had nothing but bad luck with them.

just my experience though.

The "myth" artilce linked to in the post Yoshid posted seems to suggest that over skimming is possable.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Kogut

I have my seaclone sitting somewhere... Might've even been tossed in the trash... I have a Remora w/ a MJ1200 on the back of my 20L and I love it. I'll recommend it until the day I die for small tanks that need serious cleaning. I keep my acros happy... Must be doing something right! :P It runs from about 7am - 11pm (aka the hours I'm usually awake) since it's a couple meters from my bed and loud as all get-out. ;)

: I tough out the noise :P

--Dan

lol. cloudy...sorry...stanley read the entire thread bud. borneman is basing his idea that over skimming is possible on an incomplete analysis...(which he states in the first sentence or so!). read reefer_buddha(diydude)'s explanation..."Borneman states in the first sentence "I still feel there is too little information on exactly what, how much, and how effectively foam fractionation affects various components of the water column of reef aquaria." So he's basing the article on unknown or incomplete research.

Well i have problems with borneman's conclusion that its not good to have a "constantly stripped" water column. If thats the case then people should discontinue use of refugiums, skimmers, phosphate socks, carbon and the like. What he fails to mention is that everything (as i stated before!) isnt left IN the water column.

The only things that would be removed from the water column are: 1) associated with "bad things" that were trying to get rid of. Example, some molecules might be complexed with fatty acids or phospholipids......those would be removed by skimming, but who's to say that those molecules are even "bioavailable" when complexed?. 2) Another type of molecule that might be effected (not necessarily removed) by skimming would be something that can easily be oxidized (i.e. iodine/iodide)."

overskimming is, generally, impossible.

Haha... Those are just two of my many alter-egos. Nah... really i've only got the two, I started using my first name on this other forum and I kind of like it, so sue me (just not with tigah, I hear he's good). heh...

I read through the thread, I agree with you Yosh-...

I just don't have the background or data to speak to any borneman's claims. I have never had any problems with over-sized skimmers, just healty tanks that seem to tolerate my errors well. Just wanted to see how you or others would adress the issues he raises.