Top Shelf Aquatics

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carl_in_Florida

You drive a hard bargin. $12 plus a rare brown paly and a half bag of chaeto.

Or i could just wait till you have the time to build these things. maybe i will just stick an airstone under a coke bottle.

Carl

Originally posted by g0tfish

pm me for the acrylic pieces. im interested. how would shipping be?

that would be a good idea. utr can make a kit for ppl how want to make it but don't have the material to do it. just an idea

Okay, I have a 40g tank and am looking to make one of these. I was originally going to use an injector style one like you outlined in the old thread with the injector like this:

remora.bmp

Excuse the bad dimensioning, it was only so I could remember the basic dimensions of it. I was going to make it 2.5" deep.

Now I am looking to do the venturi one if it pulls out more junk. What is the difference between this Venturi for Maxijets http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=Maxijet

And the one that comes in the box? (It attaches to like a T on the output with an airtube going up with a regulator)

So can I use those same dimensions that I had before (the acrylic isn't cut, but I only have enough to make one that size, not much bigger) just make the drain higher so that the injector is submerged? I also already have the Maxijet and would prefer to not have to pay more but I imagine that the impeller inside the Maxijet would chop up the bubbles to a much finer size than a venturi on the output.

Also, how do you adjust the water level in the skimmer? The size of the drain and the location of the drain?

Any sugggestions you have for me would really help, after seeing this thread it made me think. Thanks again!

Undertheradar

dont bother with that design...that one has been improved upon. The problem with it was that many bubbles ended up popping up right back into the injection area. Thats why the whole thing changed. Use one of the designs in this thread.

Undertheradar

mushroom head...

8" might be pushing it...you would have to make it wider and with more baffles to eliminate the bubbles.

doody,

here you go...

post-7237-1132343893_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

the inlets and outlets are done just like the injector on the HOB ones...with caps and elbows holding washers against the body. The inlet pipe just has a 1/2" hole in its side to let the air/water mix in. NOTE: this is an asperating version...the pump sucks in and mixes the water&air before pumping it into the skimmer. I was amazed that those little 80gph pumps could suck air down 12". A MJ400 w/ asperating intake would also be a good pump.

As for the larger one, its pretty much the same, but 1.5"x4"x20"high, with the skimmate outlet at 16" do drain over the side of a 20H or 40B. Powered by a RIO600 mixing pump, with 1/2" CPVC inlet and 3/4" CPVC outlet that is threaded into a 1" PVC standpipe. A MJ900 or 1200 w/ asperating intake is going to replace the RIO.

What is the difference between the venturi that comes with the Maxi-Jets and the one that you posted a link to on Premium Aquatics? Is it the location of the venturi (input/output) or is it how much air it sucks through?

blastprimo

This is a really cool plan and I think I am going to try to build one of the insump ones this weekend. I just need to get my hands on a few pieces of acylic and CPVC. I'll update when I get one made.

Thanks again.

Undertheradar

xtrstangx,

The asperating venturi fits onto the intake of the maxi-jet...and the one that comes with goes on the output. Since the asperating venturi allows the pump to mix the air&water with the impeller, the resulting output is more air, as well as finer bubbles. Also, the venturi on the outlet is subject to problems by any backpressure farther down the outlet which could render it useless all together (and the venturi becomes just another water outlet).

Hi Wetworx,

First off, thank you Jon for all your DIY contributions, it's made my reefing experiences more enjoyable and fantastically fun. I still remember you when Caja, Crakeur and the rest helped us noobs out.

Although the soon to be missus hates my tinkering, half the fun for me is playing with the system even in truth going simple with barebottom, cooked rock, MH, and a fat skimmer will suffice.

I want to try my hand on your aspirating version and have a few questions:

-Is the air intake as simple as stuffing a piece of airline into the grill of the intake and topping it off with a little valve that comes with the maxijets?

-Should the airline go up close to the impeller?

If and when you're ready to take orders for the precut kits, let us know so we can fill your pm box. :)

Cheers,

Tony aka Huari

blastprimo

I am looking at building the in sump model just as you have it but I am hoping to use a pump I have laying around (rio 600 w/ the added benefit of an air line inlet). Do you think I will have an issue with the higher flow pump and is there something I can do to reduce the pumping power if it is an issue?

Undertheradar

Thanks huari, Im still around because I love to tinker as much as the next guy.

1. Y

2. Y

3. Y, if you use the same pump I did

No need to fill my PM box. I have some things to take care of this week (Im best man in a wedding, so I gotta resreve paintball field, strippers, beer, and food this week)...but when the time comes I will post a thread in classifieds and post the link here.

Undertheradar

blastprimo,

the rio is a much bigger (and mixing-er) pump. I use one, but the skimmer is much larger...1.5"x4"x20", with 1/2" inlet and 3/4" outlet...I mentioned it at the top of this page.

I have a question about tuning this thing... I built mine about 2 months ago, and finaly got it running on the tank two weeks ago. I am using the venturi version, not the injector style btw. Anyhow, I have a ton of bubbles and everything seems to be working, except that I'm not really getting anything... During the day all the little bubbles just pop at the surface. When the lights go out it starts making some foam, but it never builds up high enough to enter the "collection area" it gets to the top of the baffle up there, but by then the lights come back and the foam is seemingly re-absorbed back into the water. could I have made the baffle too high? or do I need to find a way to raise the internal water level in the reaction area? Could my water just be too clean? (Yeah right!) Any insight would be apretiated.

-Xytrix

Originally posted by Undertheradar

As for the larger one, its pretty much the same, but 1.5"x4"x20"high, with the skimmate outlet at 16" do drain over the side of a 20H or 40B.  Powered by a RIO600 mixing pump, with 1/2" CPVC inlet and 3/4" CPVC outlet that is threaded into a 1" PVC standpipe.  A MJ900 or 1200 w/ asperating intake is going to replace the RIO.

Looks like these are dimentions in sump version that'll handle bigger tanks. What about some hob dimentions that'll handle more?

Undertheradar

Same, but 6" wide to accomidate the extra baffles needed and 1/4" plexi you want to use. So 1.5" x 6" x 20".

Undertheradar

Xytrix01

where the foam is collecting, is any brown gunk collecting? The best way in the past to diagnose problems is to post pics.

Archived