Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ProFlatlander15's 29Gal Project

ProFlatlander15

ProFlatlander15

sorry, havent updated all summer..i just passed my Firefighter 1 class and have been workin 2 jobs... havent really had time to post. anyway i ordered 2 check valves today from dr fosters n smith to complete my plumbing. btw i did add dursos in the overflows, and it is almost silent. the check valves are the swinging type, not spring loaded, so i dont think they will cut down the gph that much....right?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
btw, i cut the glass myself which makes me proud! i used one of those cheapo glass cutting tools and sanded down the edges with me power sander.

Rock on man!B)

can you take pics of your stand pipes, and post some more details about that? i am looking to do the same soon. i was gonna do 1 1" drain, with 2 1/2" returns and run a mag 7 into a T or a mag 9 into a SCWD. i was thinking just mag 7 with a T. what pump are you using for your return?

ProFlatlander15

i am using a qiuet one 4000 (1000gph) T-ed into two 3/4" returns. i can't really take pics of the dursos because they are inside the overflow...i will try, but all you will see is the top. my drains are 2 1" drains. the more the merrier, and the less chance that that both get clogged or something.

ProFlatlander15

not yet... i just got back from myrtle beach today...and ive been so busy that the 29 has been put on hold for pretty much the whole summer...schools startin tho, and ill be keepin u guys updated a little more. tomorrow im puttin in the check valves.

• 2 weeks later...
ProFlatlander15

ok, i just ordered a bunch of stuff from fosters n smith so i am going to try and get my project going again...i got a SunPaq 24" Double retrofit kit with an extra actinic bulb, 2 150W 10000K DE SunPaq bulbs, some salt mix, and finally, yes, this is it.....a refractometer!!! everyone should look at their Red Tag sale, only good til sept. 5th!

edit: i also cant get too far ahead of myself because i ran into an electrical problem. it seems my entire downstairs basement is on one circuit, and running this tank would make everything have to be turned off on the circuit (computer, TV, etc). i am having an electrician (friend) come in and look at it soon...

ProFlatlander15

here is a quik pic of my canopy i am building...it has the same detachable face as my stand for easy cleaning and feeding

Canopy_Inside.jpg

on the lower left your can see the REgent fixtures i am planning to mod in.

ProFlatlander15

heres a few pics of how my canopy is comming...i hope to get the fans wired soon.

ready for painting

No_Paint_Taped.jpg

the inside painted white, ready for black on the outside

Inside_White.jpg

paint drying...my favorite part...

Canopy_Black.jpg

one of the two fans i am installing

Fan.jpg

canopy on the tank

Canopy_Done.jpg

ProFlatlander15

a little more work over the weekend...also a question...is it bad if the MH bulb (near the end) touches the ceramic holders?

a bracket i bent from steel. this will allow the lighting fixture to sit directly over the fan for optimal heat reduction (i hope).

also, i hammered out the bend in the light bracket, making it just the right size for 150W bulbs

Bracket.jpg

how i hardwired the fans, shown here is only one. it wired in a 'quik-disconnect' in case i wanted to take the hood off, there are no wired tethered to it.

Fan_HardWire.jpg

how the fans will sit in the canopy

Fan_Assembly.jpg

top view

Fans_Installed.jpg

pic of one side of the canopy, showing the MH fixture, ready to go. i am going to place a piece of glass over the bulb, of course.

Side_1_Lighting.jpg

what do you guys think?

ProFlatlander15

lol...you scared me. i just bought two 150W ballasts as we speak, and hopefully i can get this hood on in a week or so.

ProFlatlander15

i think i am going to do 1 sheet of glass all the way across for a splash guard...not really what i wanted to do...but i dont really have any other options, its gonna be hard to pack my actinics in there as it is...

If you do that, you are definantly going to want to have a small fan blowing cool air over the water in your sump. The glass top will trap in heat.

ProFlatlander15

all done with the major stuff, just waiting on the ballasts...

here it is, my (shhhh)...$500 canopy.(still gotta get some moonlights)

halides before PC

Halide_X2.jpg

PC+MH

Canopy_Lights.jpg

(2) 150W 10K MH + (2) 65W PC Dual Actinics....you can start crying now

ProFlatlander15

lol...i was thinking about t5s actually but i got quite a deal on the PC setup...$90 for everything, so i went with that. also, the T5s would have made the hole in my pocket unrepairable.

Archived