Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ProFlatlander15's 29Gal Project

ProFlatlander15

Lookin good! Glad my thread helped you. What return pump are you gonna use? I like the power center, good idea and good use of space. I hate having power strips all over the floor around the tank. I just picked up an Eliminator power center and will put that on my tank this weekend. That will be so much nicer.

BTW your pm box is full so i just emailed you.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ProFlatlander15

i did not get an email from you, sorry, but my PM box is now empty. i only had 4...hmm... oh well try now. i think i am gonna use a pump around 1000gph or bigger, because with head loss, i want around 900 gph. i havent really looked at too much equipment except for lighting. thx impur.

Am I looking at this right? The power box is on the back side of the stand? So how do you adjust the timers or anything else once you have it filled?

ProFlatlander15

the timers stay adjusted, and there will be about a foot of space behind the tank. the whole idea was to keep the powercords, etc out of sight.

ProFlatlander15

i use the same timers that perpetual uses in his power centers and they automatically account for daylight savings time because you program the date and time into them. also, they have a battery as backup so when the power goes out it doesnt mess up. they have been w/o power for 4 days and are still going. set it and forget it!

ProFlatlander15

i think i am going to order bulkheads tomorrow and drill the tank... i am going with the impur-style overflow with (2) .75" bulkheads for return. no one has objected, so i am guessing it will work (~900gph)and am going to drill the tank tomorrow.

I love 29 gallons! Couldn't stand not drilling mine, only reason I didn't was the lack of a proper drill and fear of messing up! (on a very tight budget)

ProFlatlander15

yea, props goes to perpetual, you guys should check his out, a little more professional than mine, and a good price as well

ProFlatlander15

i was waiting for someone to ask that. i have 4 magnets that hold it on, and a piece of wood on the inside that fits right into a groove so it stays on. clean look, no hinges, handles or anything. i like it.

ProFlatlander15

got some updates, finished my overflow, and ordered my bulkheads...

here is how i grinding out the tank...took about an hour, using putty, a diamond dremel bit and lots of water.

14354Grinding_out.jpg

all finished. all in all the overflow part is 11 inches long, and 1.5 inches deep

14354Finished_Grinding.jpg

top/front view of my tank

14354Tank_Drill_2.jpg

back, with overflow installed, measuring 12 X 8 X 5. dual 1 inch drains, hold water! also, 2 holes drilled for 3/4" bulkheads

14354Tank_Back.jpg

ProFlatlander15

i was gonna cut acrylic teeth and glue/silicone/whatever them in place. however, i came home today to find the back of the tank had cracked ALL THE WAY DOWN. so now i gotta get a new tank and redrill and all that sh*t....ah! atleast i was water testing outside...

ProFlatlander15

im out to buy a new one right now, this sucks i got my pump and bulkheads today too....i think i am going to do the same idea, but leave the black rim on, just in case, and have the water flow underneath it. the tank was real old, probably 10 yrs or so, maybe that is why it was cracked? or was there too much weight in the externbal box? its only like a gallon and a half...

ProFlatlander15

i had an acrylic external overflow on my 10 gal and had problems with leaking between the bond of glass and acrylic...

ProFlatlander15

definitely. also, it was outside, so it just leaked onto the lawn. i got a new 29 today, and am going to drill the same 3/4" bulkheads, and a similar type overflow, but not take off the black rim. hopefully that works better

ProFlatlander15

its actually scrap whiteboard i had laying around. i sanded it down, and just threw two coats of latex flat black paint on it. i wanted to do something unusual, and it is really cool, i just cant take good pics cuz it is black

ProFlatlander15

tomorrow the drilling of my second 29G shall commence. i am doing the same 3/4" bulkeahds, but instead of taking off the black rim, i am going to make sort of an oval hole right below the black rim. this way there is the glass siliconed to the rim and the rim itself for suppport that i did not have with the first design. if anyone has any suggestions/ideas, please spare me another $45 tank and let me know, lol. thx

Archived