Coral Vue Hydros

How do you measure the salinity of your reef?

Christopher Marks

I have a refractometer, but after the hundredth time checking the salinity and it being exactly what i wanted it to be I just put the thing in storage. I just know the right amount of salt to use at this point.

Warning: noobs should ALWAYS double check their salinity. do NOT blame me if you don't and things die.

I hear you. Sometimes I make water and don't get around to the actual change for a few days, so there is evap. Just add water back to the line on the inside of the bucket. I you do it the same every time there is no reason why it would be different.

Warning: noobs should ALWAYS double check their salinity. do NOT blame me if you don't and things die.
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most accurate way i have found is to dip my finger in the water and taste it, if it doesnt taste very salty i just grab the mortons and dump it in. seems to be working great, the three tangs in my 12gallon nanocube are so happy they jump for joy.(somtimes ending in their death) but hey its their life who im i to judge. seriously though, my LFS is cool and will test it for free, i have a hydro and its way low.

• 1 year later...
has anyone compared accuracy between a refractometer and a floating glass hydrometer? if so, please post your results.

Depends on the units chosen. Floating hydrometers can be very accurate - if used properly. For speed and consistency though, the refractometer is the winner. They are virtually idiot-proof.

The swing arm dealies, some may be accurate enough for a while, but over time they tend to become less and less accurate and precise. If your livestock choices favor things that can handle some changes in salinity this may never appear to be a problem to you. If you are really looking for consistency though, outside of some spendy lab equipment, a refractometer is the way to go.

• 3 months later...

I use the floating hydro. Toss it in the tank before a WC and toss it in the bucket before I add.

Side note, I use the floating hydro to measure specific gravity on my home brew as well. Not the same one for both. That'd be like ghost busters crossing streams.

• 2 weeks later...
Side note, I use the floating hydro to measure specific gravity on my home brew as well. Not the same one for both. That'd be like ghost busters crossing streams.

I just watched that yesterday on another side note.

Wish I could just smell it and say yeah this is about the ocean.

But I use one of those floating hydrometer thermometer combos, although in the bucket I cant get my face low enough to read it so I have to put it in a tall bottle first, slightly annoying.

I occasionally use my refractometer but always find myself grabbing for the hydrometer. Its actually pretty darn close in it's readings compared to the refractometer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Refractometer. Cost $42.

Used a swing arm for the first few months, bought a refractometer per the overwhelming opinion on NR.

Much easier and more accurate than a swing arm.

• 4 weeks later...

A refractometer saved me a few times. I used to be able to eyeball how much salt was needed basically down to the grain and be spot on 1.026. I made 1 huge batch that lasted me all summer and now that I'm mixing individual buckets again last time I ended up with 1.014 and the time before that I got un readable because I added so much.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

refractometer.....hydrometers are inaccurate.but dont take my word for it,test ,then take sample to your LFS aand see for yourself

Archived