Photo

How do you measure the salinity of your reef?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

divecj5

divecj5

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,585 posts
  • Joined 25 Mar 2007
  • Charleston, SC

refractometer from Drs. F&S...got it on sale about a year ago. I bought one of the swing arms at first but decided to just pop for the refracto from the get go.

shiveley

shiveley

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2006
  • Sacramento, CA
taste test. I like to run my tank between tangy and zesty.

wabbit

wabbit

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 18 May 2007
  • south florida
I am using a swing arm right now. First time I used it on natural sea water I got from LFS. It read 1.029.
I just make sure that I always read 1.029 when I check my tank. Looking at refractometers though...
Genesis 1:20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Scott Riemer

Scott Riemer

Diver Down

• Moderators
  • 12,909 posts
  • Joined 09 Sep 2006
  • Yorba Linda, SoCal
Salinity? What's salinity and what bearing does it have on my tank?

Kidding! :D I use a refractometer. Some people get lucky and get a semi-accurate swing-arm. Mine was way off. I don't regret paying the money for the refractometer.

I would like to nominate Scott Riemer for MOD of the month!!!

Scott... you're amazin'. :wub:

neanderthalman

neanderthalman

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

• Members
  • 10,943 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2005
  • Pickering, ON
I noticed I got quoted in a post further up the page. It's interesting how opinions can change with a few more years of experience in this hobby.

I use a refractometer now, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. I still stand by what I said about the floating-glass hydrometers. They are still head and shoulders above the swing-arm hydrometers. Refractometers are still a superior instrument, all things considered.

The nicest thing I find about the refractometer is that all I need is a tiny sample of water, and I don't need to turn off my pumps to calm the surface agitation. The ability to calibrate the unit myself is also very comforting.

For the record, I was able to justify the 10x cost when I wound up with sixty bucks in store credit from an online store that I had no interest in dealing with in the future.
Posted Image
^^New Coral 2010-03-27^^

Posted Image

I looked down her shirt. *shrug* I ain't gay or nothin', but it's boobs. It's what you do.

Srixon

Srixon

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 07 Jan 2008
I am also a "Newbie" and after seeing that my swing arm was severly out of calibration, I purchased a refractometer.

animalrie

animalrie

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  • Joined 23 Dec 2007
I asked my LFS to test it with a refractometer and compared that number to the one on my hydrometer. It's off by .003, so now I just add that much to my hydrometer tests.

mastawong

mastawong

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2008
  • san jose,ca
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but if it is, then it's a great buy.
I'm thinking of getting this instead

tweakmon

tweakmon

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2007
  • Los Angeles, CA
I will never understand how anyone in this hobby could skimp on something as important as a proper salinity measuring device and then turn around and fill their tank with expensive corals and fish.

I guess the same people that use those ridiculous little dip strips instead of taking some time to do the API tests properly to get accurate readings. But never fear....you can bet yer ass they will have a fresh post up tomorrow morning wondering why their goby went belly-up during the night...

Its like buying a Ferrari and putting 87 octane in it to save a few pennies. Un-freakin-believable.

Spend the $35 on a refractometer and be done with it. You can buy that gonipora you wanted next week.

Edited by tweakmon, 30 January 2008 - 05:54 PM.

beeman7467

beeman7467

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 02 Nov 2004
Floating hydrometer. I've had it tested at my lfs and it is basically spot on. Drop it into the tank every week after my water change (also use it to test replacement water). If I ever break it I'll probably splurge and get a refractometer, but that hasn't happen yet.

wav3form

wav3form

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,663 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2006
  • Central Virginia
I use a 40 dollar refractometer and calibrate it with some 53.0mS solution every so often.
==========
Deep inside the silence
staring out upon the sea
the waves are washing over
half forgotten memories...

Phixion

Phixion

Undefeated! ;)

• Members
  • 9,901 posts
  • Joined 01 May 2006
  • San Bernardino, CA
Digi-Lab digital salinity meter. Seems to be more accurate than my refracto is. I haven't used my refracto in months, in favor of the Digi-Lab...
My first S/W and nano-reef tank, My old Aquapod 12g

My Finnex 30g glass M-Tank project

The SCNRS Advance Acrylics built "12 x "16" x "12 custom AIO tank build

EZcompany: i also don't recommend having 0 gallons.

Fraggle Rockette: i's felt it... my couch was rockin and i was the only person on it... lol :P

Adinsxq: i thought it over... it's still lame.

Pickle010: Man.. that's a good looking carpet... I <3 Carpet. (that didn't sound right)

Omen: Why didnt you just put it back into the Ocean? Am i missing something here? Was the ocean closed as well?

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,637 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL
My swing arm worked for awhile too, then it didn't and I didn't know it. A refractometer is the simplest most accurate way to measure for the money. That eBay item above is not worth the money, as it can't be calibrated and a "real" conductivity meter can cost as much as $2000, but is still electronic so requires power. A refractometer easy to use, easy to clean, and accurate. Who'd want anything more. If you are going to buy something electronic, get a good pH meter or colorimeter for wet tests (phosphate, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium)

Phixion

Phixion

Undefeated! ;)

• Members
  • 9,901 posts
  • Joined 01 May 2006
  • San Bernardino, CA
Actually the Digi-Labs CAN be calibrated and come with a 30ppt conductivity solution to do so with. Not screw calibrated like a refracto is done, but it's self calibrating similar to how a digital weight scale calibrates.

Edited by Phixion, 02 February 2008 - 07:37 PM.

My first S/W and nano-reef tank, My old Aquapod 12g

My Finnex 30g glass M-Tank project

The SCNRS Advance Acrylics built "12 x "16" x "12 custom AIO tank build

EZcompany: i also don't recommend having 0 gallons.

Fraggle Rockette: i's felt it... my couch was rockin and i was the only person on it... lol :P

Adinsxq: i thought it over... it's still lame.

Pickle010: Man.. that's a good looking carpet... I <3 Carpet. (that didn't sound right)

Omen: Why didnt you just put it back into the Ocean? Am i missing something here? Was the ocean closed as well?

CorvetteJoe

CorvetteJoe

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Joined 30 Apr 2008
  • Orlando
Deep Six swing arm.
I had it tested against my buddy's refrac this weekend to find out how "off" it is.
now I know and can accurately keep my water correct now.
Reef - BC29, Clownfish, Sixline, PJ Cardinal, Flameback Angel, PPC Urchin (Est Mar 2008)
River - 75gal, sand, river rock lots of loaches, barbs, tetras and others (Est 2004)

Nashman

Nashman

Supper Mod

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Joined 27 Jan 2008
I use a refractometer and wouldn't have it any other way :P

adamskit

adamskit

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2007
Refracto is the only way IMO.

jeremai

jeremai

an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea

• Premium Members
  • 27,121 posts
  • Joined 08 Nov 2005
  • Las Vegas
I use a half cup of salt per gallon of water, plus a smidge more for good measure.

No seriously, that's how I get the right salinity. :mellow:

pretty sure jer was referring to the length

reef information and articles
photography, writing, etc.

SK8URDEAD

SK8URDEAD

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Joined 29 Dec 2008

I use a half cup of salt per gallon of water, plus a smidge more for good measure.

No seriously, that's how I get the right salinity. :mellow:

wells i used $89.99 Refractometer :P why so much? dont remember lol but still! i like the way mine looks and feels

StevieT

StevieT

☼ StevieTree ☼

• Premium Members
  • 29,324 posts
  • Joined 29 Jan 2007
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

2.5 cups to my estimated 4 gallons for me. I still measure with the refractor but it is always spot on.

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

Scaly Man Fish

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Joined 25 Feb 2008
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Are you supposed to calibrate your refractometer before each use?

DrCooper

DrCooper

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • Joined 05 Apr 2008
  • New York

no shouldn't need to!
12 gallon nano in NYC

Previous tanks ( 28 gallon nano, 9 gallon nano and 40 gallon cube)

jeremai

jeremai

an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea

• Premium Members
  • 27,121 posts
  • Joined 08 Nov 2005
  • Las Vegas

2.5 cups to my estimated 4 gallons for me. I still measure with the refractor but it is always spot on.

I have a refractometer, but after the hundredth time checking the salinity and it being exactly what i wanted it to be I just put the thing in storage. I just know the right amount of salt to use at this point.

Warning: noobs should ALWAYS double check their salinity. do NOT blame me if you don't and things die.

pretty sure jer was referring to the length

reef information and articles
photography, writing, etc.

roy91079

roy91079

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 29 Dec 2008
  • Ramsey, Mn
If my cat will still drink the water I just add more salt.

davidncbrown

davidncbrown

Let the good times roll!

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Joined 14 Jun 2008
  • Sacramento, CA

I recalibrate mine every couple months. If it gets banged around or anything the mirror can wiggle out of place needing recalibration.