Cultivated Reef

How do you measure the salinity of your reef?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Combo pH / temperature / Electrical Conductivity meter I borrow from work..... ( I am an Enviro Officer....)

• 1 month later...
mascencerro

best method of all.. taste. I always go by taste of the water.

just kidding, its too early in the morning :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I origionaly bought waaay too much LR to set up my tank. Took excess to the LFS and traded for a Refractometer. Happy ever since :happy:

-pinner

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
chuckfullservice

I think this is more to heart of the subject , if your using a hydrometer , what do you actually keep in your tank ? Are your corals, fish , inverts that sensitive to salinity level? I bought a hydrometer and it varies between 1.022 - 1.0029 every time, thats a big difference , especially when I am trying to keep it at 1.024 , is it really 1.017????? or 1.029??? I personally would rather know exact measurements. I am a beginner and wonder is salinity level being off by this much going to cause a real problem? I'm sure I'm not the only one who got an inaccurate hydrometer and they seem to be fine, plenty of people here have said they use a hydrometer so maybe having your salinity levlel off by .007 -.010 isn't such a big deal??????

Please tell me other wise and would you nice folks using hydrometers tell us what is actually in your tank? Are you beginners like me or do you have a well established tank with thriving corals and fish???

• 4 months later...

hydrometers aren't that accurate. The first of I had has bad, i almost did some damage to my tank. I use a refractometer now. They are worth the extra money!

I use a glass bubble hydrometer, and it worked great until I dropped it X) I calibrated my new one against a refractometer, and it's off by .001. The thing is, it will ALWAYS be off by .001, regardless of what salinity I'm trying to acheive, so I'm still getting results that are just as accurate. I just can't justify paying 10x as much to get the same results. You don't have any issues with gunk building up on the glass if you don't leave it in the tank. I can't think of anything easier to clean salt off of than the outside of a smooth glass cylinder.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
reefkidsclownfish

refractomer, i had 4 swing arms from 3 difrent brands and non of them actualy worked, it was weared, they all would point straight up nomatter what i did. so i finaly just got a RM and it worked great.

Refractometer here.....I can see no reason not to and plenty of reasons not to use a swing arm...

Refractometer here.....I can see no reason not to and plenty of reasons not to use a swing arm...

I've used them all. By far the easiest and accurate in the Refractometer.. Just my two cents. But it is good investment. :)

Archived