Innovative Marine Aquariums

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

filefish949

my wife puts up with my reef an many other hobies, she even started a thread over at RC, she is a good sport about it. I help her along by selling frags about once a month and giving her every penny I get upwards of $400-500 this helps her corralate my tank with cash in her pocket :)

being as she is a stay at home mom, and she has a fairly consistant monthy spending habbit, the $$ I give her from frags is less $$ I have to give her from the bank account. It ends up a wash, but she sees the tank making her money :)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brizhound

My wife has her own tank but she doesn't obsess about it like I do. She just goes to the lfs and asks if a certain coral would go in her tank. But other than that she just loves to look at it in her office at work. I do all of the maintenance. I guess she supports me by letting me spend so much money on the hobby. I am currently setting up my own tank, I think she is going to be jealous.

I havent got a tank yet, but my partner is already moaning about how much its going to cost, and she complains to our friends when they come over on how much time I spend on here looking at various ppls aquariums.

I haven't got a tank yet either, and I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I've lost my mind. :huh:

Dragged him to a frag swap a couple of weeks ago, and he had to admit it was pretty cool--after remarking on how much smaller the frags were than he had imagined. :D

printerdown01

My GF wanted a microscope just to check out everything in my tank up close... :wub: I naturally supported her interest -and I "borrow" the thing from time to time...

She also wants me to culture live foods, so that she can be involved... :wub: Boy am I in trouble if I screw this one up!!

She also wants to start a FW planted tank, but due to the fact that we have 2 nanos and Koi pond inside (don't ask it is a long story, and it was supposed to go outside) we can't figure out where we would put the tank.

BKtomodachi

lol, I've been dragging my girlfriend to the various LFS's in the area for upwards of a year, and she seemed to be compliant, but not interested. Now she says she wants a tank, but with african dwarf frogs. Perhaps this is a good sign. :)

CorvetteJoe

My wife helped me with my tank swap (handed me stuff, held thing up for me, etc) but doesn't want anything to do with the maintenance. "those are your tanks, you keep them up"

Yet the new nano cube has HER clowfish in it LOL.

I also try and pick out stuff SHE likes for the nano, that way I can get it and she won't complain.

Out of my 75gal freshwater, the tiger barb school are HER fish, the rest of them are mine.

It's funny, they don't want to be involved, yet like their one or two fish and want us to take care of them just so it makes them happy.

She hates going into the fish store, but as long as I keep it down to 10-15 mins at a time, she is ok with it. She also complains less now that I have a saltwater tank to stock.... she was tired of the 3 years of looking at the same freshwater fish and plants over and over again.

I had always wanted a saltwater tank so initially my wife thought that when she bought a 10 gallon freshwater tank that I would stop wanting a reef tank. Within 2 months I had turned the freshwater tank into a brackish water tank ;) Then I bought the BC29 which she intially was a little mad about until I started stocking it. My wife runs a home daycare so when all the little kids love it she began to like it too.

I try and keep her inform of how everything works or why I'm upgrading/fixing this or that on the tank. I keep her involved in some off of the purchasing decisions. I do everything in the tank. I have my own account to support my tank, I call it my reef account ;) She still wants to question me sometimes on the costs of certain purchases like the Sunpod 150w MH lighting I bought and explained that now we can have any corals in the tank ;) She does show off the tank when friends come over.

• 11 months later...
Deleted User 6
My wife is totally cool about the hobby. Its keeps me at home rather than at the clubs ... lol

She enjoys observing once in a while and she never questions how much $ I put in ...

One thing though ... when the tank is setup in the house ... there should be nothing sticking out of the tank that she can see and there should be no salt accumulating at the side of the tank ... that's why I go with these all-in-one ... sigh ... so limiting...

This is why I went custom with a drilled tank and a sump inside the stand. Looks clean.

• 7 months later...

when i first started dating my current gf i had her Hooked on my tanks. she loved them just as much as i did. I think its because she saw how much passion i had for the hobby.

she now has 2 tanks, a 65g and a 20g saltwater. she is not afraid to get her hands dirty and loves doing tank maintenance and sometimes even cleans my tanks when im too busy haha =)

she loves going to the LFS everytime i go, even if its once or twice a week. we also go to all the dallas frag swaps when we can. we have visited pretty much every LFS from OKC down to south dallas.

i can say that we are both very addicted to the hobby.

all i can say is i am one damn lucky man :happydance::D

camaroracer214

being a marine biologist, occasional sport fisherman, aquarium blog/article author, and obsessed with my aquariums...i must say my wife puts up with a lot. i'm actually in the middle of building the big system for our new house and needless to say she's nervous.

• 3 weeks later...

^ :huh:

I just had to post on this thread. Being a girl myself, I couldn't imagine a wife of someone in the hobby being nasty about their husband/boyfriend keeping a fishtank. FISHTANK for crying out loud. I'd rather my significant other spend money on macro algae and activated carbon rather than throwing dollar bills at nasty girls at a strip club or gambling or something.

Now I could see if he was scrounging for change to purchase an sps frag instead of putting dinner on the table for his children or letting the bills go unpaid - then there's a reason to complain. Also leaving a HUGE mess all over the livingroom wouldn't be acceptable either, but if it's kept neat - then who cares!

My ex was pretty supportive in a way that he couldn't care less what I did with my time and money - just as long as I left him alone. I could never be with a guy that wasn't supportive/uninterested in it. I want to be with someone that wants to take road trips to different fish stores, swaps, and aquariums. The hobby can be boring sometimes when you don't have someone to share it with.

Okay I'm done. :P

[/rant]

Kimberly, I need you to talk to my wife and bring here over to the light...

She told me that I get $150 a month for the tank since I started back in the hobby 4-5 months ago. I don't think I have spent less than twice that during any single month though, and have put a couple grand into the hobby by now as well.

Kinda forced my girlfriend into the hobby. I saw the opportunity to get a nanocube and stand for cheap, and jumped on it. All she really needs to do is feed the fish, I do all of the tank maintenance when I visit her town house. She loves her clownfish, a true perc and black & white pair, and her roomies/friends love the "nemos." *facepalm*

Kimberly, I need you to talk to my wife and bring here over to the light...

She told me that I get $150 a month for the tank since I started back in the hobby 4-5 months ago. I don't think I have spent less than twice that during any single month though, and have put a couple grand into the hobby by now as well.

I'm still hiding receipts after 4 years. I rearranged my rockwork about a month ago and just yesterday she noticed. That's how involved she is. At least that means that I can sneak stuff into the tank easier.

^ :huh:

I just had to post on this thread. Being a girl myself, I couldn't imagine a wife of someone in the hobby being nasty about their husband/boyfriend keeping a fishtank. FISHTANK for crying out loud. I'd rather my significant other spend money on macro algae and activated carbon rather than throwing dollar bills at nasty girls at a strip club or gambling or something.

I admit now ... my g/f loves the tank ... she has her own 20G and has a 50G cube sitting here in my apartment at the moment and is dying to set it up.

Now in response to the underlined bold part ... lol ... Come over my local site ... I can show you a number of wives/gf's that dumped TIDE and other various chemicals into the tank because they were SOOOOOOOO sick of it. Oh wait ... the skewering of the fish is also a specialty over here. I wish I was lying. I told them ... if she did this to your fish ... she is coming after you NEXT!!!!

Now in response to the underlined bold part ... lol ... Come over my local site ... I can show you a number of wives/gf's that dumped TIDE and other various chemicals into the tank because they were SOOOOOOOO sick of it. Oh wait ... the skewering of the fish is also a specialty over here. I wish I was lying. I told them ... if she did this to your fish ... she is coming after you NEXT!!!!

:o That's horrible! I heard of one instance where a girlfriend poured bleach in because of a fight they were having but that's pretty psycho if you ask me. I'd be a nervous wreck that they were trying to hide chemicals in my food if I did something wrong!

They actually skewered the fish!? :blink:

:o That's horrible! I heard of one instance where a girlfriend poured bleach in because of a fight they were having but that's pretty psycho if you ask me. I'd be a nervous wreck that they were trying to hide chemicals in my food if I did something wrong!

They actually skewered the fish!? :blink:

Unfortunately ... skewered them ... and had them hanging for him when he returned from work. Let's just say the reason she did all of this ... was absolutely pathetic. lol. :)

Unfortunately ... skewered them ... and had them hanging for him when he returned from work. Let's just say the reason she did all of this ... was absolutely pathetic. lol. :)

Yup. Definitely psycho. lol.

I thought about writing a funny article for my club newsletter on this exact subject and voice my opinion but I'm scared I'll have my tires slashed or dead fish in front of my door as a warning! ha

• 3 months later...

She likes the fruits of my labor and AFTER I got her to go scuba diving in Cozumel she has never looked at the tank the same way! She realized the tiny nano world I care for is a REAL thing and the ocean is just the BEST LFS there is. Not sure if the Scuba method would work for you...but just maybe :D

I definately have to keep the monthly expense on the down low...I even once told the LFS owner to tell my wife that I was NOT here this week if she called (just kidding...but it sounds like something I'd do) :P

Archived