Pod Your Reef

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

hahaha, this is the best thread I have read.

My mom thinks I spend to much on my tank, but on a side note she likes to look at all the cool creatures that live in it.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to watch my wife. She spends more money than me at the old reef store.

She likes fish tho - I would rather have only corals and clams but hey if i gotta put up with one or two dorie's and Nemo's to make her happy - :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

HAHAHA this thread is hilarious. I love all you men complain about your wives. The roles are reversed for me. My fiance HATES!! my fish tanks and thinks they are a pointless waste of money. We came to the agreement that when we get married and move in together i will buy no more tanks i will use only what i have. If i want another fish then im gonna have to convert one of my tanks :(. i dont like the deal.

I have a 100gal ,20gal, 5.5 gal and a few bowls. I still want a 50 or 60gal and maybe a 30gal.

My wife actually likes the tank, we just set up a 20G and so far the total is ~$1000.00. We already had the tank, and am using standard lighting until tomorrow, another $300.00 there. I try to figure out where all the money was spent but I can't for the life of me. At least she doesn't whine about it, she just gets sick of me talking about it or putting my hand in the tank to adjust something.

She'll just have to get used to it.

This thread is so funny :D And really makes me glad hubby and I have the same love for the tanks. I had SW FO tanks years ago and wanted to get into reefing so last summer I set up a 10 gal nano for hubby's B-day. He was thrilled. lichatha: we've spent over $1000. on our 10 gal in the last year! About 6 weeks ago we purchased a 40 gal established tank w/20 gal sump/fuge. Then about 4 weeks ago a great deal came up on an established 110 gal tank/stand/sump/LS...oh boy! We don't have room for a 110 but we bought it anyway and put it in storage. I did buy a bunch of great corals(not frags) with fiji LR out of the 110 that went into the 10 and 40 gal tanks. The LS out of the 110 was SUPER, it went into our 2 tanks and what a pod/star/worm explosion! I do all the work on the tanks feeding/cleaning/water changes and hubby just enjoys looking at them. He works long hours and OOT a lot so he really gets some relaxation time tank watching when he's home. He knows I spend a lot of $$$ on them but he never asks how much...I'm sure he doesn't want to know because then he wouldn't enjoy them as much *VBG*

My DH is glad I want to set up a Nano reef - he *thinks* it will be cheaper than my koi obsession! *grin* Actually, he really likes my little FO tank - so when I brought up setting up a Nano Reef - he thought it was a good idea! Well, that and he owes me - his 55 gallon FW exploded on me last year ....

my husband really didn't want me to get an aquarium. he fought me for a long time. then he complained about the price and the amount of rock and the color of the sand and couldn't figure out why i needed crabs and snails. but then he picked out the xenia and most of the zoos and the sixline wrasse, he's still begging for a true perc. and he still complains about my aquascaping, directing me to move that there and this here and throw that hermit into the jail. then he pushes me out of the way so he can watch it.

mine likes it around but gets sick of me talking about it constantly. But she gives me good input on what she wants it to look like and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
NotGumbelWV
Originally posted by Tigahboy

she called it an "unhealthy obsession."  and I have to tell her my acan cost me $20.

Ever notice an obsession only becomes unhealthy when exposed to other people? :woot: Luckily with fish, I deflect that criticism by going off on a tangent about Ric Flair B)

Bryant

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My ex loved the hobby soooo very much. she even tried to feed my tank chlorox bleach the day she left...that silly girl so willing to help.

xoxo

My ex loved the hobby soooo very much. she even tried to feed my tank chlorox bleach the day she left...that silly girl so willing to help.

xoxo

should have held her head under to let her get a drink of the newly sterilized water.

My wife doesn't like any of my hobbies, but that's okay... I won't watch chick-flix with her.

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Oh yeah we both have several tanks. ALways gives us something to talk about.

• 4 months later...

My wife definitely support me in my expensive hobby. At first I thought I'll just spend few hundreds since I already have the tank and other paraphernalias in it. But it turned out to be more than just a hundred, but a load of hundreds. I even tried hiding my expenses from her but she would noticed the addition in the tank easily. Anyway before I buy things for the tank I'll discuss it with her first, have to get her opinion, making her part of the decision in he purchase.

She enjoys looking at it and easily get excited if I point to her the growing shrooms. Everytime I ask her if she's feeling bad about my spending all she would say is "as long as we have the budget, why not. anyway I'm happy you're enjoying your tank and of course I like it too".

I think the only she hates, me always talking about the tank and my plans. She's afraid also that one of this day I'll buy a bigger tank. lol

I'm pretty sure my wife is a little jealous of my tanks. Actually, I know she is :rolleyes:. She says that if we ever separate, she's busting my favorite tank on her way out :scarry:

I've got my Bachelors in Biology and cared for several marine and freshwater tanks during my years at college. While I was working for my Masters I met my wife and she soon learned of my obsession with critters. I did educational shows for children with exotic animals at the time and just had a FW tank with a pair of huge Jaguar Cichlids. I'm in the Army now living in GA with her and the baby and we found a good deal on a 55 so I started my first personal reef. The reefs I cared for at school were huge so its fairly easy for me to do my own, just expensive. She actually listens to all my ranting and enjoys our trips to the LFS...still hates the reptile room though, we're working on that. She watches the tank while rocking and feeding the baby and my daughter Milana absolutely loves all the bright colors. My wife even found her own obsession and is dying for a golden boxer shrimp. Now if the LFS would just get another one in I'd be good to go. Newest addition...nice lil purple gorgonian.

Yep, she sure does, I think she might like them more than I do. It is expensive though cause I go to the LFS just to look and she says "wouldent this look cool" Then I say yeah and next thing you know, oooops we did it again. Oh well we have two tanks now and she is dreaming of getting the big 113 gal set up when we get to cold lake in march. I am very glad she is as crazy about fish as me. We have had some heated areguments over problems in the tanks and what to do but over all we work it out. Simple answer, yes!

Cf_18driver

My wife doesn't get it. But, that's OK, she has interests I don't get. One good sign is that I've been talking about converting my 60 FW to a reef tank, she's worried about what's gonna happen to my FW livestock. Can you say, "new tank"?

Archived