inTank Media Baskets

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. But when I pay $80 for a coral she starts to have a cow man. But she actually likes my hobby and has bought coral before. Of course under my supervision.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

she called it an "unhealthy obsession."  and I have to tell her my acan cost me $20.

LOL!!! At least I'm not the only one who changes the price. :)

yeah. i told her my recent prop tank set-up was thru a trade (so basically free) w/ cesar's "brother." I don't even know if he has a brother. haha.

I change the prices on my wife all the time. I just bought a return pump from Tigahboy for only $50, hahahaha.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

yeah.  i told her my recent prop tank set-up was thru a trade (so basically free) w/ cesar's "brother."  I don't even know if he has a brother.  haha.

Hahaha

it's funny how many reefers bend the truth w/ regards to prices. I keep hearing buyers tell me that they have to fib to their spouses about an acan purchase.

most recently a guy sold stock to buy some acans from me and some others. When I called to finalize details, he was acting kind of strange and never mentioned that he would pay me. He calls me 15 minutes later and says, "sorry, my wife was right next to me so I couldn't mention money or corals over the phone."

Mine will not touch or learn about the tank but i occasionally catch her sitting in front of it staring at a pod or something. Als she has started to tag along with me to the LFS to pick out corals. I always get the "This one is pretty can we get it". I fugure its basicly her tank and i just take care of it.

My wife bought me a Nano Cube for our anniversary and then got mad at me because it ran for several months before I even added rock and sand. Then she saw how much the rock cost. She just rolls her eyes and shakes her head and asks me not to talk about aquariums so much. She lieks the new 37 gallon I put together for our twins. 15 months old and already asking for shrooms. LOL. She like sthem but doesn't understand the cost or the obsession. Funny, she works ina Fisheries and Aquatics dept at a college.

Angel Higuera

I used to have to hide and or lie about the money amounts all the time. Not just with my tanks but with my car.

You have too because they want you to buy stuff for the kid(s) (even AFTER you already done so) or somthing else or themselves. I think most men go through it.

They don't think that without OUR reef's and other hobbiies we wouldint be able to deal with their ass. We NEED our outlets.

-Angel

I spend to much money on reefing to have a spouse lmao. When I had a girl friend, she got ####ed off that I bought a $80 Satalite Fixture from Current USA and I was unable to take her out to eat...ah well, I don't need her, I have my Nano-Reef :D

my girl utterly hates it... a trip to the LFS is like a trip to HELL or worse...

every so often she threatens to smash my tanks. i fear the day will come when she will really do it :*(

I voted "I don't have a spouse or partner" Before I saw the "No, and they left me" vote. One of you mods want to subtract and add for me?

i'm pretty lucky...i've gotten my girl so addicted to reefing that she's actually in our local reefing club with me. she goes to the stores, points things out...even goes halves with me on certain corals(if not buying them for me flat out!). best girlfriend i've ever had! so far we have 4 tanks in my apt. and one in hers. i'm gonna be setting up a 55 soon though! sooooo excited!

Let me say that this is the best thread I've read in a while. Especially Tigah's excuse involving Cesar's potentially fictional brother.

My girlfriend initially wanted to buy me a fishtank for my birthday. She ended up balking on the idea and I did it myself, with her support. Then I started researching on Nano-Reef.com. Based on the threads here, I questioned everything I put into the tank. Naturally, I wanted to bounce my ideas off of her. I think this is probably what made her hate my fish tank.

To get her to go to the LFS, I had to bribe her in some form or another. On top of that, she picked out a starfish from the LFS and I named it after her. Of course, it died. The only thing in my tank to have died. But as time has gone on, and I have discussed the tank less with her, I think she has come to enjoy it as it has matured. Last week she picked out a Feather duster she liked and some small zooanthids.

It's just funny to hear that everyone is/has had roughly the same experience.

..I think my wife regrets the day she said, 'hey, why don't we get the kids an aquarium for the holidays?' Similarly to a post above, I think she does brag about it when company comes over tho'. Explaining the RO/DI unit purchase was (gulp) ..a tough one. But....I think she still loves me. As for the post above about 'Alicia leaving me for the tanks'...don't sweat the tanks man. It wasn't that. Just keep plugging. SH

Archived