inTank Media Baskets

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Truth be known, my girlfriend is responsible for me going marine. I've kept fresh for damn near all my life and now this. No regrets, only less money. It has definitely taken the hobby to a completely new level for me and its' always a good thing when you and your other have some common interests. We both have our own setups and we learn from each other. If she wants to try something I'm not so sure about, she can try it in her own tank. We experiment back and forth and in the long run both reefs continue to benefit most of the time... :D

Hmmm well this is a funny topic. Brit and I don't share our finances except for bills which we use a common joint account to transfer JUST bill money to to pay everything with. If she knew I have 5 grand in a 25 gallon(that's including f'ups too) well..who knows lol

When I was fishless she didn't understand...when I was building my new tank she didn't understand, when I bought her a kitty w/ healthplan & tower & window bed & water fountain she started not caring what I did. Now she takes care of the kitty I take care of the tank(diversion haha). But now that the tank is relativly stocked I catch her watching it or trying to sneak some food in, but always catch her quick...woman you better go rinse them hands in vinegar get that damn soap and lotion off before you go stickin your hands in my tank :P.

So moral of story, she doesn't ask the cost, I don't tell. Use diversion & give her a hobby when you've started a hobby. Keep finances separate, keep her involved, tell her what everything is, ask her opinion on things and placement and colors you want to highlight...but don't take them equipment shopping..Lfs is ok when shopping for fish/inverts. But don't take them coral shopping..lol

Brilliant. My fiancé knows how expensive my last tank was(120 gallon). But I'm sure she thinks the nano I recently started will be relatively inexpensive. Who am I to deprive her of her assumptions? lol

The first time she yanked his hand to play tug, his face was priceless.

I've never heard of octopuses being playful...Do they really do this?

My middle child is 10. When she was 3, Santa brought her a a 10 gallon guppie tank because my wife put it on "the list". I was not thrilled about the purchase. But, after the guppies kept dieing (who the hell knew what chloramine was?), i was determined to figure out why. Fast forward seven years and my 10 year old and I have graduated to Nemo.

Wife hates the money we spend, will not do maintenance, #####es when I spill water, and insisted that it be an AIO. However she is the one that always wants to go to the LFS to pick out new corals. It pisses her off even more when I tell her we will be avoiding the goniopora since the system is not set up for it. It really pisses her off when I say no and the LFS guy insists that it wiill be fine with no feeding and 64 watts of CF lighting.

I look at the tank as our own Zen Box of dual patience....

Mine was there when I started my nano and is now obsessed with nano reefs... She and I have shared many addictions... i mean hobbies... with each other over the past two years! she gets almost as excited as I do when I start to research on something new! but this I believe is the biggest hobby i have started yet!

• 2 weeks later...
Brilliant. My fiancé knows how expensive my last tank was(120 gallon). But I'm sure she thinks the nano I recently started will be relatively inexpensive. Who am I to deprive her of her assumptions? lol

Haha it works so well...until the other day when we went into a store that had the mp10 displayed and she saw it was 289 bucks...and I have 3...but I quickly diverted her with a new $100kitty water fountain cause my cat only drinks from the sink lol

Mine was there when I started my nano and is now obsessed with nano reefs... She and I have shared many addictions... i mean hobbies... with each other over the past two years! she gets almost as excited as I do when I start to research on something new! but this I believe is the biggest hobby i have started yet!

I agree, definitely my biggest hobby yet other then my Del Sol...she likes this one more lol.

• 3 months later...

OH MY GOSH you guys are HILARIOUS with this line! I've been laughing tons reading it all- and as a female I must say, I actually do nearly the same thing with my man... I just try hard not to mention any prices, I hide or destroy receipts and hide new things until he leaves the house so I can sneak them in. The day he said he'd like to buy me a bottle of tiger pods to feed my seahorse and I told him it was $20 a bottle for some "bugs"- he flipped his **** and hasn't offered anything since. He watches it when I'm not home, but otherwise tells me i'm obsessed and when I get all excited about something he just stares at the TV and says he'll look after I go to sleep....riiiight. ;)

I think overall this really is a singular hobby, with our s/o's thinking we're all nuts. And frankly maybe its better that way- I would freak out if I saw anyone's hands going in my water or moving around a display that I had just perfected, or dirtying the tank with too much food. Perhaps its a hobby best left to control freaks and perfectionists to obsess over without our partners knowing how crazy it really makes us. :D

When I get a gofo/wifey, I'm going to make her make a N-R so that we can socialize in my tank threads even though we're just a room away and could easily text.

My girlfriend of 3 almost 4 years absolutely hates my love for the hobby. She still is confused why I want to turn my interest into a career.

Yes, but it is a double edged sword for me. She chooses the pets, my job to care for it. My wife is the ultimate reefer she can manage to keep tanks without lifting a finger (its magic) . she has a small team of tank gnomes (kids and I). plus side is i get to play with fish tanks.

Cactuspancake
Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Lol my boyfriend once dared to ask how much I spent on coral one day, and then said he never wanted to know or ask again! He's a poor med student XD I have the guys at the store write fake prices on the bags like $20 instead of $150 for my maxima lol! He still thinks its expensive!

-Natasha

• 1 year later...

My g/f's tank is by far nicer than mine is atm. Mine is just a dark glass box filled with water and a fish. Hers is a full reef tank, zoas, palys, mushrooms, frogspawn, ricordea, some sps and a really cool naked clown. She dictates what goes in the damn thing, I just get to clean/maintain it.

bpounds1991

My girlfriend loves saltwater tanks now and wants to have her own one day when we move in! She named my 2 clowns before my other tank breakdown Nemo and Nema, definitely despised me for a few days when I sold it lol

#### that shit. Who brought this thread from the grave?

There have been a ton of ancient threads being brought up recently there was two just yesterday from like 09 or something it's really weird

Islandoftiki

My fiance is very supportive. She's not interested in the husbandry aspect of the hobby, but she loves my mantis shrimp, and of course, having a beautiful bright reef tank in the living room helps with the horrible rainy gray days that we get so much of in Oregon. We both love unusual marine creatures and we have brought our mutual interest into our other hobby of pottery with mantis shrimp, cephalopod, seahorse and other sea creature mugs and bowls.

• 3 months later...

The way my wife sees it is that ive had tanks longer than her and weve been together 12 years! So what can she possibly do to stop it? Ill let any of you young couples in on a little secret to long marrige, SEPERATE your finances! This is truly the ONLY way to stay married in this day and age. We all have jobs and wants and needs with no male hierarchy anymore. SO, she gets 4000 pairs of the same colored shoes and I get 4000 little twigs of "colored rock"! The bills get paid and we celebrate 10 years of marrige in October! And so it goes.

I am facinated by the fact that she complains all the time about me trying to bore her with all the details jsut to hear her say, wow, your montipora had grown a ton this month! HUH, you know what a montipora is? No freakin way! So she does listen, unlike me who thinks her $300 crocodile boots look like $10 walmart golloshes...oh and when I had monty eating nudibranhcs, she called them "nanopodapissers"! Classic

this is the best advice I've ever heard, problem is my wife dosnt work and yet she complains when I spend money on the tank, but says nothing when she needs something.
NorthGaHillbilly

Me and the wife, the wife part is a new development but its a 7 year relationship, put a certain % of our pay into a joint account, enough for bills and savings, the rest we spend on what we want. I buy coral, dip and components for reloading... she buys starbucks... and... I dont know, thats the point, If I dont know it dosent bother me.

Yes, she's pretty good about the addiction. Fibbing a bit on Coral prices is a must, also when I told her I'm going to be spending a couple hundred on a skimmer and media reactor to complete the equipment for my newest tank she was pretty ticked! That's why I'll be ordering it when she's outta town for work this week! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

No he doesn't share my interest / love of my reef tank. He will from time to time ask me if or how my rocks (he refers to my corals as rocks) are growing. He will do anything I ask as far as building anything I might need for my tank.

Archived