Top Shelf Aquatics

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

OK, What do I do Now?

For one thing, take a breather. I'm glad I put a tarp down on the floor because that was sort of messy. Some points to ponder now that the rock is in:

Cycling

Ok, the tank is now cycling. If you used uncured like me, this could take 2-6 weeks. If cured, you could be cycled in 1-2 weeks or less if lucky. Parameters to follow are the usual: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. How frequently...there are different opinions. I'm going to test daily.

Lighting

Again...some different opinions here. If you don't supply light to the coralline algae on the LR, you will have more die off. Some recommend 10-12 hours per day for cured. Some say start 2 hours per day in the beginning and increase daily, uncured. If your rock is cured, I'd start light up right away.

Water Changes

Popular posts say to avoid water changes during the cycle to prevent delaying it. Others recommend a change if you have a very high spike in ammonia. If you do do a water change, most recommend a 10% one

Specific Gravity

As the week goes on, you will have some evaporation from the tank. Remember that in a marine tank, salt does not evaporate and the s.g. will slowly rise. This is when one will 'top off' with pure water. If your s.g. needs to be gently raised, eg, you need to go from s.g. 1.023 to 1.025, you can carefully topoff with SW. If you are at the s.g. you want to maintain, you will top off with pure water.

Saltkreep

As water evaporates, it will leave crusted salt on the top of the tank. This should be wiped off with a clean moist cloth. Make sure you don't use any chemicals or a cloth that was used elsewhere.

Algae

Yes..it's coming and hopefully not overwhelming. This when to add ( and I love this term) The Cleanup Crew..to be discussed. SH

hello steelhealr, i have started my first sw tank 2 weeks ago today. I have been checking my salinity ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph, temp. daily.

i have a 30 gallon nano with 30 pound of LR and roughly 2 inch all around live sand bed.

i was told by the LFS to wait 2 days and get damsels and then wait a month before start to add fish or corals.

since then the salinity i kept it the same1.024 the ammonia has been the same 0 the nitrite has been the same 0 and the nitrate has gone from 0 gradually to 10ppm. also getting a lot of brown algae build up

called the LFS and they told me because i had so much live sand and live rock that i didnt need to cycle the tank, and that i should get the clean up crew to get rid of algae.

Do i need to cycle it or is he just pushing me to get a clean up crew from them?

Thank you in advance

Tneguev

Your LFS is giving you bad advice. Almost anyone here would tell you to go through a cycle before adding any fish.

Your sand and rock has the bacteria to elemenate the waste any animals produce so if you add a fish there will be a mini cycle. So add a fish and wait a while till your sand/rock has the ability to eliminate/filter out the animals waste. I have a 24 JBj and once had 4 fish and I was maybe pushing it, I think 3 was a good number for that size tank (everyone gives different opinions) For 30 Gallons I would say 4 fish maybe 5 after tank is established. LiveAquaria.com is a good place to see Temperment, Min Tank Size and other attributes of fish.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awesome thread! I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought alot of my stuff. lol.

Now I atleast I have some sort of guidance for my build I am doing currently with my 24g Nano Cube DX.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey! What light does everyone use on their NC? I wanted to fit my reefbreeders into the good but it's not going to work. Any suggestions of kits other than rapidled? Or even bulb replacement. Looking to get enough light for my BTA. I'm also wanting to keep the hood if possible. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I was also wondering where people recommend to put there powerheads in these tanks?

I just ordered a WP-10 Wavemaker and I am just curious where would be the location. I was thinking toward the front right corner so that the powerhead is not fighting against the flow from the pump in the back.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Hey! What light does everyone use on their NC? I wanted to fit my reefbreeders into the good but it's not going to work. Any suggestions of kits other than rapidled? Or even bulb replacement. Looking to get enough light for my BTA. I'm also wanting to keep the hood if possible. Thanks!

I ditched my hood and went with the AI Nano. Its awesome!!

• 10 months later...

Hi. I'm new to this forum and this thread is the best. We just got a Nanocube 24. Got rid of that stupid hood and just bought an AI Prime Led light. I know I'm reviving an old thread.Lol

Hi. I'm new to this forum and this thread is the best. We just got a Nanocube 24. Got rid of that stupid hood and just bought an AI Prime Led light. I know I'm reviving an old thread.Lol

Very old thread... Lol

Good decision on the prime, I have a AI Vega over my nanocube

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
rickztahone

Very nice read for someone learning the ropes. TFS, albeit, it is a very old thread, I still felt it was relevant besides a few dead links.

• 3 months later...

Even tho this is an old thread I am just loving it!!! Not sure if you're still on the site but this is great and helping me so much. Thank you!!

Is there anyway you can post a pic of the cracks in your tank? Idk if it's possible to capture it. I'm at a week if cycling at the moment. Used tank from a friend a think there may be cracks but unsure. Possible crack or scratch... ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I used the trulumen 3 strips work great looks awesome 1/2 hour install

• 7 months later...

Hi folks, I am resurecting my old Oceanic 8 and am new to this website. I've upgraded to Truelumen LED's, thrown out the bioballs and re- utilized the sump for better filtration and circulation control. I've looked all over the net looking for a new/used splash guard. Anyone know of a possible person/website that might have or make a new splash guard?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic