inTank Media Baskets

Reefer Addict's Ganja oops Coral Farm

Reefer Addict

Reefer Addict

It's not a nano but will serve as the storage/growth/frag tank for the corals displayed in my 30g cube.

My goal of this tank is initially three fold:

1. Use as a 'storage' tank rotating corals between the display and prop tank whenever I get tired of the look in the 30g cube.

2. Allow some of my coral to grow into colonies.

3. Handle over flow. I am totally maxed out on space as it relates to my display tank.

I have ordered a custom glass tank 48x24x12. 4 drilled 1 inch bulkheads used for return inlets. Overflow box with a 1.5 bulkhead drilled on the bottom which will flow into a sump. Still trying to decide on sump design, skimmer, lights, return pumps, etc. Any advice to make this a successful project is GREATLY appreciated.

The tank is slated to arrive within the next 2 weeks. Pics will be posted once it arrives.

I will be using my old cherry stand that used to support my old 120g reef. Look at pics below.

Wish me luck!!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what your saying is your gonna use a huge tank for a grow out/prop tank for your 30g tank?

You my friend, are ass backwards:P :D

Reefer Addict

Yep. :P

My 30g cube was initially a quick fix for my addiction. I was going to set up another 120g reef tank once I finally settled in (recently moved down to So-Cal from Nor-Cal). Come to realize that it is sooooo much easier to manage a 30g display. Managing a 60 gallon prop tank will be easy as compared to a 120g reef. At least for me. I won't have to worry about 'aquascaping', etc. Remember, I am compulsive obsessive. :D I would be constantly having my arm in the 120g while it does not matter how it looks in the prop tank... Just throw them in and watch them grow!

My long term plan for a 'big' tank is to build one into one my walls. Again, this is a long term goal...:P

I've been on this site all day and I didn't see this thread. The title caught me off guard, lol.

Cool idea for smaller display, larger grow out.

Reefer Addict

BelowH2O-It still sounds strange having a smaller display tank and a bigger prop/frag/storage tank. The pressure of not having to aquascape a large tank takes a lot of pressure off of my shoulders. At least for me. I'll just swap out corals when I start to get tired of the look in the dispaly tank.

Also, I feel it will be easier to propagate and farm specific corals in a frag tank. I have passed on quite a few colonies that I would have picked up if I had the space...

I feel you man. Ten gallons keeps me busy enough. I'm always messing with something. I couldn't even imagine keeping a 120g!

On the other hand some extra room would be nice.

hmmm... what kind of lighting are you planning on using w/those dims?

i'm guessing open top, so you're going to use pendants? (bleh)

Reefer Addict

Ceiling height is still an issue. Thinking of using a 48" Aqualight Pro with a 20k 150w DE MH bulb. The Aqualight Pro series comes with stands. They have a pretty cool low profile look to them. I currently use a 24" version on my 30g cube.

What do you guys think. Is a 150w DE MH good enough to satisfy the needs of SPS's due to the tank only being 12 inches tall?

Reefer Addict

Here is the light fixture that I was talking about. It is the only MH DE fixture that I could find which has the option of using leg support stands.

Reefer Addict

Here is a really old pic of my 24" fixture over my 30g cube. Keep in mind that the 30g cube is only 20" across, thus the overhang. There will be no overhang with the new tank. Both the tank and the fixture are 48".

dont do legs, man. that's ghetto. haha.

do like a shelf-type of wall mount if you can't hang them from the ceiling.

Archived