ReefCleaners.org

How do you "top-off" your nano reef?

Christopher Marks

gulfsurfer101

I got no pics of this one but a float switch from chicago sensors and am currently using a toms aqualifter into a 2.3 gallon resvior,(carribsea Sw with RO water in it), modded extention cord retro'd for the floatswitch to tie right into it and it works just fine. I fill that jug about once a week along with a 5g water jug for my 2 weekely water changes. It cost about 20 bucks since the aqulifter was a freebie and the airline tubing is like around 2 bucks. I'm all about ghetto cheap but keeping it looking pimp.

please tell me how to set this up

i have the exact bottle hahah

Okay, you're half way there :) .

Your next job is to remove the metal balls inside the metal tube. I used a cut-off wheel to remove 1/8" of the metal off the tube end. They should then fall right out.

Next, you'll need to position the bottle tube end at your optimum tank level so that the tube end is just barely fully submerged (like in the pic of the experiment above). From there it will automatically gurgle fresh water into the tank when evaporation occurs until the tube end is covered again by water.

smokey_the_bear
Okay, you're half way there :) .

Your next job is to remove the metal balls inside the metal tube. I used a cut-off wheel to remove 1/8" of the metal off the tube end. They should then fall right out.

Next, you'll need to position the bottle tube end at your optimum tank level so that the tube end is just barely fully submerged (like in the pic of the experiment above). From there it will automatically gurgle fresh water into the tank when evaporation occurs until the tube end is covered again by water.

thanks so much

i just did it

exept for the cutter wheel

i used pliers to widen the end

but it works!!!

:D thanks

thanks so much

i just did it

exept for the cutter wheel

i used pliers to widen the end

but it works!!!

:D thanks

Great! I'd like to see how this works out for you when you've got it set up on the tank.

I used a GHL optical switch connected to a Profilux Plus II

cabinet.jpg

hey xenon,

have you had any trouble with the peristaltic tubing with the more caustic stuff (kalk, etc.)?

do you have a closeup pic and link for the optical switch? tyia

hey xenon,

have you had any trouble with the peristaltic tubing with the more caustic stuff (kalk, etc.)?

do you have a closeup pic and link for the optical switch? tyia

I just set this controller up a few days ago and have been testing to see if kalk can keep up with my calcium/alkalinity demands. It turns out it cannot so I will be dosing with 2-part recipe #1 from now on and top-off with ro/di.

I don’t have a close-up of the optical sensor.

How do you "top-off" your nano reef?

JBJ ATO system with backup control by RKE. RKE float sensors monitor high and low levels in the sump while the JBJ monitors low water in the ATO reservoir and the sump. If the RKE float sensor's trip then either the return pump shuts off (low water in sump) or the JBJ is shut off (high water in the sump).

Think of it as being from the department of the redundancy department.

If you have a skimmer that need to be at a specific water level to function properly you must have an ATO. I am blown away how productive my skimmer has been since adding my controller.

Budget ATO

Gallon plastic bottle with 2 holes in the lid. One tube goes to the bottom of the bottle. One goes in 1/2"

Air pump

Digital timer

This makes it possible to be away from home for more than a couple of days without worrying about the water levels.

CHeers

NRG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Used to have a Auto top up but since I added a fuge and found it less reliable when two tanks are in the system as if I need to adjust the pump and normally do after a water change, the level slightly alters and if I forget and put my hands in the fuge lots of water goes down the overflow and changes it again.

So decided to use it as a safety cut off for the pump in case of a overflow block it will turn the pump off. I now check the SG every night before bed which has accually been eaiser as after a water change I no longer need worry about the exact water level. All I need to do is make sure the SG is right each night and before the water change.

Edited by badwolf
  • 1 year later...

I have a come bottle turned upside down with a tube at the water level I want, when the water level

Drops a bubble rises up the tube and a drop comes out to keep it at the same

Level, some may say that's lazy but it works, I just fill it daily or every second day when needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
thadscottmoore

I use a dual float switch setup in my sump. the actually brains is my Reef Keeper Elite- simple program on/off program triggered by the float switches. I keep about 5 gallons in a container on the side of the tank(inside the sump is a maxijet 1200 that is connected to a homemade reducer to a quick connect hose fitting), from there it goes through my Kalk Reactor and dumps into the sump. been using it for years- never an issue.