SaltCritters.com

How do you "top-off" your nano reef?

Christopher Marks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
DementedLullaby

I keep a thing of water beside my nano tank and when I need to do a top off I just take some air hosing, put it at the level I want it to go down to and drip it into my tank. I refill the thingy every 2-3 days.

I might try DIY'ing an auto-top off system soon for if/when I have to go away. We will see ^__^.

Edited by DementedLullaby
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

i use dual floatswitches from autotopoff.com. connected to a small pump in a 3g resevoir. i add all my supplements to the resevoir and it lasts about 1 week. it tops off once every hour,and i gotta say its made top

off so much easeir on me and my inhabitants. cuz honestly i would forget alot and by that time my salinity would

have jumped from .25 to .28 in less than a day. now i litteraly have no fluctuation!!! just make sure to clean your floatswitches from time to time.

i add spring water/

i used to buy water from the pet shop....very expensive

then i started to by water from petco...about 7 bucks for 2 gallons...what a rip

then i figured i would start using regular spring water since it doesn't have chlorine.

i haven't had any problems and it is soooo easy

i go through about 1.5 gallons a week in a 24g aquapod with two additionl fans

i can't see a need to buy more equipment..since i am always looking at the fish I am right there to top off

7 bucks for two gallons is a rip!!!!!!! at my LFS its .25per g of ro/di and .75 for ro/sw premix. i make sure to bring my two (5g) jugs when i go. im getting ready to convert my 110g fw over to sw reef. lugging water from the fish store isnt going to cut it anymore , im going to have to get an ro/unit.

• 2 weeks later...
lil'wrasse cool

I did the real getto one. Cost me not a thing I had everything I needed to make... I know wow...I will buy a aftermarket cup holder for cars to clip on the tank to try to hide the bottle. I will make the syphion hose into a drain incace of back filling. I have the drip set a 1drip/5secs keeps the tank at the same hight all day, refill every morning and about 3/4 of the bottle is used in 24 hours.

IMG_1815.jpg

I just ordered the Tunze Osmolator 3155 from Marine depot (good price of $175 shipped). It comes tommorow. I will use a 5 gallon bucket to contain RO water, and finally I will be able to take a week off if I please from topping off.

TZ4111_1.jpg

Edited by kappa
I did the real getto one. Cost me not a thing I had everything I needed to make... I know wow...I will buy a aftermarket cup holder for cars to clip on the tank to try to hide the bottle. I will make the syphion hose into a drain incace of back filling. I have the drip set a 1drip/5secs keeps the tank at the same hight all day, refill every morning and about 3/4 of the bottle is used in 24 hours.

IMG_1815.jpg

Hey I like this set-up, can you elaborate a little more? I want to try this out at home on my 20-gallon

• 3 weeks later...
lil'wrasse cool

All you do is drill 2 holes in a cap of a bottle and put one short air line and one air line that will go from the bottle to the tank. Make sure its a good tight fit. On the long one add a air valve so that you can control the drips. Thats the construction of it....

Once you put water in it blow in to the short one to get the water to flow into the long hose. Then set the drip to match you evap rate... You can do the calc. but Id start off with 1 drip evey 2 secs and adjust from there... My evap is about 1 drip every 6-7 secs. Mark a line on you tank or sump to see if the drip rate is to high or to low...

Thats all I can think of pm me if you cant get her going...

• 7 months later...
person1000000

By hand and imm to broke to get something to auto top of my tank and my evaporations varies all the time so i just add fresh water to make up for that

• 2 months later...
CorvetteJoe

Every other day, but it usually takes all afternoon/evening to do.

1 - Open gallon of distilled water

2 - Open lid to tank

3 - Pour in water

4 - Test with swing arm

5 - Adjust with more fresh or salt water

6 - Retest with swing arm

7 - Close lid

8 - clean swing arm

9 - toss empty jug in trash

10 - watch wife dig through trash and yell "THIS IS RECYCLABLE!"

11 - say "so?"

12 - Get yelled at some more because she had to dig through trash to pull out recyclable stuff

13 - have to make up something about how sorry I am for making her dig through trash

14 - make fun of recycling since all recycled items cost more than raw material items

15 - Feel bad for making wife dig through trash, so I cook her a nice dinner

16 - But I forget and throw away the tin cans and plastic containers I emptied out of the fridge

17 - get yelled at some more for not washing the empty tin cans from the food I cooked

18 - tell her that I am not wasting water to wash garbage

19 - complain to her about how her FOUR recycle bins take up 1/2 my garage space

20 - Listen to her say "well most of that is because of your distilled water jugs from your fish tank!"

21 - say THATS IT WERE BUYING AN RO/DI MACHINE!

j/k its not that bad ;)

• 2 months later...