Cultivated Reef

How do you "top-off" your nano reef?

Christopher Marks

I do it by hand, mostly in the morning and at night, if I'm around to do that. I'd love to get an auto-topoff system, but I'm not sure if i'll get that before I add a sump. I'd rather not have the float switch in the main tank.

My 2.5G doesn't need top-off more than every other week, so I do it whenever it looks low. My glass lid helps a whole lot for evaporation prevention.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to mention that they all have "auto-top off's" but nobody metions which one they have or if they made it themselves.. that is the information this thread really needs...

I use a float switch, battery powered air pump and two 2 liter bottles linked together. It's a nice piece of mind knowing that during these dry winter months the odds of my sump pump running dry while I'm at work are greatly reduced. Until I put a cover on my sump I would go through a 2 liter a day!

Mine is soe one of a DIYer. I have a maxi-jet 900 that pumps the water in when the floatswitch gets low. Salty Dawg made the snail gaurd and bracket for the float switch.

I am considering taking on this project this weekend. Where whould i obtain this siad "Float Switch" I think i can manage getting the rest of it together.

i used to have a float switch untill the damn thing stuck and flooded my kitchen. now i dont trust the thing. it still does my topoffs though when i plug it in