Photo

How were you first introduced to nano reefs?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Shaz

Shaz

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • Joined 06 Aug 2004

I was actually on www.fishprofiles.com and I was in the chat... At the time I was doing freshwater aquriums, but when someone in the chat was talking about this website, I went to it, and I knew what my new hooby was ;)

bikinibottom

bikinibottom

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Joined 05 Dec 2004
My boyfriend knew I was interested in saltwater tanks, so he bought me a nano for Hanukkah to get me started. He showed me this website.

sdbeazley

sdbeazley

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 31 Dec 2003
  • Melbourne, FL
www.cichlid-forum.com It was in the other fish forum lol

BKtomodachi

BKtomodachi

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

• Members
  • 18,517 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2004
  • Michigan
I usually spend time on www.tropicalresources.net becuase it has everything along with lots of respected folks...

But I'd kept freshwater for the longest time, and bigger SW tanks were expensive and not terribly interesting...

#### got real, yo.

q8ww2IO.png

SLOreefer

SLOreefer

BBBBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

• Members
  • 2,575 posts
  • Joined 07 Apr 2002
  • Hayward, Ca
i worked for an lfs and never really saw a nano. we had a 750 gallon and a 300 at the store that i worked on and maintained so i figured i could do it on a small scale. this was when everyone said it couldnt be done. i dont think this website existed because i couldnt find anything on small reef tanks on the web. custom sealife jsut came out with the 32w retro and i saw it fit into the stock minibow hood. it was on from there, that was over 6 years ago
"The object to life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, with a big smile shouting, "Holy s#!t ...what a ride!"

Check out my 15 gallon with 4x24w hot5's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169184

davinaster

davinaster

Awww...

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • Joined 09 Dec 2004
My husband had been doing research for his 75 gallon discus tank (which turned out to be a 75 gallon Lake Malawi cichild tank lol) In passing he said, "They've got this thing called 'nano reefs'. You should check it out." Three days later I'd purchased my equipment :D

(He won't admit it, but my husband is insanely jealous that my bitsy 5.5g nano outshines his dream tank lol)

belamy

belamy

don't beg

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2002
my wife wanted a cute clownfish and an anemone.... i read books and articles, saw this site, and told her "honey we can get the clownfish but not the anemone...how about a xenia?"

bigbenji

bigbenji

where my money goes

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 06 Nov 2004
somehow how I googled something like, small saltwater, or maybe nano saltwater, and here I am

recoverym

recoverym

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2005
I wanted to create my own Micro-Universe, researched all areas of reference and decided a NanoCube was an easy start. Came across Nano-reef.com in my research. Alot of very intellegent, friendly, helpful members to call upon if a problem devolops. Its a challange, but the rewards are great. Always something new to deal with. Always something new to see in the tank.

coyoteseven

coyoteseven

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30 Apr 2004
Saw many mention this site on ReefCentral.

aquaman7

aquaman7

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Joined 07 Aug 2004
  • Cincinnati
ya...just like bigbenji...i must have searched for "small saltwater tank" or somthing like that on a search engine and got to nano-reef...and well i guess that was my intro to nanos
aquaman7

ccjung

ccjung

nanocustoms.com

• Premium Members
  • 2,336 posts
  • Joined 08 Sep 2004
My grandfather was on his last weeks with his battle with lung cancer. We took him to the aquarium of the Pacific, and I was touched by how much enjoyment a dying man got from watching the fish. I started up my nano with the hopes of setting it up for him, but time ran out.

Kinda funny how the road of life takes you down unexpected twists and turns. As the CEO of my own little software firm, I had some extra time on my hands, and boom.. Nanocustoms.com was born.

This is definately an addiction.

WREKDYVR

WREKDYVR

The podfather

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2005
My fiance and I were bouncing around on the net pricing stuff for a 75 gallon freshwater setup. We found Petsolutions website and saw the JBJ nano cube, at which point we became interested in a reef tank. I've kept marine fish before, had a 30L fowdcs ( fish only with dead coral skeletons) but never a reef tank. After a few more google searches on the nanocube we found this site. It's been full speed ahead ever since. We now have a 30g oceanic cube, 175 watt mh lighting that should be up and running in a month. Sometimes I think she's more into it than me, she even bought me a book on marine inverbrates for Valentines day.

WREKDYVR

WREKDYVR

The podfather

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2005
ccjung, I think we were posting at the same time. Sorry for your loss.

skabooya

skabooya

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Joined 07 Mar 2005
  • BC, Canada
It was quite a few years ago i wanted to start a reef but didnt have the money so i was wondering if i could start a small one and the research has been going on from then. This site is just the best that i have ever seen on small reef tanks (Nano).

Dolfan0925

Dolfan0925

reefaholics anonymous

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 23 Apr 2004
Is it just me or are half of the people on this thread answering how they got into nano reefs, and the other half answering how they found this site. I voted other on how I got into nano reefs, just because I just wanted a saltwater tank, and I didn't wanna spend $600 and find out I didn't like it. So I went cheap and slowly went more expensive as I liked it more. How I found nano-reef.com was from a pm from a friend of mine in our local club's forum.

afiser

afiser

/ THAT IS ME =)/

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Joined 04 Oct 2004
my bro got me into reefs

kappa

kappa

THE SYSTEM

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • Joined 12 May 2004
  • Huntington Beach
I like fishy, and my gf knew I did. She took me to a fish store, and we bought a Nano Cube.

M.Arowana

M.Arowana

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 02 Jul 2005
I was an "other." I had a nano-reef thrust upon me on my b-day. My pockets are empty but life is rich.

RoOk_Reef

RoOk_Reef

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 20 Jul 2004
  • los angeles
I started off with asian arowanas, but then it got boring and I couldn't do much but feed them, then I saw a nano cube at a LFS and was amazed

zach987

zach987

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23 Sep 2003
my wife made me make her one, " baby, set me up a tank like that " its thoes darn eyes

dja1980

dja1980

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 08 Apr 2004
That "Marine Aquarium" ScreenSaver from Seren Screen got me. My boss had a copy of it and he let me load it onto my office computer. That was probably the worst move he could have made. I spent more time staring at my stupid monitor than actually doing my work. After a few days, I knew I had to have a real reef.

cackalufabogus

cackalufabogus

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 05 Aug 2005
I had a small tank laying around and thought "that'd make a cute little marine tank" Then someone mentioned it was called a nano reef and I googled :)

supernip

supernip

The fairest of them all

• Members
  • 15,611 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2002
saw a mandarin. but gil's xenia inspired me to be an annoying reefer

junglist

junglist

head reefer

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 30 Jul 2005
have had a bunch of larger tanks. cost and space got me into the nano.