Pod Your Reef

29gal external overflow and sump DIY - lots of pics

impur

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well got my fuge plumbed in this weekend. It was an odd experience because it went very smoothly and i had no leaks. That NEVER happens. I did have a minor flood, about a gallon of water on the carpet. Thats a usual thing though. Its lite by a 20w daylight PC bulb in a cliplamp. I got 8 lbs of sand from Sean, some LR and a small bunch of cheato. 6 beers and 2 hrs later (basketball kept me occupied as well) here is what we have:

Start off with an updated shot of the tank. All is well except a small hair algae outbreak on the sand. It seems my alk was a bit low but i have since raised it and am now dripping kalk at night:

P3260008.jpg

P3260009.jpg

This is the empty fuge with bulkhead installed:

P3260010.jpg

Elbow for drain. Used my dremel and a cutting disc to cut the teeth:

P3260012.jpg

Very nice set up you got there.Just wanna ask how you gonna deal with keeping micro bubbles from entering the sump? I just built a sump and can't figure out how to keep the bubbles out of the sump without using any foam pad or filter sox so pods can enter the sump from the main tank.

Well i have a small MB problem. It has gotten much better now that its been running for a few weeks. I had been using filter socks on the drains and a sponge on the intake of the return pump. Now that i have the fuge, i don't have a filter sock on the fuge drain and am not getting any bubbles from that drain :D The main drain from the tank has a bunch of holes i drilled in it right at the water level in the sump. Seems to work pretty well at letting the air out before it goes into the water. I am going in on that group buy for OM super squirt so i will see how things go once that is plumbed in. I think the bulk of the bubbles are from the scwd now. Hopefully i can position the pump so it won't suck any bubbles cause from the waterfall over the last baffle. We will see.

How long has your tank been setup? Might just need some more time to build up a little slime in the drains.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick question; on a setup like that, where is evaporation noticeable, on the tank or on the sump? Where would one place the float switch to control the water level?

• 4 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived