inTank Media Baskets

1/6/05 Upgrading your aquarium

Christopher Marks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26g. to a 40g. Big, but not to big and easy to maintain. Once I finish college i would like to set up a 60 g cube or maybe I should just admit that this hobby isn't gonna go away and go for the 90 cube.

I changed some of the filtration on my aquaclears. I added some more charcoal and took out the macro algae to see what differences occur. I am also looking at a new bulb for my coralife 96 watt fixture. But still haven't made up my mind.

I went from an orignal Nano Cube 12g, to a Via Aqua 11g, and although its not a big downgrad I am happier. The Nano cube is still running fine, but I like the look of the Via Aqua, its very nicely designed. However, I am upgrading to a 90g tank soon, I want to keep some Angels, and Tangs in a large enviroment that's more stable and has a closed loop system with fuge, and sump, etc... try the big tank thing out. B)

I went from a 20H to a 90 gallon. THen I realized that the 90 was too big for my funding, and downgraded to my current 55. Once I graduate and I feel I've settled into a house that I'll live in for a good while I'll upgrade to a 180, and then if I ever outgrow that tank I'll go for a 48"x48"x30" cubish tank :D

Angel Higuera

I plan on up grading FROM the following equipment/tank, to the following equipment/tank:

Prizm skimmer-------->Aqua C Remora or BAK PAK 2R (already have the BAK PAK and might sell it)

130w PC----------->250 w MH Ocean Light

Acura heater------>Ebo or Titanium w/ digital display

AC500 fuge------>Aquafuge PRO sump/fuge

20H AGA-------> 40G Via Aqua or 37G Oceanic cube

Just upgraded from a 29 hob to 29 drilled with sump and refugium. Added better lights and better skimmer. I am sooooo much happier with the look, no crap hanging in the tank, much cleaner look and so much more flow.

Started with my 10 gallon reef which I had for 2 years completely stocked until it crashed due to my errors. During that time I got into coral propagation and had a 20 gallon rubbermaid and the 10 in my dorm room at Cal Poly. Then That summer I decided to upgrade to a larger scale propagation system for my house in Diamond Bar: 2 20longs, 15 gallon sump fuge. After the 10 gallon crashed in September I took a break and just sold corals from the prop system. Now I have the 3.5 gallon Truvu lit by a 20k 70w Halide. It keeps me satisfied and feeds my addiction.

I upgraded my office 2.5 to a minibow 7, because my employees kept urging me to upsize and also because I wanted higher quality lighting (I had 2x13w Bayco w/50-50s in the 2.5, and now there's 2x32w with better reflectors). The minibow has been up six months now and everything is growing like crazy! So now I think it's time for a 20 Long at home! I will always keep the minibow 7 no matter what -- it's such an awesome tank, though maybe a 70w MH is the next step???

I must be an oddball, but im "downgrading" not really, but I have a large reef, and I have been researching nano reef's. some of the most beutiful reefs I have seen are nano's, so Im really looking forward to starting my own. plus now I wil be able to keep a tank in my bedroom.

I think maybe i have the oddist up grade here i went from a 55gal fresh water cichlid tank with aqua clear filter, to starting a 55 salt water reef tank with a eheim pro 2 canister filter, right now for the cycling, for the dramatic change it has gone through Im using two very nice blue fin damsels and one lemon damsel with live sand and 40lbs of live rock (letting it cycle a long time and then adding corals) ive always been in to all kinds of fish and I scuba dive and have a degree in marine science but im just getting back into keeping salt water aquariums agian after a long time of just haveing fresh and brackish tanks. My next project is going to be doing a 10 gal hex with just sea horses.

I upgraded from a 15 gallon to a 24*24*18 cube tank, I went from 166 watts of PC lighting on the 15 to a 250 watt 14k DE HQI on the cube. I am now going to set up my "dream nano" setup, with an old aquaclear 500, my 2*28 watt PC setup, and some custom styrofoam/concrete arches and rocks that I made in the tank!

All I have to say is if you want to have a below the tank sump or refugium, install it before you have water and live rock in the display tank. It saves some hassle. And you don't have to spend hours working on getting the rocks just how you want them in the tank twice!

• 2 weeks later...

Went from 2.5 gallon to AGA 65 gallon RR. I simply wanted to keep fish, I had a 3 ft section of wall next to my desk and that was the largest standard 3ft tank available. To do over, I'm not sure I would have done 24inches high, that is a long way down and it's too high to be able to reach in without elevating yourself first. Other than that, I love it! I did a Tek T-5 retro and love the results I'm getting on my softies, LPS, and Clams! Good luck to all of you in your reefing!

-Eric aka Calvin415

BKtomodachi

Started with ten, still have it but with 5 gal sump now.

Upgrading to 25-30 either in a few weeks or about 6 months.

Started with a 20 gallon featuring a Red Sea Prizm skimmer, Aqua Clear 300, 2 20w t8 bulbs, and 2 Maxi-jet 400's, then decided that was not enough so I upgraded the tank size and beefed up the equipment. The tank size now is a 29 gallon featuring a 10 gallon sump/refegium, Aqua C Urchin skimmer, Mag-Drive 500, CPR 300 GPH Over-flow, and a Maxi-jet 1200 for over-flow. Lights were also upgraded to 2 20w t8 actinic blues and 2 20w intense whites. I’m still using my other Maxi-Jet 400's. Over all I am very pleased with the turnout.

• 2 weeks later...

-> 2.5gal "pico" not enough room, and dangit I wanted fishies!

--> 6gal Eclipse monster. Too much evaporation, looked too Frankenstein, almost caught the house on fire becasue of exposed bulb/connector. Too hot etc., etc., etc....

---> 16gal bow. Seems plenty for now! I keep wanting to add a sump, just because I've never had one before. I would like to make a "multi-tank" where there are two 5gal's flanking a 2.5g fuge. Or maybe a lava lamp pico w/ fuge/sump... hmm...

i can't count the number of tmes i've upgrades. the only think i haven't up graded is my fuge. i guess i got that right the first time. now i've just gone to buying exactly what i want and give up on dyi'ing my stuff. i do not have the means to do so in my doorm. i fugre i've dropped 2~3 grand in upgrades. not the last thing i want to upgrade is my skimmer i want to make it an hob style. mine takes up alot of space in my fuge..

Archived