Innovative Marine Aquariums

Uneaten food OK in QT? Royal Gramma

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

I added a Royal Gramma to my 10g QT yesterday, today he is starting to come out after hiding all of yesterday,

I have attempted to feed brine + spirulina but he doesnt seem interested yet. He's still pretty skiddish, just not as bad as yesterday.

My guess is he is not yet eating.

How soon should i syringe out the uneaten brine shrimp? I was thinking maybe the mere presence of food might be calming but dont want to overdo it and cause a premature ammonia spike due to uneaten food.

If I leave the shimp in there, does a Gramma eat off the bottom sorta, or do I need to have that food suspended in the water so he'll pick at it? Not had one before.

I dont know about eating habits of gramma, but I wouldn't let it sit long in there IMO. if its unmedicated you can put a couple hermits in there.

I have had the best luck with getting picky eaters to eat mysis soaked in selco boost. I havent had a lot of fish interested in brine shrimp.

I added a Royal Gramma to my 10g QT yesterday, today he is starting to come out after hiding all of yesterday,

I have attempted to feed brine + spirulina but he doesnt seem interested yet. He's still pretty skiddish, just not as bad as yesterday.

My guess is he is not yet eating.

How soon should i syringe out the uneaten brine shrimp? I was thinking maybe the mere presence of food might be calming but dont want to overdo it and cause a premature ammonia spike due to uneaten food.

If I leave the shimp in there, does a Gramma eat off the bottom sorta, or do I need to have that food suspended in the water so he'll pick at it? Not had one before.

As you know, anything bad will go worst faster in a small tanks. I would not leave any uneaten food. Give it fresh food all the time if you want to feed it. The last thing you want to happen is to kill it with ammonia spike (been there done that here).

burtbollinger

pull after 30-60 min max. powerhead that keeps it suspended would be better. good luck.

will do, running a heater, an aqua clear, and marine pure, no powerhead. will dice some mysis next feeding.

Okinawa_Reefer

I agree with everyone on pulling the food. My royal gramma spent his first three days in hiding. On the third day he came out of hiding to eat (mysis shrimp) and went straight back to hiding. I think it lasted about a week and a half before he was out and about swimming.

Archived