Coral Vue Hydros

Cycling Help

tommygun

Hey guys,

I just started cycling my Reefer 170 for about 1 week. I initially dosed dr tim's bacteria and then have been dosing microbacter7 daily. I have a skimmer and doing fishless cycle so I dosed dr tim's ammonia. Question is do I have add more ammonia to continue this cycling process and do my parameters look like I'm on track? Help will be much appreciated!

Ammonia = 0.5-1.0

Nitrite = 5.0

Nitrate = 40

PH = 7.8 (this is lower than I'd like, I ordered Seachem Reef Buffer to bring it up so I don't have to do a water change which could stall the cycle)

SelectedByNature

I believe what is normally suggested if dosing ammonia is to bring it up to 3 PPM and test parameters.

You want that amount of ammonia to go from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate in 24 hours.

Nitrite = 5.0

"IMPORTANT – Do not let the ammonia OR nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm." I'd do a water change to bring nitrite down. Then let it get down to 0.2 ppm before adding any more ammonium (per the instructions). Nitrite above 5 ppm will do more to slow the cycle than a water change will.

PH = 7.8 (this is lower than I'd like, I ordered Seachem Reef Buffer to bring it up so I don't have to do a water change which could stall the cycle)

The pH is depressed because of the cycle. Don't worry about it. I agree with Clown79 about pH buffers not being needed.

"IMPORTANT – Do not let the ammonia OR nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm." I'd do a water change to bring nitrite down. Then let it get down to 0.2 ppm before adding any more ammonium (per the instructions). Nitrite above 5 ppm will do more to slow the cycle than a water change will.

The pH is depressed because of the cycle. Don't worry about it. I agree with Clown79 about pH buffers not being needed.

I see..thanks guys!

Archived