Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Gloves  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

• Yes, always.
    • No, never.
    • Only sometimes. (Explain Below)

i too havent used any gloves up to this point, just pre and post wash. It does burn when u have a cut that is for sure.

One time i did have my hand in the tank though and i rubbed it against some of my LR and sure enough a hour later my hand started to burn, then my arm. all those wonderful sensations went away after a couple hours though.

like everyone says though, it is hard to handle stuff/feel it w your fingers when u have a glove on your hand.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear gloves, cheapies from Walgreen's.

My LFS has a nasty infection that is affecting his entire arm. I have heard a few horror stories about weird infections from reef tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

flickj79> "i never wear gloves my hands are as tough as nails, i work at a lumber yard no stinkin animal can hurt me and i am immune to bacteria "

that sounds stupid (immune to bacteria) but it can kinda be true... My dad works for severn trent, and in his earlier days as he was around the sewerage plants he was ill on and off for a good year, now he's very rarely ill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i use Acrylic Chop sticks...

+1 for the asians. =)

every LFS iv seen dont use gloves. all bare hands obviously they dont use hands to catch the fishes though...

but that would be crazy to watch. (lighting fast hands that scoops out fishes in seconds.)

I use the long purple/orange Coralife aqua gloves every time!

Otherwise my male clown bites me and he has drawn blood in the past

thump him.

thump him.

He is not scared of anything. The little fish is crazy for sure.

It's no big deal anyways. With this small body of water its a good idea to wear gloves anyways!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never used gloves, but really should...one thing I have learned from some of the best reefers around here...keep your hands out the tank as much as possible...

-David

I use the long purple/orange Coralife aqua gloves every time!

Otherwise my male clown bites me and he has drawn blood in the past

You need to show him who is boss.

Only when I handle zoanthids and I just use latex surgical gloves.

Aren't these covered with a thin layer of talc to prevent them from wrinkling and sticking together?

I'm not sure this is good for aquaria :unsure:

BTW, no gloves for me.

Militant Jurist

I started wearing recently, but only when cleaning or moving things around. When I'm feeding, my hand will make it into the tank, but no where near the corals, since I use a small pipette.

Archived