Pod Your Reef

Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Gloves  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

• Yes, always.
    • No, never.
    • Only sometimes. (Explain Below)

Ya know, I want some of those long full arm kind. Now that my tank is maturing, all these bugs in the water make me want to vomit. I hate bugs. I know copepods and such are good, but I don't want them on my skin. Gross.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I strongly recommend wearing gloves while working in the aquarium. I have a disease I have been fighting for 3 years now since working at an aquarium. Its basicly a build up of bacteria that is harvesting under the skin where the fingernail root meets skin. The more your hand is in water the more prone to getting it. I take antibiotic pills, and antibiotic topical creams daily, and its an on going struggle to keep from spreading. I forgot the name but its not uncommon in the fish industry.

Dude, did you get that for placing your hand in the water? I think im going to start wearing them, not because of what you just said but because everytime I place my hand in there my bi color blenny takes nips at me. It's starting to anoy me. That way I wont feel the bites. Haha.

Originally posted by flickj79

i never wear gloves my hands are as tough as nails, i work at a lumber yard no stinkin animal can hurt me and i am immune to bacteria

Hahahaha...flickj79 vs. mantis shrimp, round one.

--B

Meercat_Maric

Does this poll ever go away?? Where the heck is a the new one?? I feel as though i'm in the twilight zone reading the same poop all day long!!

GOD, someone post something else....

8)

• 1 year later...

Why use gloves? I like to FEEL the PAIN of my bristleworms. Besides, my queen trigger would just bite through the glove to give me my weekly loving. :wub: Then I would have to worry about her taking the eternal sand nap from trying to digest latex. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a hard enough time feeling anything without gloves on, I don't know how you could do anything in the tank with them on. Do people who use them really like them?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
CorvetteJoe

I dont use anything.

I usually just jump in nekkid

OH wait, were talking about the fish tank!! :o

I just make sure my hands dont have anything recently contaminating on them.

If I just washed my hands, I usually wait a little bit, then rinse off with water again before putting them in the tanks.

never had any issues.

Archived