Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Gloves  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

• Yes, always.
    • No, never.
    • Only sometimes. (Explain Below)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised at these answers! You should ALWAYS wear gloves, every time, no exceptions. Not only is it unhealthy for your inhabitants, but a lot of people, myself included, have been rushed to a nearby emergency room for getting poked by "something" in their tank.

I bet you'll all be wearing gloves after it happens to you once, either that or selling your aquariums.

For shame! For shame! You're naughty little reefers!

No gloves here. Anything I'd be affraid of would go through a latex glove...

Question, if your worried about toxins in the water wouldn't you need something that covers farther up than a latex glove? Maybe I'm not thinking of the right type of latex glove...

Exactly what kind of gloves do people use? I'm new to saltwater and I just finished aquascaping my tank last weekend, got a few cuts and scrapes, no sign of infection thank god. However I have see a bad case where a fellow hobbyist lost partial movement in her arm from an infection she got while working on her tanks.

Now besides infections from cuts, what other dangers are there? I certainly don't want to pull my hand out to find a worm dangling from it... I guess you guys use thick gloves?

Thanks

Giancarlo

• 2 weeks later...

i think that gloves should always be worn just because you never know what could happen. i'm even thinking about getting some sort of extra long tweezers or something so i keep my hands out of my tank as much as possible. i was freeked out by a rather long bristle worm that attempted to crawl up my arm as i moved the rock that he was under.

err i wouldn't go with the 'extra long tweezers'. It could damage things in your tank. Hands are much more safe for your tank, but be sure that you wear those elasticy ones so that the water cant go over the top of the glove like mine does.. I need some proper ones.

I try to stick with using tongs for everything...but if I need a little more 'oomph' to move a whole rock or something, I will spy it out to see how clean it is and free from buggers. If it is pretty safe looking (I wont hurt anything and it wont hurt me) I will reach in...otherwise I get out the coralife gloves.

I put on gloves almost every time I put my hands into the tank. Both because I dont what what ever is on my hands getting into the water, and I dont want what is in the water getting into my hands. I found this one nice pair of nertile long cuff gloves that I have been used for about a year now with my 2.5 gallon, they are long enough that I can put my hand as far in as it will fit and not get water in the glove. When messing around in the 15 gallon I put on the glove and then a ruberband at the cuff to keep the water out, it works quite well and I would recomend it.

Jerome

never used gloves...all my bristleworms would go right through them anyways. as far as infection....just wash your hands with hot water afterwards to clean it out, and denature the proteins in the bristleworm or zoo toxin.

yup, I just proved that gloves go on any time. I had just gotten an order of frags the other day and last night I saw my ric flipped over I reached in just to flip him back(damn snails). Then I felt tingling then burning in my index finger. I turned my hand over and found a bright red hairy worm munching on my digit like he had a finger fetish. I cried like a sissy and soaked my had in windex and warm water. F**in animal...DIE!!!! I grabbed some joes juice and smothered him in it. Maybe atleast he felt uncomfortable..yeah right. sucker!

Meercat_Maric

Gloves?? Yea right, come on guys.

The maintenance checklist is long enough without having to remember to put gloves on. The day I remember gloves would be the day I forget and dump one of my ammonia testing tubes back into the tank, then I wouldn't need gloves now would I. :|

I'll think about gloves when I upgrade to lion fish or morrays!

:D

i think it's a good idea when you're doing propigating just because the coral is getting cut open and spilling its juices all over the place. its probably at this time that they release the most toxins as well. yeah, i needa get around to doing that more often... hmm... to glove or not to glove?

Only time I ever where gloves is if I have an open wound, most corals with the exception of leathers can give you some pretty emmense pain and infections in an open cut...

I have had previous run in's with hammers, an elagence and a few different other lps...

So heed my warning...

also, some people have allergic reactions to corals, and sadly the only way to find out if you are allergic is to get stung... BE CAREFULL!!!

:)

• Like 1
Originally posted by TJ_Burton

have had previous run in's with hammers, an elagence and a few different other lps...

Seriously, I reached back behind my elegance to grab an overturned snail and wham... just got lucky that it twisted toward me, almost like it wanted some of my hand. I had little white dots from burns all over my hand where the stingers got me.

Archived