inTank Media Baskets

Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Gloves  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working in your aquarium?

• Yes, always.
    • No, never.
    • Only sometimes. (Explain Below)

you only need shine a flashlight into a mature tank at night and you will never look at live rock the same way again... gloves when touching any rock or livestock

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont be a pansy, I pick bristle worm needles out of my hands with tweezers every night.

That being said, tons of crap does come off you hands, take a cup of RO water for instance, with a 0 reading on the TDS meter. Stick your fingers in there and rub them again each other for a sec and then check the TDS again.....Youl will really scrub your hands well before tank dips after that!

I try to keep my hands out of the tank. I use those awful Coralife arm-length gloves to move rock, and powder free latex gloves for fragging stuff. For moving small stuff around in the tank, I use tongs. I do put my fingertips in the water once a day to give my tang & foxface their algae sheet (in my 90, not a nano!).

edit to add: It seems that no matter how well I clean my hands, if they are in the tank for more than 20 seconds or so without gloves, the foam level in my skimmer drops, which is reason enough for me to keep my bare hands out.

I quit worrying about what I have to worry about in the tank, and wear nitrile safe gloves whenever my hands are in the tank or sump.. I'm not a big fan of fireworms, and have tons of the good lil creatures, while they're pretty cool to look at, pulling the bristles out your fingers... isn't. My clown HATES the gloves though, and defends with all it's might... given that it's 3" and it's drawn blood before(not much, but has), I figured I might as well protect myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Only when I handle zoanthids and I just use latex surgical gloves.

These are ok to use? I was worried about polluting the tank.

After reading about that poor guy with the damaged thumb I think I'll start wearing gloves

Phil

TheMasterReefer

I have poked my finger on something in my tank causing an infection to the point I almost lost a finger, seriously.

Do I wear gloves now? No. :o

I have poked my finger on something in my tank causing an infection to the point I almost lost a finger, seriously.

Do I wear gloves now? No. :o

Story ??

I always wear gloves these days... Good thing too!

Was moving some coral a round a few minuets ago when something thwacked my thumb. Fish and shrimp were on the other side of the tank at the time. Absolutely no idea what it was, but I'm glad I had a thick glove on...

TheMasterReefer
Story ??

To make a long story short I poked my finger on something in the tank (obviously), cleaned it off as it was just a little poke and continued to work in the tank. About 2 days later my finger was black and blue and you could see the infection moving up my hand into my arm. Decided to go to the hospital and they gave me some steroids and a months worth of antibiotics to kill the infection and ensure it didn't return. Not fun.

I sliced my finger open once on a freakin' web-spinning snail thingie. Those things are razor sharp! I hate them like a meth-head hates the dentist.

Do I wear gloves, not usually. I have some 10" long surgical forceps for moving most stuff. I wear powder-free latex gloves if I have a piece out fragging it or something.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd bring this thread into the next decade. By the way, I never wear gloves. Though I have pretty thick skin and I'm allergic to nothing. I've got a pretty good immune system. Put my arm in a bush of poison oak, nothing happened. Had hammer coral stick its tentacles on my hand many times, no stings. Last time a paper wasp stung me, it didn't hurt or swell up. I'm gonna see if a bristleworm hurts, and if it doesn't then I'm going to Vegas. Probably a way to make money off of it.

• 2 years later...

New to the salty life and I'm not hesitant to stick my hands in my tank .

My sister works at a doctors clinic and they sit around watching Monster Inside me on Animal Planet.

She tried to freak me out about an story about a young girl that wouldn't keep her hands out of her parents saltwater tank. She cut her hand on some live rock and almost died! haha now I'm rethinking my stance on gloves and I'm about to order some of those coral life gloves.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/monsters-inside-me

I am definitely going with gloves here.

Especially in the winter - my hands are so dry they crack and bleed (sorry for that picture everyone) So ya gloves it is.

• 4 months later...

Archived