ReefCleaners.org

Overwhelmed....

Cscultho

I'm planning my new Sea Reefer 170 tank and Im not sure what light to purchase?! I plan to have both sps & lps coral but not sure which direction to go!! I want to ensure i have enough light to support the life but yet not go crazy spending tons of money.....So much information and Im now more confused...

Tank dimensions are:

24.5" x 20" x 20"

burtbollinger

I have this tank and spent months researching. For price & quality and proper coverage....:

Nanobox Duo M with 15" Gooseneck or AI Hydra 26.

I got to see both lights in person on multiple occasions.

I plan to have both sps & lps coral but not sure which direction to go!! I want to ensure i have enough light to support the life.

Youre planning LPS and SPS, then the light is gonna cost you money. Your tank and stand was $1000...hate to say it, but sorry...It's time to drop 400-500 on the light.

OR, If you don't mind some side shading, get slightly creative with coral placement, and wanted to settle, then I'd go with the AI Prime HD. (settling on lights is a bad idea)

I went with the Nanobox Duo M...would have gotten the Hydra 26 if not. Extremely happy with the look and quality of the light.

This hobby is light and water. Do it right. Get a good light and get an RO/DI. Spend money on the fancy corals later.

I have this tank and spent months researching. For price & quality and proper coverage....:

Nanobox Duo M with 15" Gooseneck or AI Hydra 26.

I got to see both lights in person on multiple occasions.

Youre planning LPS and SPS, then the light is gonna cost you money. Your tank and stand was $1000...hate to say it, but sorry...It's time to drop 400-500 on the light.

OR, If you don't mind some side shading, get slightly creative with coral placement, and wanted to settle, then I'd go with the AI Prime HD. (settling on lights is a bad idea)

I went with the Nanobox Duo M...would have gotten the Hydra 26 if not. Extremely happy with the look and quality of the light.

This hobby is light and water. Do it right. Get a good light and get an RO/DI. Spend money on the fancy corals later.

This. No sense in getting a super fancy tank like that and sticking a dinky light over it. I would recommend one of the hydra 26's or a 52 if you can spring it.

My IM Fusion 20 is also 24" wide. Started out with one fixture (Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue). It did not reach out to the edges as well as I would have liked. Polyps started reaching, etc. Sold fixture and replaced with Radion XR30W. Regardless of budget, make sure to have two points of light to cover that wide spread.

Just my .02

Out of all the fixtures recommended, which one is a single ballast? I only want to have one light over my tank rather than having 2 separate lights to fill the tank with the light spectrum?

Ive recently upgraded to reefer 170, I have standard ai prime from my previous 20g tank, I have everything from discosomas, favias, montipora, acropora, styos. All growing well.

After reading this topic, I may need to upgrade at some point. If I tilt the light slightly, 1/3 of the tank does go pretty dark, Its probably stretching to absolute maximum coverage it can handle...

In my opinion you;re going to want a hybrid LED T5 light unless you plan to stay away from acros. Nanobox in all cases, one of the Nanobox ATI hybrids is the best of both worlds.

Ive recently upgraded to reefer 170, I have standard ai prime from my previous 20g tank, I have everything from discosomas, favias, montipora, acropora, styos. All growing well.

After reading this topic, I may need to upgrade at some point. If I tilt the light slightly, 1/3 of the tank does go pretty dark, Its probably stretching to absolute maximum coverage it can handle...

Good to know! thanks for the info.

Out of all the fixtures recommended, which one is a single ballast? I only want to have one light over my tank rather than having 2 separate lights to fill the tank with the light spectrum?

There are a ton of units out there that will work for this tank. I currently have the same tank setup now and run a Quad. I make these so I will be partial but here are a few good options. Just remember some are manual dimming, some WIFI, mounts included/not, etc.

NanoBox Duo

NanoBox Quad

Ecotech XR30

Kessil 360

Sun power - Hanging only

This forum is loaded with tanks to ohh and aww after. Do a search and see what looks good for you!

-Dave

I have a NanoBox Duo plus M over a Reefer Nano and it illuminates it really well. It would work well on a 170 too. A Wide Quad would be even better! I also like the Giesemann Vervve and the Mitras offerings. Be prepared to drop some coin however you decide to go.

burtbollinger

are the gooseneck's for the nano strong enough to hold the fixture without sagging over time?

yes. zero issues there.

Nanobox Duo M is what I'd get for the Reefer 170. IMO, quad is overkill, if you trying to keep costs down

There are a ton of units out there that will work for this tank. I currently have the same tank setup now and run a Quad.

Pics :)

I have an ai over 24" tank. No shadowing at all and everything is happy and growing.

Mixed reef.

If the tank is any longer than 24" than you will need either 2 or another fixture.

I'd recommend a kessil a360w. They're hands down imo the best light on the market. Get the mounting arm and the controller. They're a little more expensive than others but the color blending and shimmer are the best I've seen of any fixture. It's deceptively powerful so start low, my lfs has a few of them set up beside other brands and kessil wins easy.

Archived