Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoBox Unit Constructive Talk : Changes, Discussion, Ideas

DaveFason

This is something that I have been wanting to do in the past but never pushed for it. With the customer base growing I want to hear what you would like to see in future NanoBox units. This is really open from software, features, looks, LED's, etc.

I have a few BIG things in the works. I have now moved to a new machinist, new anodizer and have access to injection molding. More resources than ever!

I will start with a few items that have been on my list for some time.

• Better solution for gooseneck mount
    • Easier to use and larger for more tanks
      • This can be hard with the wide variety of tanks but believe something for 90% tanks is feasible
    • Solution for Wide Quad
    • More "secure" solution
      • Current version will not go anywhere but if you accidentally force, there is a chance
      • Wider and a bit "deeper"
  • Easy change system for gooseneck to hanging kit
    • Currently in the works - You can do this now but requires taking unit apart
  • No fan control
    • Fan syncs with heat temp on unit. In the works.
  • Quick disconnect - Not hard wired
    • Something I have wanted to do for years but the cost of a 14 conductor connector is nuts. However new things are in the works.
  • All in one NanoBox unit
    • Everything internal , only external power supply
  • Better UI for the APP
    • Easier functions for programming the timing, colors, etc
    • Better look to UI
    • Better explanation for morning - day - evening - night
    • Multi user login
    • Slave lights
    • Preset colors - 10-14-1-20K
  • Higher CRI white LED
    • Working every day on this. Pricing in the biggest thing. I already use ~85CRI
  • No build time unless truly custom
    • In the works - ETA summer
    • Working on a couple large website
  • Hybrid unit
    • New style Hybrid using Philips ballasts, sleek design but using true reflectors like ATI
  • Growth Rate Study
    • Much like Ecotech & Philips - I love the idea but have not had the resource to do until now
  • Part Store
    • For units out of warranty or "opps" moments. Easy to order system for parts.

Please keep this consecutive. I would love to hear what you guys would like to see!

-Dave

• Like 4
burtbollinger

• Path to Upgrade planning....older units can be upgraded with newer LED as tech changes for a fee. The idea that you're buying something that isnt necessarily obsolete in the mid-term future.

Less fan revving during cloud mode enabled.

Storms off when the lights are off.

Better presets. Common settings for common tanks.

Nanobox FAQ section in app. (common settings, height above tank, etc)

Better explanation for morning - day - evening - night.

• Like 2

I was pretty sure you could already do this....Path to Upgrade planning

You have already mentioned most of mine, but I would like to see more growth in the Fresh Water. I love your lights, but I did have a hard time getting a setting on the Flare that I loved. Maybe too much time looking at my reef and comparing the two. :)

• Like 1

*Ability to connect multiple units (I have a duo and I may upgrade tanks and want to add another's

* Color presets for specific needs (softy/LPS, SPS growth, SPS color, etc)

* pico light for extra small tanks

• Like 3

One thing about the mounting that I would like to see is some way to make the gooseneck mounting work for peninsula tanks. Maybe having the mounting bit be more on top or something, like the Radions have? That could tie into making it easier to switch between gooseneck and hanging, too. I don't know. It's just that with all the peninsula-style tanks coming out (Innovative Marine's line, those Artfully Acrylic Drop-off tanks, and it's rumored that a peninsula style series is in the works for Red Sea), it really sucks that there is no good way for Nanobox users who can't have the lights hanging to use your lights on those kinds of tanks. I mean you can use the gooseneck and mount it on one of the long sides of the tank, but I think we can all agree that that really disrupts the aesthetic.

I'd also like to second burtbollinger's call for a system of upgradeable LED pucks, like Radion has. I mean, the bodies of your lights are really sturdy and could easily last a lifetime. It would be great if there were a way to just upgrade the LEDs as you come out with better arrays. (Of course, there would probably reach a point like with the Radions where the body would have to be upgraded to be compatible with the newest LED pucks, but it would at least extend the lifetime of the lights. I think that's a big selling point.)

• Like 2

All lights can be upgraded with new LEDs. Except for the first run of units from almost 5 years ago. The only issue is you do have to solder. I'm working on an easy connector that should fix this!

Great stuff already guys!

• Like 1

Offer alternative non gooseneck option. More and more vendors are moving away from goosenecks because they are hard to shape exactly the way you want. The Nanobox unit itself is beautiful and it's annoys me when the gooseneck is slightly bent the wrong way and it's a pain to get it exactly the way I want it. I like Kessil's new mount option that allows you to adjust vertically and horizontally.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 4

Offer alternative non gooseneck option. More and more vendors are moving away from goosenecks because they are hard to shape exactly the way you want. The Nanobox unit itself is beautiful and it's annoys me when the gooseneck is slightly bent the wrong way and it's a pain to get it exactly the way I want it. I like Kessil's new mount option that allows you to adjust vertically and horizontally.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

This would be awesome! This should also allow people to rotate the fixture for peninsula style tanks.

• Like 3
burtbollinger

Offer alternative non gooseneck option. The Nanobox unit itself is beautiful and it's annoys me when the gooseneck is slightly bent the wrong way and it's a pain to get it exactly the way I want it.

This has driven me absolutely insane. I'm currently scared to touch the light for fear of slightly knocking it out of wack.

• Like 6

This has driven me absolutely insane. I'm currently scared to touch the light for fear of slightly knocking it out of wack.

I don't know about the Nanobox goosenecks but I know the Kessil ones are pretty sturdy. Mine has only been up for about two months so I'm not completely sure how it will end up later on.

• Like 1

Although the Tide is already small enough,I think something even smaller for the pico world would be awesome. Something 2 channels,like the old 11up's,but in a 6 or 8 led package.. Seeming vase reefs are very popular right now,something for them would be cool too,like a circular shaped fixture,and a some type of mounting.

Even just a smaller array would be something to think about like I mentioned above just for reefers to retro. Are you able to source the Aquamarine Blue's that Rapid carries ?

• Like 1

Cleaner wiring. The only thing I don't like about the lights is when you look at the actual arrays the wiring is all over the place. Maybe drill a hole to the side of the solder points and hide the wiring behind the heatsink.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Cleaner wiring. The only thing I don't like about the lights is when you look at the actual arrays the wiring is all over the place. Maybe drill a hole to the side of the solder points and hide the wiring behind the heatsink.

There is no separate heatsink, that is the body itself. Makes it much more difficult.

• Like 2

There is no separate heatsink, that is the body itself. Makes it much more difficult.

Not on ATI Retros. Either way. I think it needs to be cleaned up. It is a premium product and I really think the wiring needs to be extra tidy.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Not on ATI Retros. Either way. I think it needs to be cleaned up. It is a premium product and I really think the wiring needs to be extra tidy.

Gotcha. But if you're spending more time looking at the underside of the light than what's under it... I can understand if you were standing in front of the tank and the fixture looked like shit (been there, done that), but I think worrying about the wiring inside the fixture is a small problem :)

• Like 2

Gotcha. But if you're spending more time looking at the underside of the light than what's under it... I can understand if you were standing in front of the tank and the fixture looked like shit (been there, done that), but I think worrying about the wiring inside the fixture is a small problem :)

Not for me. Pretty big deal. When sitting on my couch I can see the underside of the light. I want it to be clean.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
flatlandreefer

Although I do not currently have a nanobox, I think the potential of a hybrid t5-led would be very intriguing and something that is not commonly offered by the main led manufacturers.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Not for me. Pretty big deal. When sitting on my couch I can see the underside of the light. I want it to be clean.

.... how in the world can you see the wiring through the light :P

• Like 4

Although I do not currently have a nanobox, I think the potential of a hybrid t5-led would be very intriguing and something that is not commonly offered by the main led manufacturers.

You can get ATI and other T5 fixtures retrofitted with nanobox LEDs but unfortunately he doesn't have a prebuilt hybrid fixture. That would definitely be awesome. Honestly I think a combination with 2 T5HO is the best form of lighting. The T5s really help with color mixing and while these LEDs don't usually have issues with colors breaking up or anything like that, they can really help with shadowing and giving nice even look to the tank.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

You can get ATI and other T5 fixtures retrofitted with nanobox LEDs but unfortunately he doesn't have a prebuilt hybrid fixture. That would definitely be awesome. Honestly I think a combination with 2 T5HO is the best form of lighting. The T5s really help with color mixing and while these LEDs don't usually have issues with colors breaking up or anything like that, they can really help with shadowing and giving nice even look to the tank.

Uh, what? Nanobox has had their hybrid fixtures for about two years now. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/357361-nano-box-hybrid-pricing-pictures-info/

• Like 3

Well, I think this is a great topic. I have been running my Duo since Jan 1, Changing from a 5year old Kessel A350. I like the light fixture,But am not as impressed and I would have liked to be,Honestly. Having Controll, and the Bluefish App, I like. The Mounting arm and its appearance,Well that's a whole other topic.

#1 The Arm mount is Flimsey and very weak compared to the Kessel Mount, which is a concern. This Mount will NOT stay straight, and the Bend will not stay , not matter what I do. This is an Issue in a house of OCD people ;) I finally have it as close to acceptable as possible to the Wife, but am scared to touch if for fear of it going crooked again.

#2 The mount should Not be a part of the light, but should attach to the fixture itself, allowing the consumers the ability to utilize Other mounting options without having to dismantle it.

#3 There should be options, giving the consumer a choice, on how to mount their light. Other manufacturers in the industry offer Mounting choices, and I think this would benefit you greatly!

#4 There should be a disconnect or Plug at the Bluefish Box, allowing the ability to run the wires through a small cut out, or hole.

Currently I have to have the Bluefish behind my stand, and not in my stand, because it won't fit thru my cord cut outs. This is the only piece of equipment I have to do this with.

The quality of the fixture, and its appearance are great, just need some improvements on how it is mounted for use.

My 2 Cents......Shane

• Like 5