Pod Your Reef

Chemical filtration ideas for built in sump.

Muges

I have a 25 gallon tank with built in sump that currently has the media that was included with the tank. 2x polishing pads 4x course sponges, 4x bio ball bags, 2x carbon bags and also has a skimmer.

My question is i have more mechanical filtration back there than i need and would like to replace some with chemical filtration. as im new to marine id like to know what would be the most important ones id need. Phosguard? Purigen? anything else?

I personally wouldn't use bioballs or sponges.

Filter floss or filter sock.

For chemical: a good carbon like matrix, purigen, and phosguard(as needed)

So with a saltwater tank you don't usually need bio media such as bio balls, ceramic rings, etc. In freshwater tanks those medias are needed as that is where a lot of the bacteria will grow since there isn't usually enough rock and sand in the display. For saltwater tanks, there is plenty of surface area for bacteria to grow in the display tank so you don't really need any of that stuff. These medias can actually cause a problem as detritus can often build up which will then be converted to nitrate. Usually people simply use a filter sock or filter media as the first line of filtration. Both of these are easy to pull and should be replaced/cleaned weekly (or even more frequently based on feeding, number of socks, etc.). This way you can pull that detritus out of the tank before it begins to break down into nitrate which is much harder to remove from the tank. If all the water is running through the sock/floss then this is the only mechanical filtration that you will need.

In regards to chemical media, most people will run carbon and then something for phosphates. The phosphate media is optional and not all will use it. I think GFO is probably one of the most common.

Thanks for that reply that was very helpful. My tank is still in its early stages of cycling so would you recommend I leave all of the sponge filters in until it is cycled?

Thanks for that reply that was very helpful. My tank is still in its early stages of cycling so would you recommend I leave all of the sponge filters in until it is cycled?

pull them right away or you risk going through a mini cycle, bacteria will set up in sponge and when you remove it, it causes a small cycle. all you really need for mechanical is floss or a sock, i only use chemical filtration if there is a need to.

I would pull all the excess stuff out now. It may delay the cycle in the short term but it you can run into issues with removing it later on as others have noted. Just run your filter floss or whatever is your mechanical filtration and that's about it. You can also start breaking in your skimmer if you have one. Personally I don't bother with any chemical filtration while cycling.

Archived