SaltCritters.com

Should I freeze my hermits?

zacharin0

I want to think my black hermit crabs are causing my montipora to do bad. So a while back, I got my montipora. It was a little bleached and decided I wanted to save it. It became a brilliant pink and was thriving. Later, I soon added a few hermit crabs. One of the first things I noticed was that they were pooping white cylinders and not normal brown loafs. My montipora also had spots of flesh and calcium structure dug away. I thought it was my calcium and alkalinity levels. So I ordered a calcium and alkalinity test kit. My magnesium is a little high but goes in ratio with everything else. Calcium-510 ppm Alkalinity-9.8 dkh Magnesium-1500 ppm. Other pieces of my montipora that aren't exposed to the hermit crabs are thriving. Also, the spots that seem eaten away are where the hermits hang out most of the day. I don't have a sump I can put them in, and sit here without a car to return them. Freeze or let them stay? I don't want my montipora to be eaten more! I only have 3 btw.

I want to add more snails too and I don't want fighting lol just tell me to freeze them!

They also ate my first signs of coralline algae

What kind of hermits are they? Pictures? lfs or another reefer might give them a home. I only keep one in my display since they tend to argue and cause havoc. But mine does his job.

There are some species of hermits that aren't reef-safe. I once brought home a white-spotted monster that nearly offed my entire snail population and was barreling through my corals. Needless to say, I returned him to the store.

I've never seen any of my hermits eat coral. They will pick algae off them.

Are you sure yours are reef safe?

You sure you don't have a nudibranch or something else is wrong with the monti?

Crabs that run out of food will resort to eating less savory things like coral. You could try giving them something else to eat like sinking fish food, or just take them to the LFS, no sense in killing them if you can trade for a frag.

I've banned hermits from my tanks. But that's because they were eating snails instead of garbage. I haven't had them bother coral, but you never know.

Archived