ReefCleaners.org

Slow and Boring Reefer 250 Build

WRX

I'm finally getting around to creating a thread for my Reefer 250. It's going to be a slow and boring build with infrequent updates, but it's a start!

This is my second Red Sea Reefer, I liked the 170 I had so much that I upgraded to the 250. Tank plans are several smaller fish, right now just some clowns and a Helfrichi. Eventually I'll throw in a bunch of sps.

FTS

Dry rock from Reef Cleaners

NanoBox Retro

2 MP40s on rear wall

20170107_194137_zpsxin7el0e.jpg

Pair of clowns from Nemo's Reef in Matthews, NC.

20170105_151830_zps6iljbg5h.jpg

Deltec SCA 1351

Reefdreams baffle - took 3 days from order to delivery and they are in the UK!

Spectrapure ATO and ro/di in garage

PM ATO container

Finnex fuge light

Vectra M1 return

20170116_215939_zps91wpcnsy.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a 6x24w ATI Supower? Have you already done the retro?

I am thinking of going the same route with mine.

Yep, 6x24. I bought it from Dave at NanoBox Reef. He did the retro, it's a 4 bulb T5 now with 4 LED pucks.

I have an ugly hair algae outbreak right now. I dosed Vibrant on Wednesday and it's about half gone. I'm impressed.

Vibrant is working for me, I'm very impressed.

Hair algae outbreak:

20170201_171247_zpsputrhvhl.jpg

6 days after using Vibrant 1 time, no manual removal of algae:

20170207_175359_zpsclxj1nu7.jpg

How many smaller fish can I keep in this tank?

Current stocking is 2 clowns, tail spot blenny, 3 chromis, and a firefish.

• 4 weeks later...

BattleCorals tester pack.  Left to right:

BC goldilocks, forest fire digitata, Brad's insane defuego, and BC secale.  

A+ job on the packaging.  I dipped everything and they were all spotless.  I highly recommend Battlecorals, very easy to work with. 

20170302_110309.jpg

6 hours ago, Shoob1e said:

that's awesome how well vibrant worked for you. nice black ice clown, and battle corals carries some fire!

Thanks!  Vibrant totally exceeded my expectations.  

I have 2 MP40s in the tank, one on each side of the overflow.  There are still a few dead spots on the tank, and if I turn the MP40s up its a sandstorm.  I really don't like the "earmuffs" look of having the MP40s on each side of the tank.  

Would a pair of gyre XF230 on each side of the overflow eliminate all dead spots without blowing sand all over?  I've seen mixed reviews about the amount of noise they make, feedback from anyone who has used one would be appreciated.  

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 0:42 PM, reef-luva said:

sweet set up

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered 2 XF230 to put on the back wall.  I really like not having anything on the 3 viewing panes.  

I cleaned up the sump a little yesterday.  Vectra is still silent, Deltec is still skimming great, and the DOS was really easy to setup.  

Macros and critters in the sump from IPSF are growing and breeding.  So far so good!

20170313_093847.jpg

Gyres are installed, great flow.   No sand being blown around, and no detritus collecting on the sand.  A little louder than I was hopong, but I'll give them a chance to quit down.  To me they sound similar to MP40s pre quiet drive.

20170317_082703.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gyres didn't work out, too noisy for me.  As much as I didn't want the MP40s on the sides, it's the best solution.  

20170414_124957.jpg

I was trying to get my 2 favorite fish in one picture, but couldn't get the focus right.  The PSW isn't bothered at all when I get near the tank, but the second the phone comes out it runs away.  The clowns on the other hand, it's nearly impossible to take a picture without them being front and center.  

20170414_124910.jpg

20170414_125238.jpg

Nope, but it was extremely skittish at first.  If I'd get anywhere near the tank, it would hide.  Now it only hides if I am doing something in the tank.

Archived