SaltCritters.com

New to saltwater, need equipment and lighting advice

jesseatam

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I thought beginners would be the most appropriate for me.

So, hi I'm Jesse and I've lurked on these forums for far too long without making an account but finally decided to after I just purchased a 30 gallon that I plan on turning into a reef. I've had moderate experience with freshwater so I'm not completely new to fishing as a whole. My question however comes from my recent trip to my lfs. I originally planned on only using a skimmer, a powerhead, and the live rock in the tank itself as filtration but the owner of the store said I wouldn't need a skimmer and recommend a normal hob filter and a UV sterilizer (not sure what exactly this does or how it works) and said if I really wanted the skimmer I could add it later. I still plan on going with my original idea as I've read on here and other forums that I could get away with just a nice amount of live rock as filtration if I really wanted to but his advice made second guess my choice so I decided to come here for other opinions. Also, I need help when it comes to lighting, skimmer choice, a nice powerhead, and just any equipment in general. For lighting, I'm leaning towards LEDs but the places I've look they're all so expensive, I know in this hobby you get what you pay for but that doesn't make the paying any less painful. I just need help determining amount of light I would need and where to buy it. The tank is just a standard 30 gallon and coral wise I was just thinking softies or maybe an lps or two, nothing too crazy. For skimmers, I've narrowed it down to two choices, the tunze 9004 or the reef octopus 100. My only concern about the tunze is the in tank footprint as the tank is just a bare bone 30 gallon with no compartments or sump. And finally, as a newbie is there anything else all you experienced hobbyists recommend me to get that would’ve helped all of you when you were starting out? Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay. :)

burtbollinger

here's an essay in return :)

• your freshwater experience won't transfer as well as you might imagine. I did freshwater for 20 years and the switch was brutal because I was cocky and there was no internet.
  • you have a barebones 30 so you probably want the normal HOB filter. You can research what HOB people recommend and what to place inside of it.
  • you certainly do not need a UV sterilizer.
  • I do like skimmers at 30g and over. Of the 2 you mention, you want the reef octopus because it is HOB. You can get this later. It is not necessary right away....or possibly ever depending on what you research and decide on.
  • with the LPS, you gonna need to get a proper light. you want a proper light anyway.
  • I would recommend a single AI Prime HD...due to its low cost and effectiveness. It's spread will be slightly less than ideal, but will likely be good enough if this is a true budget build.
  • for cheap powerhead, I think I'd look at the Jaebo powerheads. Not sure what's up with the Rossmount Movers....too new to recommend just yet I think. For more expensive, I'd do an MP10.
  • as a newbie you must go slow and ask questions before each move. you must also learn the importance of calcium and alkalinity and what the proper parameters should be.
  • At 30g, I'd be looking to make and mix my own water as soon as you can afford to. This means buying an RO/DI unit and purchasing a salt to mix.
  • As for costs, there is just no way around the fact that this is an expensive hobby. IMO, invest your initial funds in good equipment and test kits before adding corals, etc.
  • post all questions here, or feel free to PM in a pinch.
  • As a newbie, again, my best advice is go slow, ask questions, understand alkalinity, buy a refractometer and be in control of your own water. More than with freshwater, imagine you are not keeping a box with fish and corals, but you are keeping a box of water. you need to do everything to make sure it's ideal parameter-wise.
  • other random stuff....when it comes to heaters, you will want to get a controller on your heater when you can. Run away heaters in the on position can be very bad.
  • be careful with 'invasive' corals that spread too rapidly and dominate your tank. you'll want to keep them isolated or not add. this includes ugly palys, green star polyps, xenia, kenya trees....etc. research all corals and their needs before you add.
  • finally, the videos at bulk reef supply's youtube page are a great resource. I'd watch as many as you can at 1.5x speed...really get to understand the basics.
burtbollinger

Thank you, just for clarification though do you recommend the normal hob plus the skimmer or just one or the other?

both. I would do a HOB filter that I personally would run chemi-pure elite in...and maybe some Poly Filter. I think people use Aquaclear 70 and stuff....you will want to research this.

Then, for a skimmer I would use an HOB skimmer. I personally would go with the Aquamaxx HOB-1, but if that's too expensive, you could go with something as old and cheap, used (and noisy) as an old Aqua C Remora....or that Reef Octopus you mentioned.

If budget is tight, the skimmer can certainly be added later. Or perhaps you will get enough advice and research under your belt that you decide not necessary. I would certainly run one though.

SelectedByNature

ah okay, are there any hob filters in particular that you would recommend or would any be able to work?

Welcome to NR!!!!

People seem to swear by their aquaclear hob filters on this site. I personally have aquaclear filters in some fresh water tanks and they are definitely fine. I think the main reason people also push those filters (other than longevity and reliability) is because you can get a custom-made intank media basket for it.

I'm a fan of seachem products and I really like the concept behind the new tidal filters. Sicce pumps in them and they have a built-in surface skimmer. I'm fairly sure no one has used one of those for a reef tank yet though as they are new from like December. Perhaps disregard that filter for that reason but they look solid!

This is definitely an expensive hobby!!!! I hate scaring people off by saying that because I want everyone to experience this amazing hobby, but it's the truth. Have a stable income and try to get decent equipment the first time around (or maybe Craigslist/Kijiji?).

+1 to what Burt said.

Best of luck!!

Welcome

I would do an hob filter. Many like aquaclears and they are good but i actually prefer the Api Superclean.

The superclean has a completely controllable flow, two intakes so it pulls water from 2 different levels in the tank, and it comes with a surface skimmer. My surface is spotless now.

For an hob i would use good carbon in s media bag. Matrix carbon or kent. Rinse the bag weekly and change carbon every 3 weeks. Purigen is another good option as well. Filterfloss, buy it in bulk, cut to size and change 2 times a week.

You can wait on the skimmer. If you are diligent with waterchanges, you should be fine.

The uv sterilizer- i don't use them.

Lighting- unfortunately if you want corals, this is the most expensive aspect.

There are a few options, some are decent prices some very expensive.

Aquamaxx nemolight- good for softies and lps. An sps at the top will work but not hard to keep sps. Programmable and very sleek looking.

Current orbit- same as above

Mars Aqua- has good reviews and affordable will work

Ai Prime Hd- keep anything

Nanobox- keep anything

Thank you guys for all the hob filter advice, I'm definitely planning on getting one for my setup now. As far as the lighting goes I really like the AI prime but it's lighting profile doesn't really fit my tank dimensions, I also like the nanobox although they're a bit out of my price range i might be able to add some extra funds to my budget if you guys think they're worth it over the other lights. The two that are in the lead right now are the current orbit and the aquamaxx nemolight due to their price point and dimensions. If i did go with one of those two would the 24-36 inch size be the most suitable? and also if i end up going the more expensive nanobox route which model would be the best for my tank size?

burtbollinger

if i end up going the more expensive nanobox route which model would be the best for my tank size?

Assuming its a 30g cube...for nanobox, you're looking at the nanobox duo.

At 30g, an unfortunate side effect of the size is that the lights needed to cover it get pricier. People too often get the tank first, when what they should be focusing on is the light first.

lighting is vital and if you can extend your funds, this is the place to do it. I would tell any friend to delay the tank if necessary in order to save funds for the proper lighting.

If your tank is a 30L, the two above lights are a bare minimum, and you may experience some slight dimness on the side. many go with pairs at this length...which gets even more expensive. As such, maybe consider just a single long fixture that covers everything.

If its a standard 30g, stick with the longer fixtures if you don't want to purchase multiple pendant lights because most won't give you coverage with just one.

Many have success with aquamaxx and orbits.

Before anything get an RO/DI unit bud. Get familiar with it, this is paramount to reef keeping.

meanwhile, learn about the cycling, and about the proper measurements for all parameters required for a thriving tank (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, ph, salinity, temperature).

Before anything get an RO/DI unit bud. Get familiar with it, this is paramount to reef keeping.

meanwhile, learn about the cycling, and about the proper measurements for all parameters required for a thriving tank (calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, ph, salinity, temperature).

I was planning on buying a unit until my lfs owner said i could just get my RO water from him. I already have a pretty good grasp on basic water chemistry and the nitrogen cycle all i really need todo is look into more is the trace elements.

Also i have another equipment question, about how much water turnover or gph should i be aiming for with the powerhead(s) and is it more advantageous to have a single stronger powerhead or multiple less powerful ones?

burtbollinger

Buying and lugging LFS water is an annoying grind, if you were planning on an RO/DI you should really get one. Not to mention trusting LFS water

This hobby is water. Control your water. MAking and mixing your own water is the biggest game changer possible and why dude mentions you should get it first.

I prefer 2 smaller powerheads to one large. Preferably controllable

If i had the option to purchase my own ro/di, I would but I buy my own distilled...i simply don't trust lfs to have quality water nor may it be ro/di, just ro..

As for gph. Minimum is 20 times water volume, if sps its more.

If the tank is 20g or under one powerhead shouls be fine but 30g, 2 smaller units is better and controllable is really nice.

I had a koralia- nice but not powerful

Sicce- nice and provided a good flow

I switched to the jebao sw-2 and I really like being able to switch the type of wave making, the speed etc.

Thank you guys for all of this, I've ordered pretty much all of the equipment that I think I need except the for the powerheads and a good test kit (which I just might pick up at the lfs). I did take all of your advice and added a hob filter to the build, for the small extra cost I think it'll have a nice impact on water quality. I'll try to keep this updated as things develop and what not and maybe even start a tank thread when everything comes and i finally set the tank up, although that probably won't happen for a few weeks.

I was planning on buying a unit until my lfs owner said i could just get my RO water from him.

Read that over buddy, of course he wants you to buy it from him. You will appreciate having your own filtration system at home. everyone benefits, your fish and your family.

As for the flow, don't bother with numbers. depending on the coral that you house. If you have SPS then probably a couple of really great powerheads to ensure strong enough and variable flow, on the other hand if you only keep zoas or low flow coral, or even a lagoon, then perhaps low flow is best.

Multiple pumps will also ensure that you have no dead spots, but that is besides the strength of the flow. which if you have a low flow system your maintenance increases because you need to stay on top of blowing off fish poop from the rocks and vacuum the sand more anally.

I run an MP10 and an MP40 in a 50gallon display, both at opposite sides of the tank, but not exactly opposite of each other, offset a little to the side so the flow is random at all times.

Archived